U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,884 times

Advertisements

I'd strongly suggest you check out Old Village if you are in the DI price range and looking for a more "authentic" community feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM

786 posts, read 1,049,736 times
I'm pretty sure that both the movie Truman Show and the clinical diagnosis of OCD were both based on I'on.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM

259 posts, read 354,681 times
I do not have kids so if i did of the calculus would be different and i really like DI.

To me it represents peace and serenity. Just feel instantly
relaxed when i return home. I like the feeling of being tucked away and removed a bit.

To me the charleston metro is a small town so i go all over, downtown,beaches, etc nothing seems far to me.

No contest the" small town" motif is contrived and not natural but it works for me. Don't cook much
so Publix is great,like the paths and we get great concerts,festivals etc yr round.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 20,753 times
DI is the most exclusive & prestigious place to live in and around Charleston. If you can afford it, don't think twice.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm981 View Post
DI is the most exclusive & prestigious place to live in and around Charleston. If you can afford it, don't think twice.
This is an interesting observation ... 'exclusive' is a subjective term to a great degree to begin with.

As a person who is considering moving to Charleston but who has never lived there, what in you estimation makes DI more exclusive than say I'on, Historic Mount Pleasant, South of Broad, Kiawah Island, or Sullivan's Island? (I'm sure there are other exclusive neighborhoods that I am not familiar with).

The reason I ask is that the only (admittedly limited) way to measure exclusivity is desirability as expressed in ppsf ... and all the neighborhoods I mentioned fetch higher $psf than DI. And this would make Charleston the only city I know of where the most exclusive neighborhood isn't even in the top five price wise.

I'm just trying to understand if this exclusivity you mention is more an indication of your personal tastes/bias or true general consensus and common knowledge to the locals.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Very simple. Real estate is limited. All your other areas can/will grow or decline. Living on an island is unparalleled compared to unlocked land. Smartest way to go if you have means to afford the high prices that's all.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:44 PM

I don't think South of Broad is growing any time soon, neither will Sullivan's or Kiawah.

However you did answer my question inadvertently ... so thank you.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM

22,870 posts, read 12,203,928 times
If you know your lifestyle, you will know immediately what suits you best.

We could afford Daniel Island but it wasn't for us. Maybe it is because we are past the little kid stage and bike paths and pumpkin walks (it will happen). Maybe it is because in order to dine anywhere you have to go off island.
It's not enough of an island feel to make up for the feeling of isolation for me.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I don't think South of Broad is growing any time soon, neither will Sullivan's or Kiawah.

However you did answer my question inadvertently ... so thank you.
Yes, they are and they will. You need to look at your map closely and how dynamics are changing at each ends (east/west sides) of places you have mentioned. just because you have made a decision based on what you think is right doesn't mean it's the golden rule. Just let me know if you need further help and I can consult you further. and this is not a backhanded compliment to you

Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM

I have not made a decision, that is in fact why I asked the question.

But your statement that DI is "the MOST exclusive & prestigious", is apparently based on the fact that it is an island and that makes real estate limited. Then when I pointed out that that is also the case in KI and in SI and that SoB is a clearly defined limited area without possibility of further growth lest they extend the Charleston peninsula via landfill, you offer no further reasoning other than the apparent believe that those land masses will somehow grow larger than what they are and therefore offer some previously undeveloped real estate opportunities which would presumably devalue all the other homes somehow.

That's exactly why I said your original answer answered my question by making it clear it's just your personal opinion based on your own preferences and biases. There's obviously nothing wrong in the fact that it's your personal opinion that DI is 'the most exclusive' and your opinion is worth noting and has been noted ... but unless you can offer some evidence to substantiate it, it is limited to just that.

At the end of the day the only opinions that matter are those that folks express with their hard earned money, the fact that they are willing to part with a greater amount of it in other areas of Charleston speaks for itself. That's not to say that DI isn't a wonderful place to live ... in fact it might be the place with the most upside to purchase a home and raise a family. Perhaps from a pure valuation pov DI is today what MP was many years ago.

But none of this makes it: the most exclusive & prestigious place to live in and around Charleston

I guess this is just my long winded way to simply say [citation needed].

---------------------------------

ETA: Aaaanyhot, I didn't mean to come off as snarky, I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind your sentiment.

Last edited by soulsea; 10-30-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or