U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to the Charleston area. Our children are 11, 9 and 4. We are struggling between DI and Mount Pleasant. Although it appears you can get more for your money in MP, is DI worth the extra money? Also looking for feedback on difference in schools. Seems MP has better schools especially the HS Wando. Do most people send their kids to Bishop England HS since it's on the Island? We are looking for a smaller town feel and feel we will get it on DI but don't want to make the wrong choice. Part of the decision is what would be the better investment for the future as well. In your opinion will the value of our home on DI appreciate more than MP? Any feedback would be helpful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM

38 posts, read 50,328 times
My wife and I just took a trip to DI this past weekend. We explored both MP and DI. We felt DI was better suited for us, and worth the added cost. We have two young kids who would be using the DI elem school. I would estimate DI being a better investment long term, as inventory will eventually become very limited once construction is maxed out. DI is also minutes from everything.....great location.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,132,694 times
DI is great for younger kids, I believe the utility wanes as they age. We looked at both and we considered housing cost/size, shopping convienence (unless you're going to Publix you have to go off island), cable/telephone bill, childcare cost, tuition at Bishop England, etc and we just couldn't make the math work. But we are rather conservative with our finances and with two girls need to plan for future weddings.

For young kids the sidewalk community with all the parks is great, but my 9yo doesn't want to go to them anymore. We got a bigger house, more land, more privacy, great schools from primary through HS, a neighborhood full of kids with sidewalks and walking trails and many shopping conveniences all around. What we gave up is a more centralized location. We felt that what we gained far exceeded what we gave up.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM

192 posts, read 343,435 times
I'm going to agree wholeheartedly with IsNull about the "utility waning" as kids age. We have an eleven and twelve year old and moved to Mount Pleasant area about 4 months ago. My son has lacrosse practices out on Daniel Island and he has said many times that he's glad we didn't choose to live there! I think it would be perfect for someone with very young children...it's safe, lovely and has all the amenities one could ask for.

For us, it was too "far out". We wanted to be closer to Charleston (both our children attend private school in town). I think you either love it or not out on Daniel Island. For us, when we drove in we both started humming the theme from The Twilight Zone. It was too "Truman Show". There is a "small town" feel, but it's a bit contrived (in my opinion). We wanted something more authentic. It's also a bit too close to the smell of the paper factory for my tastes, but then I'm a newbie, so maybe I'm not used to it yet!

We have friends who send their kids to Bishop England and make the drive from MP as well as those who have kids in Wando that were once at Bishop England! I think it really depends on what your child needs when they reach that age. We went with a private K-8 school and we will decide which high school fits the bill when the kids reach that age. Luckily, there are plenty of options in the way of private, magnet and good public high schools.

Good luck to you in your decision making process. You are looking at two great and different areas. Enjoy it!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM

85 posts, read 108,788 times
We live on Daniel Island,we have two young children(3 and 5) and we love it here. I can understand the statement that it might wane for the older kids, saying that the community does events though out the year. They just a pumpkin walk which was amazing. We like all the bike paths and rarely use our car if we are going somewhere on the Island. Also the library is good and the staff are helpful.

It is an Island, we do most of our shopping and other errands in Mt Pleasant or North Charleston,our kids go to pre school in Mt Pleasant. Mt pleasant does some great events,recently the Children's festival in Mt P. blow us away.

We rarely smell the paper factory and you can even smell that in Mt. P if the wind is in the right direction.

I believe house prices will remain steady on DI because of another poster has said that their will be limited inventory,where Mt P seems to be forever growing outwards.

There are many threads here about sub divisions in Mt P if you do a quick search that might help you.

Good luck on your move

Old 10-30-2013, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,220 times
IsNull, just wondering what location you chose if you don't mind me asking? MP seems very big and we are coming from a small town in CT but again, I am torn.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,380,316 times
DI if you can afford it

Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM

3,145 posts, read 3,132,694 times
We live in Park West. But you'll need to define what you want in a 'small town feel'. I've lived in small towns and homes on top of each other wasn't 'small town'. What was small town was the relationships I had with my neighbors, the sense of community with the teachers/school, and lighter traffic. But with that came little opportunity for the kids and poor shopping and entertainment options. We have great connections with our neighbors, and our schools have been great. Traffic.. well it has it's ups and downs. I think there are like 14 3rd grade classes at Pinckney, but we've never felt like there were that many from a parents or student's POV. Ours walk over to the rec center for swim practice three times a week.

Ind-limey is correct that it's great to be able to get on your bike and ride to the library. We can't do that from PW, but then when we look at the time we spend at the library, it became a nice to have, but not a necessity. Our section of the neighborhood has a Halloween parade every year.. but that's what we do. The city has their own events. I would estimate that within the Pembrook, Village, Andover, and Masonborough sections of PW, 90% of the homes have kids. We wanted a place where our kids could safely just run outside and play with the neighbors... and we got that in spades now.... 8am on Sat morning the doorbell rings with kids wanting to come in and play spades...

We do have a longer drive than what you have on DI so that's something to consider too. But then when there's accidents and stuff on the bridges.. I tend to have more alternatives...

We loved DI. Yes there is a "Truman Show" feel to it.. I can see how it could be considered fake, but I can respect the emotional draw to it. We just had to sit down with some paper and separate the emotion from the facts of what's important to us and how much is it going to cost. With a higher over all cost of living here, college funds, wedding funds, car savings, retirement savings it was a smarter move for us in MtP. We could have done DI, but as a two income family we wanted to make sure we could maintain on a single salary... if nothing.. recent economic events has proven that dodo can happen to anyone.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 PM

480 posts, read 677,043 times
Haha - Glad I am not the only one that gets "The Truman Show" feel.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM

38 posts, read 50,328 times
To me, there really is nothing in Mt Pleasant that compares to DI. If you have older kids or no kids, then you can live on the Daniel Park side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or