Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 02:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
LOL that is hilarious. Personally, I'm not happy about those in Washington losing jobs, I just can't stand unions. They were relevant 100 years ago not now. I'm sorry, but I don't think unskilled labor is entitled to the same as those that fought their way through continued education. I've read up on Boeing's HR and hiring practices and I must say, I'm impressed. Unions only get in the way.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 11-10-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
They're lamenting the possibility of losing jobs there so I can understand the worry, etc. I just wish it didn't mean that some of them needed to put down our citizens. I have absolutely nothing against their citizens and I hope the best for them. I still hope Boeing chooses to locate their new line here since it could be a good thing for us here. At least Boeing is still staying in the United States and not choosing to move the line overseas.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:02 PM

And those familiar with the wonderfulness that is this area will certainly agree that Boeing will have no problem with obtaining skilled labor here. If they aren't here already, they will come.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
I do agree that in many situations unions have outlived their business model. That said, if not for the threat of "unionization", management would bend the typical worker over the table and have at them.

I have never been a union member. I come from management. If I have to ravage you to make my numbers, then bend over and grab your ankles. Come Monday when you are gone and I still have a "paycheck and benefits", that will sooth any pangs of guilt/sorrow I had.

Someone once said it hurts to let people go. I replied, what hurts more is being the one let go.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,526 times
looks like all the yahoos in WA may (unfortunately for us) be coming to their senses.... It doesn't look like they are going to vote against the new contract. The avg guy there turning a wrench is making 80k a year with incredible benefits. It amazes me that they are complaining...

Old 11-11-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
looks like all the yahoos in WA may (unfortunately for us) be coming to their senses.... It doesn't look like they are going to vote against the new contract. The avg guy there turning a wrench is making 80k a year with incredible benefits. It amazes me that they are complaining...
Source? All that is on the wire is the lawmakers signing the tax incentives but that has nothing to do with how the workers feel.

The latest I have read was that they were going to start a rally tonight AGAINST the contract. Union dissention is no funny business. Some people may feel pressured to go against it even if they don't want to...

Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,526 times
just been reading through all the posts on Seattletimes. Sounded like there were quite a few that were actually going to vote to accept it as is. They know deep down Boeing isn't bluffing and will pull the rug out from underneath them.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesposito View Post
just been reading through all the posts on Seattletimes. Sounded like there were quite a few that were actually going to vote to accept it as is. They know deep down Boeing isn't bluffing and will pull the rug out from underneath them.
Those are the kinds of Unions that beat you if they find out you went against the grain. Good luck to them.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Those are the kinds of Unions that beat you if they find out you went against the grain. Good luck to them.
Coming from the Midwest myself, I was used to unions not so much beating people up as making life unpleasant (slashing tires, revoking benefits at various places, workplace harrassment, verbal abuse, etc).

Not so here so much... the unions out here are pretty mellow. Yeah you'll get the odd intimidation or verbal argument sorta thing but the culture out here is what I would call a liberal libertarian mindset. Most folks will get into a heated debate then chill down and walk away and put their energy where it matters, in the ballot box. Same goes for politics.

So they'll vote to legalize marijuana and same sex marriage and other environmental stuff (hey we have mountains, rivers that carry salmon runs, and beautiful scenery, why not protect it?), but also vote against labeling GMO foods and most people wouldn't want interventionist nanny state if they can't pay for it. They voted out the state of the liquor biz. Some libs out here have guns and concealed carry is legal here. Yet it's the safest big city for gun violence in the USA and gun ownership is very low. The suburban and rural folks don't despise the city here and vice versa. This isn't your Yankee culture liberals and not your militant Midwest unionists. Very pragmatic. Would be even more centrist if it weren't for the Seattle-Tacoma corridor.

Though I do somewhat sympathize with them. Most aren't earning 80k, that's only the tenured ones with 25 years with the company. And Boeing's made promises before and broke them. You guys are suffering from "new/shiny" things because let's face it, you all needed the jobs and the boost the economy. The only way to go is/was up. Give the company time. They'll show true colors eventually.

It's either gonna pass barely with the old ones wanting to preserve their pensions and the young ones just wanting to keep their job and the middle being split. Or it's gonna flame out spectacularly. In which case, my money is it'll go to you all.

Last edited by eskercurve; 11-11-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Coming from the Midwest myself, I was used to unions not so much beating people up as making life unpleasant (slashing tires, revoking benefits at various places, workplace harrassment, verbal abuse, etc).

Not so here so much... the unions out here are pretty mellow. Yeah you'll get the odd intimidation or verbal argument sorta thing but the culture out here is what I would call a liberal libertarian mindset. Most folks will get into a heated debate then chill down and walk away and put their energy where it matters, in the ballot box. Same goes for politics.

So they'll vote to legalize marijuana and same sex marriage and other environmental stuff (hey we have mountains, rivers that carry salmon runs, and beautiful scenery, why not protect it?), but also vote against labeling GMO foods and most people wouldn't want interventionist nanny state if they can't pay for it. Many libs out here have guns and concealed carry is legal here. Yet it's the safest big city for gun violence in the USA and gun ownership is very low. The suburban and rural folks don't despise the city here and vice versa. This isn't your Yankee culture liberals and not your militant Midwest unionists. Very pragmatic. Would be even more centrist if it weren't for the Seattle-Tacoma corridor.
We wouldn't care for 95% of our days rainy or foggy and being surrounded by hipsters. If that sounds prejudice, perhaps that's the taste of your own medicine.

I got offered a job in Seattle back in May. I promptly didn't call them back.

Your insight on the unions is helpful, but your comments on a region you've probably never been to are a great demonstration of your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area