U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,053,895 times

Advertisements

I would say yes,,,I dont think there is another breed of shark in our southern waters that "can" eat a dolphin.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,954,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Did Mary Lee snack on this dolphin found washed up at Hunting Island Lighthouse which is next to where Mary Lee was pinging?
Story: Shark Attack News: Photo: Did the Famed Great White Mary Lee Have Part of This Dolphin for Lunch?
Probably Mary Lee or one of the other, countless white sharks swimming around our coast.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,051,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
I would say yes,,,I dont think there is another breed of shark in our southern waters that "can" eat a dolphin.......
There are plenty of big tiger sharks swimming in these waters. They could easily take a dolphin. Or, even a large bull shark.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
There are plenty of big tiger sharks swimming in these waters. They could easily take a dolphin. Or, even a large bull shark.
Don't forget the delicious mako shark...

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,798,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLiving View Post
Did Mary Lee snack on this dolphin found washed up at Hunting Island Lighthouse which is next to where Mary Lee was pinging?
Story: Shark Attack News: Photo: Did the Famed Great White Mary Lee Have Part of This Dolphin for Lunch?
It was later updated to be something closer to home.

Quote:
EDIT 11/07 at around midnight EST: We just received word from Walt who runs Beaufort Online and he advised us that the photo was actually from Folly Beach and was taken on 11/01/2013. For some reason, the photo was posted to his page with erroneous information.

Sooo, with that said, it would appear that Ms. Mary Lee is most likely exonerated from this horrific mammal crime. We apologize for any inconvenience or nightmares this story may have caused and we extend our thanks to Walt for setting the record straight.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,053,895 times
,,,some people just dont know about sharks

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 PM

10,646 posts, read 9,013,015 times
Well, speaking of sharks, seems like we got some new ones out there in our SC waters.

New hammerhead shark species found off South Carolina | Fox News
Quote:
When new species are found near populated areas, they are often small and inconspicuous, not, for example, a hammerhead shark.

But that's exactly what a team of researchers discovered along the coast of South Carolina. The new species looks virtually identical to the scalloped hammerhead, but is genetically distinct, and contains about 10 fewer vertebrae, or segments of backbone, new research shows.

The new species, named the Carolina hammerhead (Sphyrna gilbert), gives birth to shark "pups" in estuaries near the shore off the Carolinas, according to a study published in August in the journal Zootaxa.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 PM

5,757 posts, read 3,230,665 times
That poor dolphin. I hope he's okay. Ha.
I have been out on Hunting Island Beach 4 times this week, watching dolphins, so I was bummed when I saw one had been snacked on. Poor little bugger.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Please add a bit more information to the above, abbreviated post.

I am left wondering what you are talking about. There are several shark species that are capable of preying on dolphin...those mentioned here all do...the bull, the tiger, as well as the mako (although they tend to be a bluewater species). I also think everyone should know that there are a good number of white sharks nearshore...not just one or two tagged specimens.

Or are you referring to something else? The drive-by post you made leaves us wondering if there is a real point to be made.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I think I get it now...just re-read your quote above...that statement in turn makes your quote below ring even more true (just not in the way you intended)...

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area