Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:11 AM

7 posts, read 10,027 times

Advertisements

Ok, my husband has a job offer it is not set in stone so I cant say much about it. From reading previous threads I gather the following: Best for your bucks and schools- Summerville, Best area for everything is Mt. Pleasant and for the same thing but more costly, DI. There's lots of bugs and long very sticky, unbearable summers. Need to watch out for crime in certain areas. People are super nice, beaches, mild winter, fun place, lots to do and traffic, well it all depends...

So here is my story we have a sophomore in HS and a second grader my husband if he gets the job is going to be commuting to Kiawah and I am going to need to get a job (office related) because rents are high!!! for a 3/2 in a decent neighborhood. Which I think our best bet will be to move to James Island.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Now, my other concerns: What about Charleston being 100 miles from a few Nuclear Plants and being on a seismic area? What about global warming which means more frequent and intense hurricanes (high home owners ins and it will go higher the more disaster). What about downtown floods (again flood insurance +++) and studies indicating eventually in 30 yrs. Charleston being submerge? Oh yeah I read something about a possibility of a tsunami.

Can someone give their opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ses-wrong.html

Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Talk about a Henny Penny...

Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWEast View Post
Now, my other concerns: What about Charleston being 100 miles from a few Nuclear Plants and being on a seismic area? What about global warming which means more frequent and intense hurricanes (high home owners ins and it will go higher the more disaster). What about downtown floods (again flood insurance +++) and studies indicating eventually in 30 yrs. Charleston being submerge? Oh yeah I read something about a possibility of a tsunami.

Why the hell would anyone want to live in a place like that?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
As far as earthquakes go Summerville is right on a fault line and gets little ones every now and then but we are over do for a big one, same with hurricanes haven't had a big one since Hugo in '89 and haven't even had a little one in the best 5-6 years, the tsunami isn't worth note unless you live outside the east coast since it would effect the entire east coast, and lastly if he would be working on Kiawah island then you are better off getting a home in one of the new neighborhoods in west ashley since it's about half the distance but still pretty far away

Old 11-17-2013, 02:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
As far as earthquakes go Summerville is right on a fault line and gets little ones every now and then but we are over do for a big one, same with hurricanes haven't had a big one since Hugo in '89 and haven't even had a little one in the best 5-6 years, the tsunami isn't worth note unless you live outside the east coast since it would effect the entire east coast, and lastly if he would be working on Kiawah island then you are better off getting a home in one of the new neighborhoods in west ashley since it's about half the distance but still pretty far away
There's actually no such thing as 'being due' for anything with respect to nature. That's about the same as saying a slot machine is 'due to win'. Just doesn't work that way.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

115 posts, read 222,010 times
I'm hiding under my bed tonight!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There's actually no such thing as 'being due' for anything with respect to nature. That's about the same as saying a slot machine is 'due to win'. Just doesn't work that way.
I love when people say that. I remember a few months back when someone posted a link of cities that were overdue for hurricanes!

Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail, great white sharks, Ohioans; it's still worth it!

J/k :sly:

Old 11-17-2013, 03:00 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'll give that to you on the earthquake since we only really have 1 to base it off of but we have been extremely lucky so far not to get hit by a large hurricaine

Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,446,716 times
I think you need something to chill you out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area