Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Needed to return some items ordered online from Macys.

Got in the car, drove to the mall here
....drove around and around it until it dawned on me....there is no Macys here!

I had seen the adverts too and assumed it was right here in Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Charleston's shopping is not that great............

I don't get why Charleston doesn't catch up with the times.
Well, who's fault is that? Certainly not the shoppers. The store decides where to put their stores so I guess they think Greenville and Columbia have bigger markets, not that I agree, but they are the ones to decide, it's their bussiness. You think?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:12 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Quote:
Hahahaha....I don't want to be caught wearing Hollister Forever 21 is even pushing it for me!
I love Hollister! I'm 28 and super tiny, so I have a lot of their polos and long sleeved shirts and a few pairs of pants. It's great for tiny twentysomethings who just want basic clothes that fit. A lot of what I wore when I worked in the corporate office was Hollister.

I can't stand the shirts that have beach scenes and say the name of the store on them, though. I call those walking billboard shirts.

Malls up north are a lot better, but up north, people go to the malls a lot more. Here, we have beaches, rivers, etc. It just seems like people spend more time outside in Charleston, and that's why outdoor shopping, like Tanger and Towne Center, do better than traditional malls (which do great up north).

I actually moved from a smaller town in South Carolina- Florence... and our first trip to Citadel Mall, both my husband and I said that our local mall in Florence, Magnolia Mall, was much nicer. Citadel Mall has made a few good changes lately, getting the Ladle's Soups and the Holy City Pizza. Both are great- although Holy City is there because they won a contest, so hopefully they stay after their free year is up. But Citadel's lost way too many stores and the only new openings are seasonal stores. I wish it could be revamped somehow...

Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Well, who's fault is that? Certainly not the shoppers. The store decides where to put their stores so I guess they think Greenville and Columbia have bigger markets, not that I agree, but they are the ones to decide, it's their bussiness. You think?
Charleston DESERVES a decent mall with GOOD stores. Knock down the Citadel Mall and Northwoods or something and have one nice mall. No need for two crappy malls. For Charleston being named the #1 tourist destination and they can't have decent malls here for the locals and those that visit, it's sad. Heck, Myrtle Beach's mall is a million times better than here. Like I said, Charleston needs to get with the times.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I was actually wondering if it was one of those things that Charleston blocked. ?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Charleston needs to get with the times.
Agree.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
For Charleston being named the #1 tourist destination and they can't have decent malls here for the locals and those that visit, it's sad.
Do people really visit cities for their malls? Seems odd. I mean, I get the Mall of America or King of Prussia, but really? I feel it's like saying you're going to visit a city to look at housing architecture and just end up looking at cookie cutter subdivisions.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Do people really visit cities for their malls? Seems odd. I mean, I get the Mall of America or King of Prussia, but really? I feel it's like saying you're going to visit a city to look at housing architecture and just end up looking at cookie cutter subdivisions.
When I lived in Greenville, I wanted to come to Charleston to not only visit because I love it here, but also because I "thought" it would have great shopping because it seems high-end. Well, I guess that's just King Street and certain areas of Mt Pleasant. Certainly not any of the stores in the malls.

Not everyone that comes here wants to be sightseeing in the sun all day. What about at night? Then why did Myrtle Beach build a massive, new mall if it's just a tourist destination? That mall does very well because the locals shop there and so do the tourists.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
When I lived in Greenville, I wanted to come to Charleston to not only visit because I love it here, but also because I "thought" it would have great shopping because it seems high-end. Well, I guess that's just King Street and certain areas of Mt Pleasant. Certainly not any of the stores in the malls.

Not everyone that comes here wants to be sightseeing in the sun all day. What about at night? Then why did Myrtle Beach build a massive, new mall if it's just a tourist destination? That mall does very well because the locals shop there and so do the tourists.
So in your long list of reasons to move here, #17 was because you thought there was an Express at the mall?

;-)

I kid, but I just don't get it. To me, a mall is a giant place with mostly terrible food options, crappy ambiant music, and the same generic stores. King Street, which has a blend of generic stores with local ones, outdoor on a historic street is just awesome to me. I mean, I'm not saying that I've never been to a mall when visiting a city, it just wasn't on my planned list of things to do that day. Visiting a city for shopping is one thing, but for a mall...?

To each their own of course. I'm light in humor with this message by the way, so no need to take it badly.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,761,924 times
It rains and storms a lot in Charleston in the spring/summer too. Tourist might need something else to do besides outside touring or boating and decide just to check out the area mall. If I were a tourist no doubt I'd rather shop downtown, but I bet some would rather go to a mall if it stormy outside. There really is nothing at the mall for a tourist to write home about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area