U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:56 PM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I would certainly hope that didn't occur. The school has a long enough waiting list for those who actually live in Charleston County I see no reason to open it up to students who live outside. What legal standing would a Berkley County resident have at a Charleston County school?
I believe what it is might be:

"The Daniel Island Property Owners’ Association took the first step in getting Daniel Island annexed into Charleston County when it filed a petition with the Berkeley County Clerk of Court on Nov. 6, said Jane Baker, the association’s vice president of community services. Her group is managing the annexation process at the request of the Daniel Island Neighborhood Association."

I believe the purpose of this is to make Charleston County Schools available to DI residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM

3,131 posts, read 3,114,457 times
If they become part of Charleston County then I'm ok.. but not being in Berkley and sending kids over.. that I have a problem with.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times
DI can be confusing as can other places in SC. As an example. It is patrolled by Charleston City Police. It is part of Charleston City but a deal was struck that the children (due to the distance away?) go to Berkley County Schools. This is not uncommon.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,087,144 times
That's because Daniel Island is part of Berkeley county

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,951,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
That's because Daniel Island is part of Berkeley county
It seems almost too easy doesn't it?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:05 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
I've always wondered why Daniel Island residents are pushing so hard to join Charleston county, where their children will instead join North Charleston High until a new high school is built. And even with that they seem to believe that land value will magically drop on DI proper once they are annexed.

If Berkeley County doesn't have the money for a school on DI proper, what's to say changing counties will make the money magically appear, especially without a giant tax increase. And don't bring up Wando High; we all know it's packed to the brim.

To me the numbers just don't add up, but I may be missing something. It's a better use of time and resources to accept the skyrocketed land value on DI, accept a build on Clements Ferry (it's going to be a retail hot zone in a few years and you'll be visiting there more often anyway), and demand a network of trails and bridges (both pedestrian and bike friendly) dedicated to getting between the new high school and DI proper. When you combine the DI numbers with Cainhoy Plantation's expected numbers, you just have a much better result.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 02-24-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM

3,131 posts, read 3,114,457 times
Yea but it's my understanding you can't build schools based on projected need. When will Cainhoy be production ready?

Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM

22,730 posts, read 12,158,460 times
Daniel Island residents want to join Charleston County because they believe that they will be able to get the schools on Daniel Island they want. They want a high school on the island. Don't you think they should have thought of that BEFORE they bought on Daniel Island...

Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM

3,518 posts, read 4,387,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Yea but it's my understanding you can't build schools based on projected need. When will Cainhoy be production ready?
You can, if you have the money borrowed from another account or from elsewhere. Charleston County is doing something similar with the road construction of Future Drive/Northside/Ingleside. Cainhoy full development is not for at least 7 years. I think I read the first phase to be completed within 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Daniel Island residents want to join Charleston County because they believe that they will be able to get the schools on Daniel Island they want. They want a high school on the island. Don't you think they should have thought of that BEFORE they bought on Daniel Island...
You'd think so. I haven't found an article that has come right out and said it, but I think what happened is that DI and Berkeley County both wanted the high school on DI, but they didn't expect the land value to skyrocket like it did when everything first started. Now you're stuck with a certain amount of money, not enough to build on DI, hence why Clements Ferry is an option. When you throw in the Cainhoy Plantation, it just makes even more sense.

Let's say the number of high school students on DI proper is enough to fund a high school. Based on previous projections, the high school can be ready to be build within 1-2 years. Put that money has already been paid to Berkeley County over the last so-many years. If they join Charleston County, they aren't going to get that money back, then they have to wait longer to build those funds up again.

If it's all empty threats and just to see what Berkeley County will do, that's one way about it, but if land values are just too much, what do you expect them to do? Jack up taxes? Of course they don't want that. Money just doesn't appear even if you disagree with the County's planning so far.

I feel for them and Berkeley County. I just feel like maybe I am missing something. Do I make sense? Does anyone else feel the same way?

Old 10-25-2017, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,273 times
Would love info on private schools near DI. We are in the process of moving down there from MD and looking into the different school options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area