Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

I can't say enough good things about Wando. Biggest downer about size is the traffic and that is manageable. When I drive my child we leave about 7:30, stop at Starbucks for coffee and roll up to the front door just before 8:00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 AM

11 posts, read 21,829 times
Tingum,
So glad to hear that. So you are a DI resident? Do you mind my asking the approximate ages of your kids? I think Ashley Hall and Porter Gaud are the most similar to what we have for privates in NY.
We are thinking of 7th grade to relo in 1 1/2 years. Daughter quite intellectually precocious but also extroverted and needs an environment to encourage other strengths like golf, voice, dance and drama. Happy kid; should adjust well.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM

140 posts, read 279,684 times
My child will be enrolled at Porter Gaud next year but we live in MtP. Logistically it will burn you out with the daily commute to and from Porter Gaud and/or Ashley Hall from Daniel Island. Our closest friends live in Daniel Island and do the daily commute to and from PG for their two children and that does not include extracurricular activities. They are looking to relocate. I might suggest ION in Mount Pleasant. You will shave at least an hour of driving daily and many children attend Charleston Day, PG, Mason Prep, and Ashley Hall live in ION. Feel free to PM me.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:37 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Local MTP joke.

Why is it spelled I'On?

Pretentious was to difficult to spell.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:15 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
I'On may be a tad pretentious but if you look on google earth it's hard to deny that the homes look amazing

Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 AM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times
I live on DI...love it! My kids always went to private schools and when we moved here, they wanted to go to DI. They love it and so do we. Christ our King is where many of the kids who go to private schools on DI go as well as School of the Arts. I don't know of anyone going to Ashley Hall or PG from here (but I'm sure there are some)

Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 AM

259 posts, read 454,227 times
Eh. I lived in Ion and on DI now.

Overall most people have been very friendly. Going to be
a few annoying folks everywhere.

To their credit, neither neighborhood is gated and their parks and festivals
are open to all.

I would imagine that Ion is a big draw with Montessori school in the neighborhood
and O Quinn right next door.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,989 times
Default Further questions on this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klysik View Post
I live on DI...love it! My kids always went to private schools and when we moved here, they wanted to go to DI. They love it and so do we. Christ our King is where many of the kids who go to private schools on DI go as well as School of the Arts. I don't know of anyone going to Ashley Hall or PG from here (but I'm sure there are some)
Thanks for the great posts on this thread!

Klysik... you're referring to Christ our King Stella Maris over on MtP, right? Do you know if they run a school bus or shuttle back and forth to DI by chance?

Also... another poster mentioned Wando as an option for kids from DI. Is there a tuition fee for kids outside MtP for Wando?

Finally, I heard that there was a lawsuit filed by a DI resident that wanted his kids to be able to attend Charleston Magnet High School, and that they came up with a solution that involved the DI parent paying Charleston County the equivalent of what the county spends per year per student to attend CMHS. If anyone could shed any light on this, I would be much obliged.

I too am thinking of moving down from a bit north of SC, and my kids currently go to Catholic School.

Good luck with your decision NiceNYCfam!

Thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmandoo View Post

Finally, I heard that there was a lawsuit filed by a DI resident that wanted his kids to be able to attend Charleston Magnet High School, and that they came up with a solution that involved the DI parent paying Charleston County the equivalent of what the county spends per year per student to attend CMHS. If anyone could shed any light on this, I would be much obliged.
I would certainly hope that didn't occur. The school has a long enough waiting list for those who actually live in Charleston County I see no reason to open it up to students who live outside. What legal standing would a Berkley County resident have at a Charleston County school?

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

243 posts, read 283,010 times
Quote:
I remember seeing something not too long ago about some Daniel Island residence wanting to move from Berkeley to Charleston county. Not really sure what if anything came of it or if they are still trying to change counties but I personally have never really understood Daniel Island being in berkeley county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area