U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 02:04 PM

20 posts, read 43,901 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Having searched all the local Charleston dealers, I didn't find what I was looking for in a new car. Nothing nice mind you, just picky that I want a manual. So while here in Virginia for Thanksgiving, I saw an ad for their Black Friday deals. Of course they have that "one" car at a super low price. Well, I went in today for the heck of it and turns out the one "low priced car" is still available. It's $500 more than in the ad since I don't qualify for one of the incentives, but still a very good price.

Anyway, when doing the calculations, the dealer is charging $1250 for tax as he sees the rate as 8.5% in Charleston where I live. I always though the auto taxes were capped at $300 but can't find anything online if that is still the case. Also, I can't find out how much the property tax would be.

Has the $300 auto tax gone away? And anyway to figure out the property tax for an auto registered in North Charleston? Thanks in advance. I'm leaving the dealer and getting some food until we figure this out. I surely don't want to over pay taxes and then have to go after the dealer for the difference. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 02:22 PM

786 posts, read 1,048,012 times
I'm not sure why you have the dealer handle the taxes at all. I've bought many cars in VA and I got the temp tags until they sent me the title. Then when I got the title I went through DC emissions inspection, then went to DC DMV, paid the sales tax, and they issued me a new title, registration and tags. I'm sure it's the same process no matter what state one resides in.

That said I don't finance my vehicles so perhaps it's a different process.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I'm not sure why you have the dealer handle the taxes at all. I've bought many cars in VA and I got the temp tags until they sent me the title. Then when I got the title I went through DC emissions inspection, then went to DC DMV, paid the sales tax, and they issued me a new title, registration and tags. I'm sure it's the same process no matter what state one resides in.

That said I don't finance my vehicles so perhaps it's a different process.
Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure they're not going to let me leave without paying some sort of state tax, no matter the state. He did say I'd get temp tags and then they would send me the hard plates. Not sure why that is. I'm financing through USAA. It's only a $15k car so not a big sale. But I'd rather pay $300 in taxes than the $1250 he's charging.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM

Well people buy tens of thousands a cars every year on ebay and from out of state dealers, and they never have to pay taxes until they go register the vehicle in their own state of residence. They do it as I described above, and that is to go title and bill of sale in hand to their home state's DMV and pay the tax when they go to title and register the vehicle.

Think of it like a private party sale. If you sold me your vehicle all you would do is sign the title over to me and I would be responsible for registering it and paying all the taxes. All a temp tag really does is give you enough time to do that.

Anyway they're a car dealer, if they're any good at their job they should have easy access to every state's vehicle tax rate ... so if they insist in registering the car for you from Virginia and forwarding you the plates it really shouldn't stump them.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Well people buy tens of thousands a cars every year on ebay and from out of state dealers, and they never have to pay taxes until they go register the vehicle in their own state of residence. They do it as I described above, and that is to go title and bill of sale in hand to their home state's DMV and pay the tax when they go to title and register the vehicle.

Think of it like a private party sale. If you sold me your vehicle all you would do is sign the title over to me and I would be responsible for registering it and paying all the taxes. All a temp tag really does is give you enough time to do that.

Anyway they're a car dealer, if they're any good at their job they should have easy access to every state's vehicle tax rate ... so if they insist in registering the car for you from Virginia and forwarding you the plates it really shouldn't stump them.
I just noticed this on several Ebay dealer sites selling new cars. They all say the same thing, but may not be worded the same way:

"We are required to collect and forward all applicable state and county sales taxes. Tag and title fees not included. Please note, due to the large size of our dealership it may take up to 30 days to receive the title. $99 DOC FEE added to final Bid. Click on Entire Terms and Conditions for Vehicle Inspection Details. Winning bidder must contact us within 24 hours of auction end, and make arrangements for payment at that time."

So they are required to collect the taxes. Now I don't mind that as I'm going to have to pay them one way or another. I guess I'm still stuck on them wanting to charge 8.0% tax ($1250 give or take) or pay the $300 tax cap if that's still the law. A $900 plus difference is pretty big for such a small deal.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Yeah that's a significant amount for a transaction of that size.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help ... like I said I don't finance my vehicles so no matter where I buy them, as long as I show up with a cashier's check and proof of insurance they always issue me temp tags, send me the title within about three weeks, and I take care of the rest in my home state including sales tax.

In fact I just went back and checked the bills of sale/receipts of my last two purchases (one of them from a VA dealer), and both say 'n/a' next to sales tax.

ETA: Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by soulsea; 11-29-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 06:30 PM

10,644 posts, read 9,005,354 times
Here's your page. SC Department of Motor Vehicles
Go to the Purchasing a New or Used Vehicle Section. Relevant information is as follows:

Quote:
Casual Sales Tax. Sales tax totaling 5% of the vehicle purchase price ($300.00 maximum) must be paid when you register a newly purchased vehicle in South Carolina. Truck fees may vary according to the gross vehicle weight of the truck.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:16 AM

22 posts, read 32,871 times
In Virginia you have to pay the Sales Tax before you can drive the car off the lot and get temp. tags.. It is a sales tax that you have to pay. You then need to register the car in county or State that you are living in. In Virginia each county has a personal property tax that you have to pay each year for the car.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:58 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,786,658 times
My guess is the difference between property tax (paid when registering your vehicle in the county you live) and sales tax (paid at the time of purchase and based on the state).

Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbinva View Post
In Virginia you have to pay the Sales Tax before you can drive the car off the lot and get temp. tags.
That is simply not the case if you are not leasing/financing and you reside out of state, in which case you can drive out without paying sales tax until you register the vehicle in your home state and pay said tax at that time. I am away from home (I'm actually in Charleston) but when I get back on Friday I am happy to scan and post the invoice (with my personal info redacted) from my last vehicle purchase in VA which clearly shows this. I mean there's no getting away without paying the tax simply because you have temp tags, because the tags will expire sooner rather than later, and then the vehicle is undrivable until the tax is paid in the home state to get the reg/tags and title.

Exactly the same case in Ohio and Texas where I also purchased vehicles and didn't pay taxes on them until I registered them in my home state (I can post those invoices too), and I imagine it's the same policy across most if not all of the country.

The only reason I can think of that it might be different if one is financing is if the sales tax is part of the total financed sum, hence it has to part of the initial transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area