U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:51 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,857,083 times

Advertisements

Well lets not get hyperbolic, whatsaussrname. Atlanta probably has the biggest traffic woes this side of the Mississippi next to DC, yet its still fastly growing and its projected to pass 6 million people soon. The housinf crash hurt ATL the most at the end of the decade, not the crowds, People still flock to LA, DC, Houston, etc.

Granted these are bigger cities with more to offer, but you hear people complain and complain about the traffic all the time, yet theyre not spelling doom for the cities.

The traffic is a headache, but people arent going to leave in exodus, because theyll just end up...in more traffic. "Charlestons too crowded, im moving to Savannah"...well eventually Savannah will be the same way. And Savannah has more highway, but most of them are crap. "Now Savannahs too crowded, moving to Waycross, GA"...well now where are you going to work and what are you go to do? Yeah you have less traffic now, but also less of everything else.

And no problem Local Hero, you make good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:05 PM

101 posts, read 83,027 times
Quote:
Well lets not get hyperbolic, whatsaussrname. Atlanta probably has the biggest traffic woes this side of the Mississippi next to DC, yet its still fastly growing and its projected to pass 6 million people soon. The housinf crash hurt ATL the most at the end of the decade, not the crowds, People still flock to LA, DC, Houston, etc.

Granted these are bigger cities with more to offer, but you hear people complain and complain about the traffic all the time, yet theyre not spelling doom for the cities.

The traffic is a headache, but people arent going to leave in exodus, because theyll just end up...in more traffic. "Charlestons too crowded, im moving to Savannah"...well eventually Savannah will be the same way. And Savannah has more highway, but most of them are crap. "Now Savannahs too crowded, moving to Waycross, GA"...well now where are you going to work and what are you go to do? Yeah you have less traffic now, but also less of everything else.
Who said I want to move to Savannah? Waycross, GA? I've lived here a very long time, as a matter of fact, all of my life, I love Charleston! And not suggesting an exodus, I'm suggesting that I want to move. It just isn't the same for me anymore. My kids have moved to other parts, grands are living in other parts, and I want to be part of their lives. And, since I have to put up with traffic anywhere I live, I may as well put up with it near my family. And when I move, I pray that I won't have to worry too much about work, if the good Lord allows, I will be retired.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 PM

I was speaking in general, not you specifically.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM

3,132 posts, read 3,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
IsNull and Jandrew5, read my post. I never said 526 shouldn't be built, in fact I said it's needed and inevitable. I was just pointing out the other perspective and how some individuals stand to get screwed in the deal. It's easy to pound the table and say, "this needs to be fixed now!" and not so easy to consider all the ramifications of either action.

So... I agree that 526 is needed. I also think that folks who owned their land before 526 was common knowledge should be compensated fully for whatever depreciation they suffer "for the common good".

No you didn't say it didn't need to be built, but you did play the victim card for those few whose view would be impacted. I've considered the ramifications and found those concerned that their marsh views might be ruined to be of a lesser concern than the community as a whole. If they need to buy land to run 526 then yes that land should be purchased at a fair market rate. I'm a little less supportive of paying people because their view is messed up. That's like having a water front condo then suing another developer because they purchased land and put up another unit blocking your view.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Guess I jinxed myself with all my complaining. Got caught in this current storm and Lockwood flooded in minutes. The entire metro is a mess. Looking at Google Maps and everything downtown and West Ashley is red, I-26 is orange, 526 is red, the infamous Main Rd and Maybank Hwy is a big line of red too. And its not even rush hour.

Sorry for complaining so much, I just find it fascinating how quickly its sunny and okay traffic to flooded gridlock. Sitting on Lockwood trying to get in the connector lane, while connector traffic trying to get on Lockwood...have mercy. Never wanna do that again. Everyone drive safe.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM

101 posts, read 83,027 times
I hear ya. Traffic lights out all over west Ashely and road flooded. Thank goodness my boss let me leave early. It took me an hour and a half to get home. Yuck. Yes be careful driving- it is a mess out there.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM

120 posts, read 116,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
For a city this size it sulhouldnt have the type of traffic oroblems it does. Llook at Columbia. It gets backed up rush hour in some parts but thenwhole city is not on lock down traffic like it is here sometimes and Columbia has a bigger metro. Why??. Because they have more roads more highways. We have more expensive roads which plays a part but when they try to plan new roads ect, nobody wants them but then turn around complaining about traffic is to bad.
. . . . and less water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area