U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,177 times

Advertisements

I understand that Wando is large with 3000+ kids. We're considering a private HS due to the size. I've heard it's a great school but I'm not sure if she'll be overwhelmed! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 AM

786 posts, read 1,048,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmearls View Post
We may be moving to Mount Pleasant from the North East this summer. We have 2 girls ages 13 and 11. Any recommendations as to whether I'On or Park West would be better for this age group? We'd really like a community where they can make fast friends, as a relocation is tough enough. Thanks!
My experience from when mrs soulsea and I (no kids) were looking is that both I'on and Park West are very kid friendly. I'on is obviously a lot more expensive for many reasons, so I think you can safely choose on the premise of what's more important to you in terms of house/lot size relative to location, knowing that the girls can make friends in either place. Without meaning to sound elitist, I suspect that if private school is where they are going to be, depending on the school location, they are probably more likely to have schoolmates in I'on than Park West. But that's just me inferring as much from the home prices rather than first hand experience, as we are still in waiting mode until we close on our I'on home ... so I may be wrong about that last statement and the public/private school attendance ratio is equal in both places.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll take whatever I can get. We're trying to make the transition as easy as possible for the girls. If there's any other advice out there, I'm all ears!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,911,270 times
I would guess that if you can afford it, you'd prefer I'on. More convenient to downtown and center of Mt P. If you can get the girls into the Academic Magnet High School I think you'd be happy with it. It's small and high quality. My daughter went there (12years ago) and I had no complaints.
I guess your daughters are in middle school/Jr High now? Have they always gone to public schools or are they used to something else (montessori, etc)? I think all of the Mt P schools are considered decent.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM

My girls have always gone to public school. They're in 8th and 6th grade. I think the size of Wando will be overwhelming for them since their current school is significantly smaller. Thanks for the tip on the Magnet High School. I'll look into it!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:16 PM

397 posts, read 948,889 times
hi - I live in Daniel Island, and my parents lived in Ion for quite a while, we all moved from NY/NJ plus I have many friends there - it's a GREAT community and they have made many friends there....however, there are probably a higher percentage of children in Park West for your age group and for proximity to the schools there......my parents are looking to sell their house this spring/summer in Park West - 4 bedroom, beautiful, IM me if you would like more information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area