Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,309,778 times

Advertisements

If you decide to make the move.. yes if possible I would try to live downtown. Grocery shopping might be your largest issue. But the scenery... College of Charleston has a enrollment of ~12,000. 62% are female. Not to mention the Medical University is also downtown. Young with a career, single, living downtown with a little bit of disposable income... yea that would just stink. You've got what most people your age want here.. a job that would allow you to stay.

I wouldn't put to much stock in someone's opinion that has never lived here.

It will take you a little bit to get used to the climate difference. It will be rough your first year coming from Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,037,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by den2charleston View Post
Hey! I'm currently a single guy in my mid-20s looking for a new city on the East Coast. I'm living in Denver now and I've become very interested in Charleston. I'm getting sick of the snow and cold in Denver, and because I don't ski or snowboard, I don't exactly fit in with the crowd, especially in the winter time. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Denver, it's just that I grew up in Pennsylvania and I'm not entirely enticed by the half-hipster/half-outdoorsy, free-range, organic, solar-powered Subaru culture of Denver. I do like the fact that Denver always has something going on, however, and that it can become hard to become bored here. I'm a very social person and it's never been hard to make friends in a new area.

That being said, I just visited Charleston this past weekend for a job interview. I got offered the job and I have a week to decide. I like the job and it's right downtown at the Flagship (at the corner of Calhoun and Alexander). Friday night, I went out with the team I'd be working with along King Street. That was fun. Saturday, I checked out the Farmer's Market and walked along King Street to the waterfront. Later in the day, I went to Folly Beach. My experience was really enjoyable and I've got to say the most astonishing thing I noticed so far was how beautiful the city was and how nice people are. The other thing that really made an impact (and not a good one) was how unbearably humid it was. On Friday, I was practically drenched walking a few blocks. Granted, a few people told me it was unseasonably humid that day.

My biggest questions/concerns with Charleston are these:

After living there for a few years, do you find it boring? In other words, did you find that it was getting too small for you after a while? I love the beach and really enjoy going out with friends to bars every weekend, and I feel Charleston offers that, but I couldn't help but notice that it's definitely small compared to a place like Denver.

Was it easy to meet people (consider that I want to meet people 20-30 years old)?

My potential coworkers strongly suggested I live downtown to really enjoy it. Do you agree?

And last, but not least, did you ever get used to that humidity?!?
For background, hubs and I are both 28 and we moved here for his job. He's a programmer at a company in North Charleston. So, we're pretty young but not really hip... really we're just nerds.

I've been to the Flagship a few times for techie meetups like Wordpress user groups, etc. It's a fun place. I think working downtown would be fun as well. Lots of fun places to eat lunch at work near there, very walkable... I've always thought it would be fun to work downtown, but I work from home, hehe.

You don't have to live downtown to get the experience of Charleston. If you can live downtown, it might be nice to bike to work and walk places, but you can enjoy Charleston living in West Ashley, Mt. Pleasant, James Island or North Charleston. Summerville is a little far out, and as a younger person, probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. It's mostly families (same as north Mt. Pleasant). John's Island is a little out in the country too.

I've only lived here a year and a half, but it hasn't gotten old yet. There are always new restaurants opening, new things to do like festivals, concerts, etc. Now, some stuff happens every year but is still fun- like the James Island Festival of Lights, Cooper River Bridge Run is every year, etc.

As far as the humidity goes... I have always lived in the South, so I don't have any advice for adapting. You may want to go ahead and move down though because in the summer, it only gets worse. Much, much, worse.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:55 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,928,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post

I wouldn't put to much stock in someone's opinion that has never lived here.
...or even been here...

Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 PM

326 posts, read 495,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
You are right it doesn't, very bland....granted people in their 70s may love Charleston. However I can't imagine anyone young and fun wanting to move to such a bland and boring place, nothing to hold my interest there, husband said it looked dreadful and after doing research I have to agree about Charleston being dreadful, not sure what people see in such a place. I'd much rather be doing one of the 1,000 of things myrtle beach has to offer. So much to do here I don't even need to leave my own city, i can vacation here...pretty cool, not too many people can say that. People talk about Charleston like it's really some thing but from what I seen doing research it really isn't much at all, very over hyped and pretty disappointing, overall a waste of space in this state, they could have made it some thing good but it's just a wanna be, it wants to be some thing good but just aint there yet.
you're kidding! this is an awesome place for young people. tons of bars, good nightlife, beaches, festivals and events year round.

actually back on topic to TS--if you're going to be making enough money, definitely pay too much rent to live downtown. you'll be really happy for it.

someone else suggested north of the crosstown...well that's great too. i live there because i have a kid and we want space.

but if you can find a place right downtown (meaning south of crosstown) that's away from student housing you'll be happier. the one thing about living north of the crosstown is that i drive more than i would like.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 36,899 times
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I've decided that Charleston is the place to be!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 PM

14,187 posts, read 14,539,139 times
Years back before I lived in SC but visited a lot, my friends would ask me about the SC coast.

I used to say if you are going with a bunch of guys and want to honky tonk, cheap food, great strip joints, unlimited golf, etc. then go to Myrtle Beach. If you want a quiet, romantic, stay in bed, relax place, a few things to do, then Beaufort on down to Hilton Head. You want an interesting place with great food, many things to see, many things to do, a class act, a place to make a living, etc. then Charleston.

I consider the three areas to be quite different.

Of course I also say if you want to give the SC coast an enema, then the place to stick the tube is in Georgetown.

What the hell do I know.........LOL

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,553,017 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the inputs. I've decided that Charleston is the place to be!
Well congratulations on the decision! You'll have to tell us which opinions you found to be true after you've been here a while. I think the only opinion that was universal in this thread is that the humidity is high...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,464 times
When ever you do move down here to charleston. If you want somebody to hang out with and explore the downtown area just let me know. I am kinda in the same boat i'm new here but i haven't really had the time to go downtown and do stuff. Just let me know if you would like to see the local girls around here.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 AM

107 posts, read 163,354 times
Quote:
Hey! I'm currently a single guy in my mid-20s looking for a new city on the East Coast. I'm living in Denver now and I've become very interested in Charleston. I'm getting sick of the snow and cold in Denver, and because I don't ski or snowboard, I don't exactly fit in with the crowd, especially in the winter time. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Denver, it's just that I grew up in Pennsylvania and I'm not entirely enticed by the half-hipster/half-outdoorsy, free-range, organic, solar-powered Subaru culture of Denver. I do like the fact that Denver always has something going on, however, and that it can become hard to become bored here. I'm a very social person and it's never been hard to make friends in a new area.

That being said, I just visited Charleston this past weekend for a job interview. I got offered the job and I have a week to decide. I like the job and it's right downtown at the Flagship (at the corner of Calhoun and Alexander). Friday night, I went out with the team I'd be working with along King Street. That was fun. Saturday, I checked out the Farmer's Market and walked along King Street to the waterfront. Later in the day, I went to Folly Beach. My experience was really enjoyable and I've got to say the most astonishing thing I noticed so far was how beautiful the city was and how nice people are. The other thing that really made an impact (and not a good one) was how unbearably humid it was. On Friday, I was practically drenched walking a few blocks. Granted, a few people told me it was unseasonably humid that day.

My biggest questions/concerns with Charleston are these:

After living there for a few years, do you find it boring? In other words, did you find that it was getting too small for you after a while? I love the beach and really enjoy going out with friends to bars every weekend, and I feel Charleston offers that, but I couldn't help but notice that it's definitely small compared to a place like Denver.

Was it easy to meet people (consider that I want to meet people 20-30 years old)?

My potential coworkers strongly suggested I live downtown to really enjoy it. Do you agree?

And last, but not least, did you ever get used to that humidity?!?

Yes, it does get boring, as there is nothing to do with Kids, other than Jump castle places ~ BOring!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,553,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
Yes, it does get boring, as there is nothing to do with Kids, other than Jump castle places ~ BOring!
This is true. The Jump Castles are great but once you wear out on them there's really nothing to do so you're stuck with going to the beach or museums, boat rides, plantations, parks, roller/ice rinks, the Aquarium, fishing/crabbing, Charles Town Landing, baseball games, hockey games, concerts, festivals, carriage/bike tours, water parks, ghost walks, theaters, greenways, the tea farm, Angel Oak.... oops, wait, there's the phone... if I had more time I'd list more things that amount to nothing to do with kids....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area