Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,491,659 times

Advertisements

As for people who have found Charleston boring...I feel you can say that with any place after awhile. It's all with how you deal with the area. Also, if you have family and friends nearby, that will help.

Personally, I get bored quick everywhere I move but I just love the beauty of Charleston. I also have my parents in Greenville and my MIL moved to Chas from Seattle to be near family. The only downside is the rest of my family is up North.

But as long as you remain active in the community, I think that's the key to being happy in the area. You can only go to so many attractions before they get old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 PM

14 posts, read 36,899 times
I read a few of the posts from people who said it was boring after some time. Living in Denver, I can tell you that even for a place with such a huge amount of things to do, it still got boring. For me, it had to do with not wanting to go to the mountains to ski and be in the outdoors 24/7. I still made a lot of friends, but that's all they did so there were a lot of times where I would hang out in Denver while they were gone for the weekend. It got old fast. I don't think it makes a difference where you live as long as you have a good circle of friends who all do the same things that you yourself enjoy too. For instance, my life is primarily dominated by trying new foods and restaurants (I absolutely love going out to eat), missing the beach, and going to bars with friends to hang out. Such is the life of someone in their mid-20s. Will I live in Charleston forever? Probably not. But for what I want right now in my life, it seems to have everything I want, assuming I find a good group of friends.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:44 PM

633 posts, read 1,004,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I'll be 67 next month and can verify that once you pass 40, you become increasingly boring and bland. No one over 60 has any fun whatsoever, and our only activities are shopping for medical supplies, going to the doctor, telling the same old stories about the good old days over and over again, and waiting for the Early Bird Special at the local buffet.

That's why us old people like Charleston. We don't need those 1,000 things to do, since miniature golf is bad for our backs, being around hundreds of guys who look like Larry the Cable Guy gives us hives, and eating mediocre seafood gives us gas.

:grin:
That was hysterical! I'm reading this forum because we are taking a trip to Charleston in Feb with another couple to look around and visit some friends who moved to Kiawah Island last year. They are in the 40s, waaaaayyy south of 60, and they love the Charleston area!

I LOATHED Myrtle Beach! I've been there 3 times, and after the last trip I will never return. UGH. Lots of other places to play golf, for Gosh sakes. I thought the restaurants in MB were pretty medicre as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,037,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
But as long as you remain active in the community, I think that's the key to being happy in the area. You can only go to so many attractions before they get old.
^ This. Being with other people and being involved is what keeps me from being bored and how I find out about what's going on. Yes, you can find local events and happenings in the City Paper or online, Facebook, forums like this one, etc. But when you meet people and have a community, you find out about the little things that keep you from being bored- happy hours, birthday get togethers, spur-of-the-moment trips to restaurants, events, volunteer opportunities, etc.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:43 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,895,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
I LOATHED Myrtle Beach! I've been there 3 times, and after the last trip I will never return. UGH. Lots of other places to play golf, for Gosh sakes. I thought the restaurants in MB were pretty medicre as well.
When I lived in NC and had visitors who wanted to go to the beach, I'd rent a condo at Garden City Beach. It's away from the hustle and bustle and Myrtle Beach is there if you want it. My late mom and sister came out the week there was a big biker convention in Myrtle Beach, and my mom wasn't not impressed.

Frankly, I've never eaten dinner in Myrtle Beach ... I'd take my visitors down to Murrel's Inlet for seafood. From what I've heard about Panama City FL from a native there, Myrtle Beach is sort of an Atlantic version of Panama City. Which is not my cup of tea, either.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:50 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,895,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
I lived for five years in Charlottesville, VA back in the 1970s and it was a beautiful town with a lot of things to do. But I found that every time someone would come to visit me, I'd take them to Monticello, Michie Tavern, Mr. Jefferson's Academic Village, Williamsburg, etc. and after the fifth or sixth time visiting one of these places, the novelty wore off.

Things to do stave off boredom, but they're no replacement for relationships ... that's what makes the things to do fun. At least, that's been my experience in life, and I've lived in seven very different communities over the years in the Midwest and the East Coast.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM

107 posts, read 163,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
This is true. The Jump Castles are great but once you wear out on them there's really nothing to do so you're stuck with going to the beach or museums, boat rides, plantations, parks, roller/ice rinks, the Aquarium, fishing/crabbing, Charles Town Landing, baseball games, hockey games, concerts, festivals, carriage/bike tours, water parks, ghost walks, theaters, greenways, the tea farm, Angel Oak.... oops, wait, there's the phone... if I had more time I'd list more things that amount to nothing to do with kids....

Nah ~ that's just boring for a 6 year old to do....Tea farm? Angel Oak? Charles Town Landing? Plantations? Museums? Ghost Walk? Greenways? BORiiiinnnnggggg ~ No child/children would find that fun ~ They need to build more things for kids, plain and simple ~

Old 12-28-2013, 04:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,037,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
Nah ~ that's just boring for a 6 year old to do....Tea farm? Angel Oak? Charles Town Landing? Plantations? Museums? Ghost Walk? Greenways? BORiiiinnnnggggg ~ No child/children would find that fun ~ They need to build more things for kids, plain and simple ~
Some kids might not like those places, but some kids do. I really liked history growing up and remember begging my parents to take me to Colonial Williamsburg (I had an obsession with the historical American Girl dolls). I loved it, had a great time. We went to Busch Gardens to ride rides one day on vacation and Colonial Williamsburg another, it was a nice balance . My dad is a history buff though and introduced me to it at an early age.

Most of the kids I know love going to Blackbeard's Cove to ride the go-karts and going to the bowling alley, things like that. We have tons of sports and recreational programs (almost every kid I know does at least one sport), and sometimes kids just like being kids- riding bikes, playing outside, video games, etc.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,289,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
Some kids might not like those places, but some kids do. I really liked history growing up and remember begging my parents to take me to Colonial Williamsburg (I had an obsession with the historical American Girl dolls). I loved it, had a great time. We went to Busch Gardens to ride rides one day on vacation and Colonial Williamsburg another, it was a nice balance . My dad is a history buff though and introduced me to it at an early age.
I second this. My dad wasn't a history buff but as a child, I enjoyed going to colonial parks, including Williamsburg. My two-year old also enjoyed Angel Oak when we went earlier this year. That big tree is just too cool!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,397,281 times
Hey man Im 35, but moved here at 18.

Few points:

- If you are a single man, Charleston is heaven. No words to describe the abundance of hot, single women here!

- If you're into sports/excercise, the rec leagues and natural spots here are great. Its a fairly fitness-oriented community, not like the stereotypical South.

- I've never gotten bored. Savannah is an hour South. Myrtle Beach an hour North. Charlotte 3 hours, Atlanta 5. If I ever need a chance, they are all within a days drive. Savannah and Myrtle- I make those trips in a single day. Hour up, hang out all day, hour back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area