Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

To the OP: you might not find it boring, but...

When her home town of Charleston, S.C., became a top tourist spot, everything changed - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 AM

83 posts, read 125,704 times
Charleston has always been a tourist spot.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Read through it and definitely believe she is an idiot. She should try living in a dying city to gain a little perspective. She also fails to realize that parking restrictions are put in place to assist/help those same locals that she once considered herself to be. Idiot.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 PM

103 posts, read 217,939 times
Quote:
Great read!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:22 PM

882 posts, read 1,462,723 times
Quote:
Mmm, every time someone starts waxing poetic about the past and how great it once was seemingly without the slightest grasp on how linear causality works, the eternal wisdom of Homer Simpson comes to mind:

“Everything’s perfect about the past except how it led to the present.â€

Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
Mmm, every time someone starts waxing poetic about the past and how great it once was seemingly without the slightest grasp on how linear causality works, the eternal wisdom of Homer Simpson comes to mind:

“Everything’s perfect about the past except how it led to the present.â€

Old 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
Nah ~ that's just boring for a 6 year old to do....Tea farm? Angel Oak? Charles Town Landing? Plantations? Museums? Ghost Walk? Greenways? BORiiiinnnnggggg ~ No child/children would find that fun ~ They need to build more things for kids, plain and simple ~
My kids are "old school" so they like outdoorsy stuff but I do have to say (fishing/crabbing/playing outdoors)....I took them to Angel Oak and they found it so painstakingly boring. I told them in 15 years, they'll look back and appreciate that I made them go. I do drag my kids to places they'd rather not go and it is hit/miss. They love the Charleston County Parks. The park system is pretty darn good. They have become bored with shopping places downtown and some of the typical touristy stuff but......

I think there are plenty of things that they can occupy themselves with. It really isn't my job to entertain them day to day. The weather is beautiful so they can go outside and play.....not just from tourist attraction to tourist attraction. There is plenty for kids to do....from organized sports to exploring the their neighborhood/Charleston area. The weather makes it so a child should never find themselves "bored",or not any more bored than any other town. Sometimes people need to just enjoy the simple things and not have so many manufactured forms of entertainment.

My kids have enjoyed summer day camps at the Charleston Rec Dept and take enrichment classes at the Charleston Animal Society. Once you are involved in the community, you can see more of what is out there to offer children who live here, rather than those that are just traveling through.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We all have different tastes. I'm thrilled with my choice to live in Charleston and happy other folks are thrilled with their choices.

I believe that if someone is truly happy, they don't have time nor energy to trash other lifestyle choices.

Of course we all have different tastes and choices. That's exactly why people are requesting information about the place. If you are truly happy you should not have to worry about what other people say (in your words trashing) about Charleston. If someone does not like Charleston then let them. They have the same right you have to share their disgrace.

I have entered this forum many times and see that there a couple people that in my perception work all day online to defend and justify anything anyone says bad about Charleston. Progress cannot happen if we do not recognize and fix the things that impede it. Oh wait, do most people embrace change in Charleston? Not in my opinion. That is the real question my friend.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,132 times
People always say "wow, this has really been a humid year". It's just a standard response....in actuality it's just F-ing humid most of the time.

Definitely a cap on the variety of things you can do here, most of it is centered around food and booze. If you get tired of that then culturally it's kind of slim pickings. But there is also the beach and the rivers and ocean. But certainly enough here to entertain you for a few years.

It's also a very social place, and easy to make friends. At times it seems like people are two degrees removed from one another.

There are a lot of people moving here, but there are also a lot of people moving away. Guess that's fairly normal for any place, but Charleston and it's ways aren't for everyone.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDweller View Post
People always say "wow, this has really been a humid year". It's just a standard response....in actuality it's just F-ing humid most of the time.

Definitely a cap on the variety of things you can do here, most of it is centered around food and booze. If you get tired of that then culturally it's kind of slim pickings. But there is also the beach and the rivers and ocean. But certainly enough here to entertain you for a few years.

It's also a very social place, and easy to make friends. At times it seems like people are two degrees removed from one another.

There are a lot of people moving here, but there are also a lot of people moving away. Guess that's fairly normal for any place, but Charleston and it's ways aren't for everyone.

Charleston's not perfect; the educational system leaves a lot to be desired, the summer heat can knock you over til (if) you get used to it and yes, it's humid here and the mosquitoes/gnats can drive you to curse at times. There are downsides to anywhere.

Culturally it may not be NY, LA, Boston, etc, but I think there aren't too many US cities this small and laid back yet with as much cultural mojo as Charleston has and while there may be a lot of people moving away, there's far more moving to the area. It's growing fast and I think that speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area