Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:14 AM

22 posts, read 62,172 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe he was trying to go right to avoid hitting you, did he have his right blinker on to turn right? Either way, like it says, if you're on far left lane turning left, stay in left lane; vice versa for right lane and turning right. I would think he'd be at fault, because you were in your lane, and he was not entirely in his lane. Keep us updated, I'd like to see how this pans out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:16 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,181,101 times
I've never seen the situation with a two lane left turn and there wasn't a proper arrow light. I'd say there was a screw up with the signals if both traveling and across road had green lights. IF the guy on taking the right had a green light, he should have stayed in his lane and he was at fault. With an arrow, you are supposed to have right of way. If it is a solid green, you must yield.

There is an intersection...... Hollywood/52 in Goose Creek that gives a green arrow light to take a left (one lane) but then you have to merge right into traffic that is already traveling on that road. Just because you have the green arrow doesn't give you the permission to change lanes into cars traveling onto that road already. There is a merging lane at that intersection. It is the worst designed intersection ever.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:34 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
I've never seen the situation with a two lane left turn and there wasn't a proper arrow light. I'd say there was a screw up with the signals if both traveling and across road had green lights. IF the guy on taking the right had a green light, he should have stayed in his lane and he was at fault. With an arrow, you are supposed to have right of way. If it is a solid green, you must yield.

There is an intersection...... Hollywood/52 in Goose Creek that gives a green arrow light to take a left (one lane) but then you have to merge right into traffic that is already traveling on that road. Just because you have the green arrow doesn't give you the permission to change lanes into cars traveling onto that road already. There is a merging lane at that intersection. It is the worst designed intersection ever.
This is a very common situation. When I leave my golf club there is traffic light. The opposing traffic is coming out of a shopping center. The road we are turning onto is a two lane each direction road. I am making a right hand turn. Many of those coming out of the shopping center make a quick left and could care less about me making a right when I believe I have the right of way. Few can make that left and hold themselves in the left lane.

I was taught cars going straight have the right of way That one is obvious. Cars making right hand turns are next. Cars making left turns are last.

I have seen two lane roads with small dashed lines when curving/bending into a two lane road at a traffic light. The lines are saying OK people stay in lane. I have never seen such at a 90* turn.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This is a very common situation. When I leave my golf club there is traffic light. The opposing traffic is coming out of a shopping center. The road we are turning onto is a two lane each direction road. I am making a right hand turn. Many of those coming out of the shopping center make a quick left and could care less about me making a right when I believe I have the right of way. Few can make that left and hold themselves in the left lane.

I was taught cars going straight have the right of way That one is obvious. Cars making right hand turns are next. Cars making left turns are last.

I have seen two lane roads with small dashed lines when curving/bending into a two lane road at a traffic light. The lines are saying OK people stay in lane. I have never seen such at a 90* turn.
Which is a common situation? Two lanes in each direction is different than a 2 lane left turn though. Is that what you mean? In Summerville there is a perfect example. There is an intersection coming out of the Kohls shopping area in which Cracker Barrel will be on the left and a gas station on your right. When you turn left....it is a two lane left hand turn that is clearly marked.

Arrows stop lights should always dictate right away. If you get a left or right arrow, you have the right of way. Solid green light is when you have to be more concerned with navigating the right of way.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
Which is a common situation? Two lanes in each direction is different than a 2 lane left turn though. Is that what you mean? In Summerville there is a perfect example. There is an intersection coming out of the Kohls shopping area in which Cracker Barrel will be on the left and a gas station on your right. When you turn left....it is a two lane left hand turn that is clearly marked.

Arrows stop lights should always dictate right away. If you get a left or right arrow, you have the right of way. Solid green light is when you have to be more concerned with navigating the right of way.
I do not see it so much has how many lanes but who has the right of way. Forget arrows, etc. Two cars approach an intersection. Both want to turn on to a double lane road and end up going the same direction. One car going right, the other car going left. Both have a green light. Which car has the right of way?

The OP wants us to say both can turn at the same time as long as the car turning right stays in the right lane and the car turning left (her) stays in the left lane. In her case the car turning right did not turn tight into the right lane but moved left. Thus they collided.

I say the car turning right had the right of way even if it strayed/moved to the left lane. I say the OP is at fault.

When friends from Boston come to visit I tell them one thing about driving here. I say do not pull left turns in front of on coming traffic especially when a light turns green. People here do not expect you to do so as they have the right of way. In Boston one prepares for such. Here they do not. They will hit you and you will wonder why they were not paying attention to your MAholedriver move left turn in front of them......LOL

Last edited by johngolf; 12-11-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I do not see it so much has how many lanes but who has the right of way. Forget arrows, etc. Two cars approach an intersection. Both want to turn on to a double lane road and end up going the same direction. One car going right, the other car going left. Both have a green light. Which car has the right of way?

The OP wants us to say both can turn at the same time as long as the car turning right stays in the right lane and the car turning left (her) stays in the left lane. In her case the car turning right did not turn tight into the right lane but moved left. Thus they collided.

I say the car turning right had the right of way even if it strayed/moved to the left lane. I say the OP is at fault.

When friends from Boston come to visit I tell them one thing about driving here. I say do not pull left turns in front of on coming traffic especially when a light turns green. People here do not expect you to do so as they have the right of way. In Boston one prepares for such. Here they do not. They will hit you and you will wonder why they were not paying attention to your MAholedriver move left turn in front of them......LOL
You should always be a defensive driver. I have a new driver so I'm pretty much up on the right-of-way rules/laws. Turning left onto oncoming traffic is definitely a no-no but that should never occur if you have a left arrow green light.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 AM

72 posts, read 256,654 times
I was hoping to get a more definitive answer here. There are lots of opinions spread across the board. Is anyone here a police officer or a lawyer who could give an authoritative response?

Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Well it seems that a lot of the opinions rest on whether both lights were green at the same time. Do you know that?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 AM

72 posts, read 256,654 times
There were no lights at the intersection.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter'sDad View Post
There were no lights at the intersection.
My mistake, though it would have helped if you had cleared this point up after the third post. I would think he had the right of way since he was making a right turn when you were making a left but I can understand your confusion and I'm not sure how a court would look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area