Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 PM

3,856 posts, read 4,567,883 times

Advertisements

Its interesting, I've never been to any of the stores mentioned. (except maybe Macy's) I guess I'm not the shopper type.
I think there's no doubt that as Cape said, it's good for business. I do think it will draw outside traffic, more big name stores, and generally more attention to lil ol Charleston/N. Charleston. It will be good for tax revenues and will be an "added amenity" for the community at large. But if I owned Haddrells or Time Out or any other local store that BPS will compete with, I'd feel like the state was giving me the shaft by giving the competition tax breaks that I was basically paying for.
I recognize that its easily arguable that it's for the greater good and is how business is normally done, but it's gotta hurt and I feel for them. That said once it's built, I'll probably check BPS out one day when I'm already up that way. Progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:08 AM

9,959 posts, read 7,644,624 times
This is a neat look inside a Cabelas. You can navigate within the store. Hopefully the BPS will be similar.

Google Maps Street View

Old 12-24-2013, 06:55 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,628,341 times
Ive been going to "Johns Rod and Reel" (Now Harrell's tackle shop) for over 40 years. I dont plan to stop just because we have a new BPS. Sure I might go there and look as some hunting supply's,,,but not the fishing tackle.

You cant beat the local knowledge that Haddrells can offer you...........

Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,871,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
Ive been going to "Johns Rod and Reel" (Now Harrell's tackle shop) for over 40 years. I dont plan to stop just because we have a new BPS. Sure I might go there and look as some hunting supply's,,,but not the fishing tackle.

And there you have it.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:17 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,174,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post

Haddrell's is awesome. I think you are the one that steered us toward the store when we first moved here a couple years ago. I wish parking was better and that is was closer to our home. We tend to shop Walmart for tackle because of its convenience.

Last edited by Sprouts; 12-24-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,402,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Its interesting, I've never been to any of the stores mentioned. (except maybe Macy's) I guess I'm not the shopper type.
I think there's no doubt that as Cape said, it's good for business. I do think it will draw outside traffic, more big name stores, and generally more attention to lil ol Charleston/N. Charleston. It will be good for tax revenues and will be an "added amenity" for the community at large. But if I owned Haddrells or Time Out or any other local store that BPS will compete with, I'd feel like the state was giving me the shaft by giving the competition tax breaks that I was basically paying for.
I recognize that its easily arguable that it's for the greater good and is how business is normally done, but it's gotta hurt and I feel for them. That said once it's built, I'll probably check BPS out one day when I'm already up that way. Progress.
That's how Republican led government in SC works. They preach about freedom and government staying out of the way. But, they'll use that same government they hate......to screw the little buy by making it a clear advantage for the big guy.

Im sure there are plenty of small businesses in Summerville, N Charleston, Berkeley area that sell fishing and hunting stuff that Bass Pro is going to hurt. And the conservative government encouraged it.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,298,448 times
I can almost hear my equity rising with this deal...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,567,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
That's how Republican led government in SC works. They preach about freedom and government staying out of the way. But, they'll use that same government they hate......to screw the little buy by making it a clear advantage for the big guy.

Im sure there are plenty of small businesses in Summerville, N Charleston, Berkeley area that sell fishing and hunting stuff that Bass Pro is going to hurt. And the conservative government encouraged it.
Oh I don't think it's a party-specific tactic. It's generally part of the job description of any Governor or Mayor to grow or at least maintain the economic health of the community they're in charge of. That can be done with more or less balance towards quality as opposed to quantity and everyone's measure of that will be different. Somebody's toes always get stepped on. By sheer $ numbers (the most common measure in this country) the BPS store and others sure to follow seem like a good business move. I'm not sure if that's true long term.
Think about how everyone bemoaned the chain stores taking over lower King st and how Upper King has become the hot ticket; the center of "hip". I'm not an economist and can't pretend to know where the perfect balance between big and hip is but I do wonder if the tax incentives were really necessary especially given that they hurt the local guys who have been mainstays here for so long.

So enough political debate.... I also think its important to note that its Haddrells, not Harrells, not Haddricks.

PS: Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,174,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Oh I don't think it's a party-specific tactic. It's generally part of the job description of any Governor or Mayor to grow or at least maintain the economic health of the community they're in charge of. That can be done with more or less balance towards quality as opposed to quantity and everyone's measure of that will be different. Somebody's toes always get stepped on. By sheer $ numbers (the most common measure in this country) the BPS store and others sure to follow seem like a good business move. I'm not sure if that's true long term.
Think about how everyone bemoaned the chain stores taking over lower King st and how Upper King has become the hot ticket; the center of "hip". I'm not an economist and can't pretend to know where the perfect balance between big and hip is but I do wonder if the tax incentives were really necessary especially given that they hurt the local guys who have been mainstays here for so long.

So enough political debate.... I also think its important to note that its Haddrells, not Harrells, not Haddricks.

PS: Merry Christmas to all!

I spell it wrong ALL the time. I really want to call it haddocks but that would be too obvious. And I fixed it before you even said anything. I'm only pointing this out because I was the haddricks offender and people might wonder what the heck you are talking about.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,628,341 times
Sprouts,,,I was talking about the store in West Ashley,,,not MtP. The west ashley store has plenty of parking. Its behind earth fare on Folly rd. Like

I saw an advertisment today in "City Paper" about "the charleston angler" wanting the public to vote them "Charleston's Best Tackle Shop".

Its hard to be the best when you dont open up until 8:00AM..............Im on the water at 6:00-7:00 AM when I go fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area