U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:55 AM

19 posts, read 32,259 times

Advertisements

Hello There! We live in clover, which is a small little town under Charlotte, nc. We are moving near/in Charleston next summer. I have an elementary child that is in special needs program in public school. Doing SO good in a great school. I have 2 other children, another in elementary and one that will be starting middle school there. My husband will be working in Moncks Corner, Summerville, Charlotte, etc. My main goal is to find excellent schools for my kids. I do not know the area at all. We are middle class. Someone can please let me know where to look and where to stay away from? I would greatly appreciate it. My childrens well being is extremely important to me. We don not mind little towns up to 1/2 to 45 minutes away either....
Thanks so much!!

Last edited by cinderaj; 12-22-2013 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: need to put in question form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 AM

3,132 posts, read 3,118,845 times
We have a friend with a functioning autistic child that lives in Charleston National and attends Wando high school. They've had to make a few parent teacher meetings but over all have been happy with where they were. Much better than where they came from.

It's all the information I have... just didn't want your question to look ignored.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Thank you IsNull! I appreciate it. That was really kind of you., Granted we still have about 6months or more to go, but I was hoping for more feedback from parents with other mild special needs children. Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM

3,518 posts, read 4,391,110 times
When it comes to school districts, Dorchester II and Mount Pleasant. Not sure about the special needs, but those two districts are pretty much what you will find after searching hundreds of threads here.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,788,896 times
How mild? My child is in the special ed program but only receives resource class once a day. He has dyslexia/anxiety/adhd and has an IEP.

I like Clover and lived up in that area pre-Charleston area.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Hi Sprouts!!
She has "intellectual disability". She learns but slow. Smaller classroom with others that aren't severe, but not as a normal classroom of 18-20 kids. She has an IEP as well. She still has speech therapy twice a week where she gets pulled out with others. She still goes to art, p.e., etc, it's just in her learning she needs more one on one.....Thanks!!!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 17,449 times
We will be moving there next month. I checked out the Dorchester 2 schools and Mount Pleasant. Mount Pleasant
is where we will be moving to. My son is on an IEP and will be in Middle School. I found the programs in Mt. Pleasant
better for the type of support I am looking for. I hope that helps. Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:18 PM

70 posts, read 108,837 times
My son has dyslexia and he attended schools in both Dorchester II and Mt. Pleasant. Your options are great in Mt. Pleasant. First the Mt. Pleasant schools are outstanding. Also, you will also have access to tutoring from companies like Life Management. They offer tutoring to kids with academic and learning issues. Their offices are currently located very near Wando HS. Also, Trident Academy is located in Mt. Pleasant. It is a private school for children with learning disabilities and is nationally recognized. While you may not be able to afford the tuition, you may be able to take advantage of summer camps, tutoring and the like.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 11,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderaj View Post
Hello There! We live in clover, which is a small little town under Charlotte, nc. We are moving near/in Charleston next summer. I have an elementary child that is in special needs program in public school. Doing SO good in a great school. I have 2 other children, another in elementary and one that will be starting middle school there. My husband will be working in Moncks Corner, Summerville, Charlotte, etc. My main goal is to find excellent schools for my kids. I do not know the area at all. We are middle class. Someone can please let me know where to look and where to stay away from? I would greatly appreciate it. My childrens well being is extremely important to me. We don not mind little towns up to 1/2 to 45 minutes away either....
Thanks so much!!
What's the name of the school your kids go to I have a special needs child and I'm planning on moving to Charlotte nc and need information

Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,642,086 times
My sons are in Hanahan's school district and my youngest has been getting special treatment so far this year. He has had a really hard time in school and they are giving him full attention to try and figure out if he's ADD or what. I have been in meetings with counselors, his teachers, the principal and a psychologist all at the same time. Although it was a little intimidating, I was very appreciative that they were taking the time to make sure my son got the attention and treatment he deserved. If it wasn't for their diligence we wouldn't have found out my son needed glasses and that he was having a real hard time focusing because of this issue. They have gone so far as to assign an extra teacher to work with him for an hour each day to help resolve his behavior issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or