Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 AM

342 posts, read 798,611 times

Advertisements

First off all ideas and opinions are welcome.
My family (wife and I mid 30's, 2 boys 7/4) is sick of the winter in the northeast. We were in Charleston, north Charleston, west Ashley and goosecreek for a while last year and it confirmed our thoughts that the lifestyle fits our family perfect. We are very active outdoor people, however, we do not ski nor do we enjoy the outside cold weather life. Golf is a big part of our life and there are a plethora of year round courses in the areas we looked. I would like to know your opinions on starting points to look for housing within a 15 mile radius of Charleston. (community names, realtors, areas to avoid, etc)
We would prefer a new community with activities (preferably a golf course). We want our children to be able to play in the street with the neighborhood kids. Here in PA where we live everything is so far away that it makes it impossible for kids to play unless they are within a few houses of each other. Our budget is between 200000 and 275000. Would like to downsize to a nice house around 1800-2200. Have done a lot of work on my current home so move in ready is desirable. We would also like to be near(5 min or so) some type of waterway (canal, pond, lake etc).
Thank you in advance for any advice you may have and I look forward to conversing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,921 times
For your budget Wescott Plantation in Summerville comes to mind. Golf club and other activities, good schools, family oriented neighborhood. It's maybe a little far from downtown Chas...say 30 min if not in rush hr traffic. Do you expect to be working downtown? It's also not that close to actual beaches (45min to Folly) but is not far from the Ashley River and very close to Ft Dorchester St Park (10min) and a boat landing.

Houses generally are not brand new in Wescott but maybe ~10yrs old. That's the first off the top thought and I'm guessing schools are an important consideration though you didn't mention them. Dorchester 2 schools are decent.

As for Realtors, (cough, cough) well, you might even find one on these boards...

Where are you in PA? I grew up in Springfield (Philly suburb).

Old 01-01-2014, 11:47 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Shadowmoss Plantation

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Wescott area.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,288,402 times
Agree with Shawdowmoss Plantation or Grand Oaks Plantation..both in West Ashley.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
For your budget Wescott Plantation in Summerville comes to mind. Golf club and other activities, good schools, family oriented neighborhood. It's maybe a little far from downtown Chas...say 30 min if not in rush hr traffic. Do you expect to be working downtown? It's also not that close to actual beaches (45min to Folly) but is not far from the Ashley River and very close to Ft Dorchester St Park (10min) and a boat landing.

Houses generally are not brand new in Wescott but maybe ~10yrs old. That's the first off the top thought and I'm guessing schools are an important consideration though you didn't mention them. Dorchester 2 schools are decent.

As for Realtors, (cough, cough) well, you might even find one on these boards...

Thank you for the info. Yes schools are important and I honestly can't believe I forgot to mention them . The other area is near Conway as a position at coastal Carolina has recently opened. But I know nothing about that area at all

Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post

Northeast pa. About 30 min south of Stroudsburg, near brodheadsville

Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
Agree with Shawdowmoss Plantation or Grand Oaks Plantation..both in West Ashley.
I thought of both of those communities but Grand Oaks doesnt' have a golf course and Shadowmoss is considerably older. Also, both of them aren't in as highly regarded a school district as Dorchester 2 though the schools might not mean much to the OP if he's homeschooling or counting on private for instance.

There are options on James Island but the community golf course is in a community beyond the suggested budget. Same for Mt Pleasant. There is a municipal course on James Island that I think is ok. I'm not a golfer and can't speak for it personally.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Thank you for the info. Yes schools are important and I honestly can't believe I forgot to mention them . The other area is near Conway as a position at coastal Carolina has recently opened. But I know nothing about that area at all
Crossing posts....
I can't tell you much about Conway except that it's considerably more rural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padad1 View Post
Northeast pa. About 30 min south of Stroudsburg, near brodheadsville
I used to love taking my canoe up to the Poconos, Delaware Water Gap, Lake Wallenpaupack.... It's been many a year though.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Carolina Park for brand new, Pembroke (Park West) both in Mt. Pleasant. Best schools, 4+ golf courses within a 10 min drive (3 within 5 mins), 15 mins from your home to walking on the beach. Halloween looked like a street party with so many kids in the streets - you're in the minority if your house doesn't have kids.

The biggest reason we moved to this area... proximity to beach, schools, and our kids can just go out and ride bikes/play with the neighbors... All the schools from 1-12 are in or beside the neighborhood and Mt. P has an indoor pool, baseball, football, tennis, and other rec centers within the neighborhood.

Lots of transplants here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area