Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, the Chuck City Paper. Your go to resource for where to drink cheap & eat cheap. They feel they also have to employ writers...for what reason, I have no clue. Naturally, they lean hard left, have filthy mouths & even worse writing styles.

The word "progressive", like the Confederate Battle Flag & the word "gay", is a word (or thing) that's been hijacked to represent a horrible agenda, instead of a desire to move forward. I will also state that many people moving here from up north also happen to be Conservative; which is one reason they choose to retire in SC.

Progressives (or as I call them "regressives"..much more fitting) simply aren't: They regurgitate failed ideas of the past, but in new packaging. Thinking people should avoid them at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM

259 posts, read 454,227 times
Gee, as a gay progressive forumer its really nice of you to call me a "thing". Is that an example of nice conservative values?

I am simply part of this topics dialogue, no agenda pushing.

Afraid of catching the dreaded homosex disease from reading my post?

Anyway,

The open seat race for charlestons next mayor will be a great scrum
to watch.

Anyone else think its silly to have "nonpartisan" races. Most folks, vote R or D leaning anyway.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:55 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
The "thing" was referencing the flag. I was very, very clear about that.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Preserving Charleston and smart growth are what makes it the wonderful place that it is. Sure, we could build and copy other cities, but then we would be just another city. The preservation is what makes it unique - thus the number 1 tourist destination. I understand that it isn't for everyone and don't fault people for leaving if it's not a good fit. That doesn't mean that the people trying to preserve it are wrong or less enlightened.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Preserving Charleston and smart growth are what makes it the wonderful place that it is. Sure, we could build and copy other cities, but then we would be just another city. The preservation is what makes it unique - thus the number 1 tourist destination. I understand that it isn't for everyone and don't fault people for leaving if it's not a good fit. That doesn't mean that the people trying to preserve it are wrong or less enlightened.
Thanks for the intelligent post. I don't agree that Charleston is the number 1 tourist destination, I think that is surely slanted. That is the main reason I would leave Charleston because people want to preserve it, I just believe that stops growth, economy, jobs, quality of life, and more things to do in a city.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Thanks for the intelligent post. I don't agree that Charleston is the number 1 tourist destination, I think that is surely slanted. That is the main reason I would leave Charleston because people want to preserve it, I just believe that stops growth, economy, jobs, quality of life, and more things to do in a city.
I genuinely believe Charleston is not the place for you then. I say this because you have, several times on other threads, expressed your displeasure with Charleston. Charleston was the first city to institute a historical preservation society, which served as the model for our National Preservation Society. Preservation of Charleston is as much a part of our identity as live oaks and the rivers. For me, it's one of the things that I love about our fair city and I think many others feel the same way. If I was interested in a very progressive city, I simply would never choose Charleston. Every city has a general identity and for Charleston, preservation is a huge component of our identity. I don't think it's a matter of having a 'small town brain' but just a part of who we are as a city.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
That's okay if you don't agree. If it's not number 1, it's cetainly a big one. If preservation etc. is not something you like and you would prefer bigger city things, then it may not be the place for you. To each his own, it doesn't mean that the people that it fits are wrong. Some people prefer mountains and some prefer ocean - both are okay.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I genuinely believe Charleston is not the place for you then. I say this because you have, several times on other threads, expressed your displeasure with Charleston. Charleston was the first city to institute a historical preservation society, which served as the model for our National Preservation Society. Preservation of Charleston is as much a part of our identity as live oaks and the rivers. For me, it's one of the things that I love about our fair city and I think many others feel the same way. If I was interested in a very progressive city, I simply would never choose Charleston. Every city has a general identity and for Charleston, preservation is a huge component of our identity. I don't think it's a matter of having a 'small town brain' but just a part of who we are as a city.
I agree with everything you said. There is also plenty of room for sprawl....which would preserve downtown while encouraging growth. There is absolutely no reason to destroy the history. Preservation is not holding the city/area back. I'm extremely socially liberal but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate protecting the essence of downtown. Growth can be achieved without being destructive.

When has someone's breath been taken away by a parking garages or office buildings....almost never. Office buildings never brought someone to Savannah, New Orleans, and other areas around the world that bring visitors due to their history. When people travel to distance countries as tourists, they are not doing so to visit shopping malls and recent growth. They are trying to feel the history of days past and get away from everyday growth.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:10 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
That is the main reason I would leave Charleston because people want to preserve it

Old 01-16-2014, 07:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

Progressives (or as I call them "regressives"..much more fitting) simply aren't: They regurgitate failed ideas of the past, but in new packaging. Thinking people should avoid them at all costs.
Ugh. Talk about regurgitating old, tired ideas. It was much more civil around here when it said "Not a member" under your name. Isn't there a bridge you should be hiding under somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area