Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:43 PM

31,868 posts, read 34,362,591 times

Advertisements

During the holidays, one of my aunts made the comment that shrimp and grits didn't really start appearing in Charleston restaurants until the 1980s or so. She said that the dish was largely confined to the black community, and then once it became popular outside of the South, restaurants in the Low Country of SC and GA (as well as restaurants in other southern cities) began to offer it. In terms of research, the most info I could find on the dish comes from the book "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas:

Quote:
This early version of shrimp and grits can be traced back to the descendants of plantation slaves who, for generations, lived in isolation on South Carolina's sea islands.
Does anybody know anything else about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,928,490 times
From what little "I know"...

Shrimp and grits used to be simply grits with shrimp...nothing much more than that. Maybe some bacon grease (and bits of bacon) if the shrimp had been cooked in it.

The more "modern day" rendition of shrimp & grits (more fancified recipes, etc.) started in North Carolina. A chef at Crook's Corner restaurant in Chapel Hill is credited with making S&G a more sought-after dish.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,895,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
The more "modern day" rendition of shrimp & grits (more fancified recipes, etc.) started in North Carolina. A chef at Crook's Corner restaurant in Chapel Hill is credited with making S&G a more sought-after dish.
That was the late Bill Neal ... I was a regular at Crook's Corner back in the 1980s, which at the time was a place where foodies, students, artsy types, and rednecks rubbed elbows. A buddy and I would often head there late night for a plate of barbecue and a bowl of greens. Best hush puppies I've ever had, and the shrimp and grits were indeed outstanding.

Crook's Corner Restaurant

Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,553,017 times
My ex-wife is from Baton Rouge and knew how to make shrimp and grits (with a killer roux) long before the 80's. I don't remember if she called it shrimp and grits or grits with shrimp back then...

Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
My ex-wife is from Baton Rouge and knew how to make shrimp and grits (with a killer roux) long before the 80's. I don't remember if she called it shrimp and grits or grits with shrimp back then...
Yeah, I grew up with shrimp and grits too - well before the 80s. We always had ours with a dark roux based sauce as well. Although, technically, it was our cook that made it and not my mother but that was back when everyone had a housekeeper/cook. I wonder if it's a bit like fried chicken - no real ability to pinpoint its start but just one of our Southern staples that is so darn yummy.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,895,029 times
Bill Neal didn't invent shrimp and grits but he was one of the southern chefs recognized as world class back in the 1980s which resulted in the popularization of dishes like shrimp and grits among foodies outside the south (Edna Lewis was another). As I recall, Craig Claiborne wrote an article about up and coming southern chefs in the NYT that made southern cuisine "trendy".

Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 AM

14,187 posts, read 14,539,139 times
My understanding is that is was a poor fisherman/coastal farmers meal. Basically it was shrimp caught that day, Grits left over from breakfast, and a little bit of whatever was picked from the garden that day. This from a 70 year old whose grandmother was one of them fisherman's wife. She grew up eating her grandmothers shrimp and grits. She always said the Shrimp and Grits at Justines made her think about her Grannys shrimp and grits.

I can tell you one thing. Order it in 10 different restaurants and it will be served 12 different ways.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Here's something else I found.

Quote:
The tastes of the south–of BBQ and pork and Shrimp and Grits–were the foods of the slaves and indentured servants, made from the scraps of the harvest and the gleanings from the sea.
Lowcountry Shrimp and Grits | Henry's Eclectic

Quote:
Years ago the only people who ate Shrimp and Grits were poor people and slaves, and only for breakfast.
Beverly's Back Porch: Shrimp and Grits

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,171,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yeah, I grew up with shrimp and grits too - well before the 80s. We always had ours with a dark roux based sauce as well. Although, technically, it was our cook that made it and not my mother but that was back when everyone had a housekeeper/cook. I wonder if it's a bit like fried chicken - no real ability to pinpoint its start but just one of our Southern staples that is so darn yummy.
I think that is a very "southern" thing....cooks/housekeepers back in the day. My heritage is New England and I don't think hired help was common place. It was a world I was not familiar with until I talked to southern locals. I found it very interesting.....the regional differences.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
When were the days when everyone had a housekeeper or a cook? Even in South Carolina....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area