U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM

29 posts, read 17,783 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been browsing this form for about a year and I've learned so much. My wife and I are planning on moving to S.C. in about a year. I was pretty sure that Mt Pleasant was where we wanted to be, but after visiting a cpl of weeks ago I really fell in love with the downtown area. I currently live in NYC and not exactly sure I am ready for the suburbs yet (although Mt Pleasant was nice & loved James Isalnd). Areas such as Mt.PLeasant, Summerville, John & James Islands get discussed alot on this forum but downtown is rarely talked about. I'm looking for a 3 bedroom house for under $500,000 downtown (I know I cant live in the Battery area). It will be myself, wife and 2 y/o daughter and will hopefully be working at MUSC. Looking for a place that we can walk/ride a bike to shops/restaurants/etc. Anyone live downtown, or know people that do? Any suggestions or opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 11:00 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,090,444 times
All about Downtown Charleston’s Neighborhoods – a map, descriptions and more. |

Everything you need to know . I live and own a property downtown. For your 500k budget, in my opinion the best area for safety, walking, and not too bad for flooding is south of Calhoun, north of Broad between Rutledge and Meeting St (west to east). You can find plenty of homes in that budget. Good luck

Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM

326 posts, read 351,888 times
less than 500K you're probably going to be looking north of the crosstown if you want 3 beds.

wagener terrace has things to walk to, including wonderful hampton park, moe's crosstown, rutledge cab, plus a new restaurant and a cafe coming in near the park soon.

on the peninsula memminger elementary and james simons both offer early education FOR FREE. and wagener terrace is looking really family oriented lately. parks are just full of kids, families seem to be walking everywhere.

start googling houses "wagener terrace" + "real estate" and see what you find. there isn't a lot on the market now, but things will heat up by spring.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,459,816 times
I have some friends who live in Wagener Terrace. It's a pretty nice neighborhood. Hampton Park is great (I run there every Sunday morning), Moe's Crosstown is one of my favorite restaurants, and I always feel pretty safe around there. You're also pretty close to the tourist-y areas of downtown but not far from West Ashley, Mt P, or North Charleston either.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,128,044 times
Wagener Terrace is what I thought of too. Working at MUSC it would seem like the perfect spot and there are some really charming older homes there. Longborough in Wagener Terrace is nice too if you want newer homes but I'm not sure you'll find under $500k there easily.

The usual warnings about flood insurance apply of course...

Old 02-02-2014, 11:36 AM

oh and consider north central, which is often used synonymously with wagener terrace. and sometimes "hampton park" is used to refer broadly to the neighborhoods in the vicinity. IMO all of these are fine places to live. we have a 3 y.o. and have never been concerned about safety in either north central or wagener terrace.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 AM

2,514 posts, read 6,710,592 times
Plenty of neighborhoods to choose from. Hampton Park Terrace, Wagener Terrace, North Central , and areas around Colonial Lake south of the crosstown. I lived in Wagener Terrace for 8+ years and loved it. Generally better parking than downtown, larger lots, and not much college or tourist traffic at all.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM

9,168 posts, read 11,724,580 times
I have a question that I don't want anyone to take the wrong way. When I look at addresses throughout Wagener Terrace on Google Maps Street View within the boundaries that I have seen cited as great places to live (and North Central), the homes look nice and the streets look clean. But when I click, click, click, click >>>>>>>> all throughout the neighborhoods, including down the main thoroughfares south toward the historic district, I rarely see pedestrians that are pale-faced like me. Is that because the white residents living in the area almost all drive while black residents mostly walk? I also mainly see black residents sitting on front porches and in backyards when clicking around. I'm asking this only from the viewpoint of a middle-aged white guy who wouldn't want to feel like an outsider if I lived in that area.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I have a question that I don't want anyone to take the wrong way. When I look at addresses throughout Wagener Terrace on Google Maps Street View within the boundaries that I have seen cited as great places to live (and North Central), the homes look nice and the streets look clean. But when I click, click, click, click >>>>>>>> all throughout the neighborhoods, including down the main thoroughfares south toward the historic district, I rarely see pedestrians that are pale-faced like me. Is that because the white residents living in the area almost all drive while black residents mostly walk? I also mainly see black residents sitting on front porches and in backyards when clicking around. I'm asking this only from the viewpoint of a middle-aged white guy who wouldn't want to feel like an outsider if I lived in that area.
okay, so sure, a lot of the local african american population is carless and they're frequent pedestrians and bicyclists in the neighborhoods north of crosstown. i've lived in north central and wagener terrace and i walk whenever i can.

and i see all sorts of people out walking dogs, young women jogging, and so on. you'd have to be pretty uptight and self-conscious to feel out of place in this neighborhood. people are just nice.

but it's a city, and not everyone should live in a city. that's why they made suburbs.

if you're curious, drive at noon, park, walk around. do the same thing just around sunset. repeat on a saturday. there are different rhythms thorughout the day and week. i've enjoyed all my time here.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM

9,168 posts, read 11,724,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWILLY View Post
okay, so sure, a lot of the local african american population is carless and they're frequent pedestrians and bicyclists in the neighborhoods north of crosstown. i've lived in north central and wagener terrace and i walk whenever i can.

and i see all sorts of people out walking dogs, young women jogging, and so on. you'd have to be pretty uptight and self-conscious to feel out of place in this neighborhood. people are just nice.

but it's a city, and not everyone should live in a city. that's why they made suburbs.

if you're curious, drive at noon, park, walk around. do the same thing just around sunset. repeat on a saturday. there are different rhythms thorughout the day and week. i've enjoyed all my time here.
I do live in a city and I live in a mixed neighborhood. I was just asking because I have street-viewed the area quite a bit to get a feel for who's typically out and about and it doesn't look very mixed. I do have it on my agenda to drive down and check out the streets in person. Another thing is I wondered whether it has changed much since the Google van last came through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area