Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Ridiculous until you, your wife, your child, or your mother gets a 60# chunk of ice through their windshield.

Having a plan to de-ice the bridge is easy to say...but to my knowledge there are no steadfast plans for de-icing ANY cable-stayed bridge anywhere in the US & Canada. Even in the good 'ol Yankee states.

There have been in the past (and current) several studies into what can be done to prevent, as well as to deal with, ice on the stays. So far no one has the answer.

Don't blame it on Charleston...and please don't go so far as to say no one else has this problem. EVERYONE has this problem from what I've read...and there are no solutions to this point.

What all you folks not familiar with Southern winter storms need to be aware of is the ice factor. Ice paralyzes even the glorified Northern states. If all we got was some snow, we'd look like a bunch of heroes too! LoL
I agree and I am a Yankee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:22 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree and I am a Yankee.
It's ok...I won't hold it against you.

LoL!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single live downed wire in that area. You have a great point, but you'll be waiting a while to get out after winter storms or hurricanes without a little common sense.
We had a HUGE ice storm in Maine...January 1998. Some people were out of power for up to 3 weeks (my parents, for instance). If you google it, you can see how severe it was. Of course it stays below freezing during that time of year so it is even more dangerous (don't forget about the snow that was already on the ground). I'm all for helping yourself but when that person said lines down....I thought it might be better to have someone check out the area first or just at least bring up the possible danger. In the neighborhood I currently live in...I'd be out in a heart beat because it appears the power lines are below ground. Flooding in a basement and lines down cause me to pause....I'm fearful of electrocution....no matter where I live. I pound into my kids' heads about electrocution and carbon monoxide poisoning.

I'm a former New Englander so I'm pretty up on pulling together after winter storms but I just wanted to bring up the power lines because that is a real danger.

How wonderful is it that we have a way to communicate with the outside world after a storm. We'd be much more isolated not too long ago. Now we need to keep hurricanes away because I have very little experience with hurricanes....eeek.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm not a Tea Partier, but I am a libertarian and I think it's "restricted government influence/support" not necessarily "no government influence/support". Natural disasters and national defense of our borders from outside threats I believe are some of those things that fall in that okay category. Not to mention, the insanely idiotic rules about receiving federal funding for transportation infrastructure pretty much make it an easier pill to swallow to pick from other buckets.
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to rorytmeadows again.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:20 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Nikki Haley's self proclaimed association with the Tea Part is a matter of political convenience more than a true acceptance of the party's view on government's role in our lives.

If lack of government is seen as a failure and to much government is seen as a failure... why pay lots of money for the same failure as lack of expenditure? Is it possible to find a middle ground? Is it even possible to discuss a middle ground without grouping each other into ideological boxes so we can put labels on em and attack the box instead of actually trying to find a workable compromise?
If only....

Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times
Hope everyone has their power back. I lucked out and got the biggest snowfall on LI - 14.6" .... UGH!!!! and more on the way tomorrow. People are getting VERY testy around here. 34 days till Spring for us, you'll be warmer way before us, be thankful for that!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Gorgeous day today.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
The city needs to rethink how to handle the Ravenel bridge. I totally get why it's closed but it really causes havoc to those who commute on it everyday.

I mean, how do the bridges up north handle ice? They don't shut down. It's just ridiculous this type of situation wasn't taken into account when it was being built.
Thank your Mount Pleasant "small government" politicians. They don't wanna spend or raise tax money that would fund the heavy equipment needed to fight an ice storm.

So, you could demand they invest in heavy equipment that combats winter storms, which would sit unused most winters, maybe broken out 1 or 2 times every 2-3 years.

But 'round cheer, we call that excessive gubermint spending, and we aint too kinds to that stuff.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Thank your Mount Pleasant "small government" politicians. They don't wanna spend or raise tax money that would fund the heavy equipment needed to fight an ice storm.

So, you could demand they invest in heavy equipment that combats winter storms, which would sit unused most winters, maybe broken out 1 or 2 times every 2-3 years.

But 'round cheer, we call that excessive gubermint spending, and we aint too kinds to that stuff.
The area has 3 salt trucks if i remember correctly but what would be needed for the Ravenal bridge is something to warm up the cables and you would need one for each of the cables on both of the spires that would be expensive as hell even northern cities probably don't have mechanisms that keep the bridges warm because they don't have the same issues as we do.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 PM

859 posts, read 1,362,237 times
Could they use whatever it is the airlines use to de-ice the airplanes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area