Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 AM

49 posts, read 92,672 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Charleston, Sc area this summer. We have two children ages 12 & 11 so we are wanting a good family oriented neighborhood. I've researched some and thought Summerville and Goose Creek were nice till I started reading some posts on here. Can anyone tell me what areas are the best for children and we need a reasonably priced area. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,190 times
Summerville and Goose Creek are not bad places at all ... not sure where you'd have gotten that impression.

North Charleston gets a bad rap on here all the time but in most cases it is from lack of experience living here and based on antiquated ideas of what it is really like to live here. People perpetuate misinformation based on what North Charleston was perceived to be more than a decade ago.

North Charleston is a great place for the most part. My wife and I moved back here in Dec 1999. We've raised our two sons in North Charleston and I would not complain one bit.

We live in Windsor Hill and the boys have attended schools in the Dorchester District 2 school district (Windsor Hill Elementary, River Oaks Middle, Fort Dorchester High School). I can tell you that both my wife and I agree that it has been a good experience.

Our neighborhood is great and reasonably priced. There are both older homes as well as new construction.

If you have any specific questions about any particular areas, please feel free to message me directly or reply here.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Thank you so much for the info. We are in Illinois so the only research I have is from the internet. I know not everything on the internet is accurate which is why I decide to post the question. I was hoping to get info from individuals living in that area. We are so excited about moving. My husband still hasnt found work but we are still planning on heading that way this summer because we want to get out of Illinois and provide a better lifestyle for our children. We are confident once we are there he will find work if not before but that is why we need something reasonable because we will be on a tight budget at first. Thank you so much for the info. If you can offer anything in deatil about the area I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to message me or reply. Have a blessed day! :-)

Old 02-16-2014, 09:00 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
Perhaps the OP is confusing North "of" Charleston with the town of North Charleston? Just a guess.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwokids0408 View Post
Thank you so much for the info. We are in Illinois so the only research I have is from the internet. I know not everything on the internet is accurate which is why I decide to post the question. I was hoping to get info from individuals living in that area. We are so excited about moving. My husband still hasnt found work but we are still planning on heading that way this summer because we want to get out of Illinois and provide a better lifestyle for our children. We are confident once we are there he will find work if not before but that is why we need something reasonable because we will be on a tight budget at first. Thank you so much for the info. If you can offer anything in deatil about the area I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to message me or reply. Have a blessed day! :-)
My pleasure

Look in Windsor Hill for sure. If you see something you like let me know. If you see something in other areas, I've often offered to have a look (drive through the neighborhood etc) firsthand.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:11 AM

Thank you! I will check it out! :-)

Old 02-16-2014, 02:38 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
Something in the Dorchester 2 school district sounds like what you're looking for as bulldog said. There are other great places you might eventually be more drawn to but Summerville area is the most affordable with great schools.

Are you moving this summer or just coming for a reconnaissance visit?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM

We are moving this summer. We are going to try and come out around Easter to check areas out. Thank you for the info. I have heard good things and bad things about Summerville. That only certain areas are safe. I want to be sure before we move. Thank u again!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwokids0408 View Post
We are moving this summer. We are going to try and come out around Easter to check areas out. Thank you for the info. I have heard good things and bad things about Summerville. That only certain areas are safe. I want to be sure before we move. Thank u again!

Summerville is a safe town. Where are you moving from?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:50 PM

Southern Illinois. About thirty minutes outside of St Louis Mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area