Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,288 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am moving to charleston from Madison in feb and need a place that is close to MUSC (10-20) but in a safe area with lots to do....Hopefully i'd like to keep rent around $1000. any suggestions?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 AM

482 posts, read 280,006 times
Default Camp Road on James Island

You can find many apartments just off the peninsula only a few minutes drive to MUSC. There are several condo developments on Camp Road on James Island just off Folly a bit and I have recently priced 1 BR (and some 2!) for as low as $750 but most around $950. There always seem to be rentals available in this area. Driving into Charleston proper from Camp Road puts you right at MUSC (literally - it begins at the first street light when you take the Calhoon exit). When I have visited my nephew on Camp Road this drive took less than 10 minutes, albeit not at rush hour. The rentals I have perused on the Penisula in the $1000 range -- if you want your own place and don't want to share -- appear to be in questionable nabes north of Calhoun. I am no expert but when driving north of MUSC on Meeting St, the change in the housing & neighborhood was unbelievably dramatic: garbage, defunct businesses, drug deals in braod daylight, etc...and this is just a few blocks away from MUSC and some of the most upscale shopping in Charleston - and one of its priciest hotels. Frankly, even for someone used to how quickly a neighborhoods can change - block by block in many areas here in Brooklyn - I was still kind of shocked as was my sister.

As far as "things to do" you probably will have to go to Downtown Charleston for the "really happening" bars and clubs but there seem to be places to hang out right on James Island - hopefully someone else can fill you in on that. Still the drive from James Island to downtown is minimal - especially at night.

From Camp Road, near the Folly intersection, you are only about 10-15 minutes to Folly Beach (which rocks BTW). Most things you need - 24 hour Walgreens, Walmart, food shopping are within a few minutes of the Camp/Folly intersection. If you have not done so already, begin with one of the real estate web sites like Prudential to get a better picture of what's available - I have been working with an excellent agent there in prep for moving to Charleston next spring. The maps they have for most of their properties are really helpful and once you know where the apartment is then you can scan the tons of threads here about specific neighborhoods.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,611 times
I'm guessing echobeach is talking about Point James or Brigadier. They work.

I've found that most MUSC people that are renting can be located at the following places. These are all within your price range.

'The Peninsula' and 'The Regatta' both on James Island, but closer to the connector into downtown Charleston.

Also, 'The Concorde West of the Ashley' is just across the bridge from downtown in the other direction.

I would tend to stay on this side of the bridge rather than the Mount Pleasant side, but that is an option as well.

We can send you samples of available listings if you like.

jim

Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,959 times
Default walking distance to MUSC ... looking for a one bedroom

I will be attending MUSC this fall. I am looking for a nice, safe, clean, one bedroom apt. in a safe area. It MUST be walking distance to MUSC, the closer the better!

I currently live in NYC and will be in Charleston on June 17th for a few days looking to secure an apt. A highrise is fine and so is a great apt. in someones home. I graduated from Cornell 2 years ago, and am very responsible. I can supply excellent references from the current managing agent in NYC as well as additional references.

If you know a great RE Broker that handles this area, please email me your listings along with pictures.

My family lives in the Hilton Head area.
You can leave a message at 843-815-8033.

Thanks for helping me make Charleston my new home!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,429,314 times
Hi MUSC people!

Welcome to Charleston. I hope you find a place. Call a Realtor and they can show you what we have listed on MLS. By the way we do not have high rises here!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM

435 posts, read 835,017 times
I will try to go there and spend two-three days to look around in the downtown area. I used Craigslist and just drove by and call the leasing agents. Some place are kind of old though that I really don't like and they are asking close to $1000. I found a nice one bedroom 4 blocks from MUSC around 1000 plus about 100 water/electric. If you are looking at downtown apartments, you should ask about how much is the utilities because if it is an old house, it could be costly. Of couse, if you are looking at James island and West Ashley, the rent is a lot cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area