Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charleston area South Carolina, changes in the city, public transportation options, improved bus or water taxi service, healthy living, politically correct, good government

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 PM

99 posts, read 353,750 times

Advertisements

I am out in Goose Creek where we keep our mayors a long time too. I think Mayor Riley will be around as long as he wants to be. Old timers remember what happened when the Navy closed the shipyard here in Charleston. Almost a third of the population was employed, directly or indirectly, by the shipyard. People panicked some tried to "get out of dodge". At the time, I was living up north in another city whose fate paralleled Charleston’s, both historical, waterfront, and lost a major employer the same year. It was amazing how different their fates were. Charleston came back stronger and more diverse than ever. Never to rely on one industry again. Joe stepped on some toes doing it. A lot of people resisted encouraging tourism, in doing so, prices shot up and many natives could no longer afford downtown. This is happening along the oceanfront all over the country, it’s nothing exclusive to here. He made us one of the top tourist destinations in the world. So, if you have been around a long time, you know Charleston has changed, a lot. Some good, some bad. Areas that were nasty just ten years ago are being rebuilt. There are more white collar jobs. Many people had to leave, neighborhoods were broken up. It’s the gains and pains of progress.
As far as busses go, that is county government, not city. There used to be trolleys downtown, I have tripped over the tracks when they rise after a big storm. A lot of $$$$ has to go to repairs. This is an old city, much of it is built on fill that shook like crazy during the earthquake. If you live here you know about the pipes and roads rising and sinking, potholes, floods, and, of course, repairs must meet historical standards. When they get it all fixed there is a hurricane!
As for the city I used to live in, "last one out turn off the lights". They could have used Mayor Joe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,659,304 times
Good post GC. I really like our mayor here in GC and will continue to vote for him as long as he runs. I'm sorry to say I missed his series on Wed. about the history of GC. Hopefully after the holidays I can relax and read his books.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 PM

12 posts, read 28,061 times
No charleston should maintain it's buildings. I just feel that this place can be taken to a higher level. It's time for a change of guard. It's like when the first computer came out it was good for then but not now. Maybe the limits have been reached. Maybe Charleston needs a hard guy to lead who would make tough choices and add to the growth in a different way. Get street level maybe have some dirt under his finger. I'm sure when you got your first job you just hoped that they would give it to you even if you didn't have the big record just because you new you could do just as good if not better. It's good that people talk about things like this it makes people think more.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 AM

531 posts, read 1,738,145 times
I am considering moving to the Charleston area, have visited several times and I agree with the posters who say keep the architecture as it is.
An abundance of skyscrapers would ruin one of the things which makes Charleston such a lovely city. Along with Savannah,it is the most unique city I have ever visited. Don't know much about the politics there,but the nepotism is very much alive and well where I live so I think it exists everywhere.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCRB View Post
No charleston should maintain it's buildings. I just feel that this place can be taken to a higher level. It's time for a change of guard. It's like when the first computer came out it was good for then but not now. Maybe the limits have been reached. Maybe Charleston needs a hard guy to lead who would make tough choices and add to the growth in a different way. Get street level maybe have some dirt under his finger. I'm sure when you got your first job you just hoped that they would give it to you even if you didn't have the big record just because you new you could do just as good if not better. It's good that people talk about things like this it makes people think more.
Please explain what you mean by a "higher level"? We have some of the best restaurants and culture all located in a small area and just recently downtown became smoke-free. The area in which he is mayor doesn't have much room for growth. They are building a few more condo's in the area but where all the growth is happening is in different area's that have their own mayor's.

If people in the area want him out as mayor there need's to be a candidate that has the credentials to go up against him. I am a native and I've seen what he's done for downtown Charleston over the year's and so far it's all been for the good.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,445,343 times
Quote:
No charleston should maintain it's buildings.
Which buildings aren't being maintained?

Quote:
I just feel that this place can be taken to a higher level.
How? I'm sorry, but you've posted an awful lot about this topic, and I have yet to see you identify a specific problem.

Quote:
Maybe Charleston needs a hard guy to lead who would make tough choices and add to the growth in a different way. Get street level maybe have some dirt under his finger.
Tough choices about what? Add to the growth in what way? "Get street level," what does that mean?

Quote:
I'm sure when you got your first job you just hoped that they would give it to you even if you didn't have the big record just because you new you could do just as good if not better. It's good that people talk about things like this it makes people think more.
LOL talk about what? I don't have strong opinions about Charleston's current leadership, I'm just struggling to understand the specifics of what you are talking about.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM

482 posts, read 279,539 times
Smile Mass Transit and Growth Issues

As someone planning a move to Charleston one of the main things that I see as problematic is the lack of public transport. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving and am no fan of NYC'S subways BUT they are there and I know when the car is in the shop or I have to go to a highly-congested part of town I can jump on the train and get anywhere at anytime (in conjunction with the massive bus system). From what I have seen from my visits to Charleston the few buses are poorly marked, routes are unknown at many stops and there is no real mass commuter transport at all...and certainly it is not publicized or pushed the way it is in larger places like NY. (Although I will never understand the electronic signs on NY roadways that flash "TAKE MASS TRANSIT" to people who are already in their cars. )

Vis-a-vis the mayor: I have read a lot about this last election and part of the problem, besides entrenchment, is lack of a valid contender which contributes to the other problem of extremely low voter turnout...and as far as lowering crime the only thing I can discern from reading and driving around the Penisula and surrounding areas is that any crime downtown has simply been pushed north, thus there is the appearance of lower crime (don't want to scare the tourists!) but everyday the local paper presents us with atrocious gun-fights and drug-related crimes.

Any rapidly growing city has problems but Charleston seems overly focused on tourism and the historic district. Jobs are a problem -- unless you want to give phony ghost tours or drive a carriage! Looking over the numbers for employment, I just don't see the diversity someone posted about. MUSC and tourism and all its related generally lower-pay scale jobs and Walmart (6th largest employer in Charleston County) seem to be the biggest games in town. I see a burgeoning bio-tech industry but it is by any standards in its infancy.

One more fear of Charleston's stasis: the general political backwardness. Things we take for granted in other (okay, mostly northern) cities - say hate crimes legislation, equal opportunity for all, rent-control, environmental initiatives do not seem to exist in South Carolina. If I am wrong please post and tell me. I mean, here one can't lose an apartment or job because they are gay but in Charleston there are no such protections...and Charleston would seem to be one of the most liberal and diverse parts of the state. Where are the local laws to protect everybody?

This all said, Charleston is a uniquely beautiful place with friendly, polite people. There are many reasons it is filling up with transplants (and their money). A slower pace, warmer weather, the beaches and just a general better quality of life when compared to the large urban centers some of us are fleeing... and this Brooklynite cannot wait to move to a nice little ranch-style house on James Island. We are just keeping our fingers crossed that my spouse and I can find work in our fields.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 AM

12 posts, read 28,061 times
What he said..........To the others it sounds like you've settled...........this is as good as it's going to get...........this is good to talk about it.........I like the points of views........keep it coming........I want to here both sides.........So in the future how do you see Charelston the same or better or worst?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,445,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echobeach View Post
Things we take for granted in other (okay, mostly northern) cities - say hate crimes legislation, equal opportunity for all, rent-control, environmental initiatives do not seem to exist in South Carolina.
With regard to environmental initiatives, SC has done a decent job. Charleston has the Coastal Conservation League, which is a fairly powerful organization. A lot of our environmental initiatives are related to wildlife, and range from the CCA, to Ducks Unlimited, to Sea Turtle programs, all of which are in the Charleston area. Nearly every river and water body has a "Friends of.." organization, devoted to environmental issues. Here's a list of environmental organizations in coastal SC:

South Carolina SC - Lowcountry Environmental, Conservation Organizations

As far as hate crime legislation and rent control are concerned, those are only "forward" if you are politically liberal. Not to get into a policy debate, but, I personally think those are two of the most backward types of legislation that I can think of.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
What he said..........To the others it sounds like you've settled...........this is as good as it's going to get...........this is good to talk about it.........I like the points of views........keep it coming........I want to here both sides.........So in the future how do you see Charelston the same or better or worst?
PDCRB you still haven't answered my question about wanting Charleston be taken to a higher level......Also you haven't answered any of the questions Anonymous has asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area