U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charleston area South Carolina, changes in the city, public transportation options, improved bus or water taxi service, healthy living, politically correct, good government

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 26,003 times

Advertisements

I love Charleston but it's time for a new mayor does anyone feel the same way. Charleston is not moving in the direction it should be due to the dead wood running it or am I the only one that feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Anyone want to start a wish list of what they would like changed........isn't it time that we start some where so a change can come about or is this as good as Charlestons going to get........if something is run the same way for years it usually gets run into the ground.....anyone.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM

192 posts, read 495,248 times
Good idea! I'm not living in Charleston yet, but plan to be within the next few months. What I've seen so far impresses me a LOT. But no place is perfect, so it's good to keep a positive outlook on things that can be improved.

The only thing that pops to mind after several visits to the area is the lack of public transportation options. I'm worried about all of the traffic problems I keep reading about, and know that these will continue to worsen as long as more people (including myself ) continue to move in.

So, my vote is for a rail system, or at least improved bus or water taxi service. A girl can dream, right?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Thank you nice positive comment.........anyone........because we no at this point in time that Charleston runs in this one direction without mentioning and cups are full but it's time to bring the whole place into focus so Charleston can be the place it should be. Some times you need to go outside the box to take a look into the box and see what needs fixing or start making the right choices for a great place as Charleston is and should be............anyone.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 PM

Oh what about the bikes that people can use in Charleston. Lets look like were doing good for the people but know that the bikes will be taken. Just a little little example.....anyone. Business as usual aint going to cut it there is plenty of revenue due to all the population $$$$ growth.....anyone.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:07 PM

36 posts, read 189,807 times
Default laughing, ah yes...

Many of us have some wonderful ideas to help Charleston move along in a more progressive pace, but from what I've learned, there is old money, old politics and old family ties behind the land of oz... Not to mention that many of the folks born here don't see anything wrong and they blame the new folks for the issues. When cities become overpopulated and our government does nothing to solve transportation issues, frustration runs high and fuels the desire to kick, scream and blame as we all try to carve out a niche for ourselves.

I've been to countries in Europe and Asia, the large metro areas have unbelievable public rail and subway services that solve the main artery of problems that plague many of the cities in the USA. Why Los Angeles, and other large cities don't have a real rail system running through the city is beyond me. Charleston has a MAJOR traffic issue, and yet I don't see a rail system being discussed anywhere (maybe it's happening privately).

The blue states in general seem to have the right idea as to incorporating healthy, politically correct, and kinder living into the lives of the general public, but then that's just an opinion.

However, I don't blame the mayor, because like our country, oz has a cabinet that is also in charge of making decisions... The solution... ?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Wow very nice. The old folks are taking from the new folks coming to Charelston and you can tell the system is not feeding peoples needs anymore there just taking. You just can't ignore peoples needs thats not good government and every day can't be ground hog day. There is to much $$$$$$ here that Charelston isn't moving in a better way. The same thing day after day.........anyone.

Last edited by PDCRB; 12-02-2007 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 04:21 PM

272 posts, read 813,202 times
The same can be said for North Charleston.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM

I know it's not the mayors fault but for the 9th term is a bit much. There is to many transplants putting down good money and I'm not excluding the good natives I think these people need to get more involved then just enjoying Charelston because it's there $$$$$$$ being used for god knows what......not to mention the vactioners and the cost of everything......anyone.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:25 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,070,949 times
I don't understand why you are trying to put this all on the mayor. It's not his fault there isn't a rail system. There has been talk for many year's about putting one from Summerville to downtown but it would cost millions of dollar's to build. Look how long it took to get the Ravenel bridge built. Yes, the mayor has been in office for a very long time but before he was in office crime downtown was HORRIBLE! It's still bad in some area's but in the past you would be afraid to walk down the street in the daylight. Beside's there really hasn't been a candidate that would give him a good run. For the record, he's not my mayor but being on the outside looking in this is the way I see it.

What direction do you want downtown Charleston to move in? Do you want the older buildings torn down to build high rise's like NYC? Quite frankly I don't and I believe the mayor and county council has done a great job trying to preserve the charm that has brought so many to Charleston. There is a reason why is one of the top tourist destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or