Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,279,197 times

Advertisements

I think it's nice to have but will be rarely used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:32 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times
Bike lanes are a good thing in many cases...it keeps the darn things out of the roadway.

As to a bike lane on 526 from Mount Pleasant to North Charleston...that'd be about as useful as sidewalks on 2-lane roads that you never see people walking on.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
I think it's nice to have but will be rarely used.
I kind of agree. I have mixed feelings on it. I don't bike, but my husband does, and I'm a runner. I love to see things built to encourage people to bike or run, or live healthy lifestyles. My thing is, traffic on that bridge was already pretty bad and I don't know that the ultimate outcome will be positive. It's a great thing for those who bike or run, but that's really a small population compared to those who drive on that bridge.

I wish the bridge was like the Ravenel with the dedicated lanes separated from traffic- I love running over the Cooper River Bridge and feel safe there. I've never really liked running over bridges/connectors like the IOP connector that don't have a partisan between the traffic and the runners/bikers.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I agree on most of this Rory. When I bike downtown I obey all the laws just like a car. I don't move in and out of waiting cars and cheat lights. That's something that really give bikers a bad name. If you want to be treated like a vehicle.. then obey the laws like a vehicle.

I think bike lanes are great. I agree they get the bikers out of the path of vehicles. I don't feel that narrowing a lane to make a bike lane really buys you much unless all the lanes are narrowed enough to create the space. However, I don't agree with reducing vehicle lanes to create bicycle lanes. This continues to be an issue of penalizing the many to support the vast minority.
But are all 4 lanes absolutely necessary? Especially when the speed limit is 35? (That means not going over 43 MPH for you aggressive drivers)

Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,148 times
Probably more than a bike lane. It's about traffic flow and capacity... not always about speed.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
But are all 4 lanes absolutely necessary? Especially when the speed limit is 35? (That means not going over 43 MPH for you aggressive drivers)
I think it is. One of the major problems this area is facing and will continue to face with the explosive growth is the traffic congestion. Widening Hwy 17, widening 26, fixing the 25/526 interchange - all of these measures were done to decrease congestion. Thus, it seems nonsensical to actually decrease a road's capacity while everywhere else we're looking to expand. It becomes a snowball effect when you do something like this - much like when you're on the highway and they close one lane. Traffic backs up much further back than the one area. I can't imagine why anyone would think this is a good idea if they've spent any time in our area at all. I think it will lead to a ton of frustrated motorists - something we should be trying to decrease not increase!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,087 times
Quote:

Trust me...when driving 35 across that bridge (in either direction...but especially into downtown) you get more people pissed off at you than in any other single section of town. I thought I was the only one that drove the speed limit in town?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Trust me...when driving 35 across that bridge (in either direction...but especially into downtown) you get more people pissed off at you than in any other single section of town. I thought I was the only one that drove the speed limit in town?
Some day, I will James-Bond up my car, and then just hit the oil slick button.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
I really don't think things where thought out to well here. Taking a lane away from autos to use for bikes is crazy. Not that I'm opposed to bikes, but why didn't our fair leaders look at the old bridge which is right next to it (I call it the Spring Street bridge). That bridge has three lanes of traffic and two existing sidewalks on it that are hardly used?
They could take the two sidewalks, one on each side of the bridge now and rework it so that you could have (one) wider sidewalk on just one side of that bride and mainten the same three lanes of traffic but realined. Bet it would cost less and would not affect the existing traffic at all.
As it stands now taking a lane away will surly cause big, big problems. Mark my word.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Speeding going the other way (heading away from downtown) is a BAD idea there. The Waffle House parking lot is a favorite hangout for CPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area