Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Sitting at a stop light doesn't constitute "bad traffic".

I haven't sat in traffic in months.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
They are.

The OP doesn't seem to know the area.
Yep. Another Holiday Inn, and a Hilton Hotel.

So if you want to work as a guest check-in technician, go for it.

We need real jobs; Tech jobs; Jobs that the town isn't seeking because those companies want more than they're willing to allow them to develop.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Sitting at a stop light doesn't constitute "bad traffic".

Then you haven't driven in Mount Pleasant in months. I will say...it flows a bit better, but 17 has turned into a NASCAR wannabe track, and Houston Northcutt is basically a fair-like bumper car experience its so chaotic.

The town is projected to grow by 25,000 more people in the next 5-10 years. Hope the government wont be too bankrupt to serve them by then.

However, looks like a few of our new council members ARE trying to push the rest of them into reasonable new waters in trying to deal with it.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
I will NEVER argue that people drive to fast & dangerously (everywhere in the area...with my daily experiences being in MtP). Police sitting and doing nothing.

Also, that first intersection on Houston Northcutt is pretty stupid.

No arguments there...

Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Then you haven't driven in Mount Pleasant in months.
I can't remember the last time I sat still on Hwy.17 unless a stop light was red. I doubt any sensible person would say traffic is the same as it was 18 months ago.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Yep. Another Holiday Inn, and a Hilton Hotel.

So if you want to work as a guest check-in technician, go for it.

We need real jobs; Tech jobs; Jobs that the town isn't seeking because those companies want more than they're willing to allow them to develop.

Since I've not attended a council meeting where it was discussed, what tech companies have asked to develop land at the base of the Ravenel Bridge? I'd like to know for future discussions with council members. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Mt Pleasant is the first place I've ever lived that I am genuinely happy to pay my taxes. When I pay, I can literally point to all of the services the town offers and say that yep, my money is being spent well. If Mt P town council needs to raise my taxes a bit, I don't mind.

I would prefer to pay a bit more in taxes rather than trying to make it become an urban center. As to traffic, it's the best I've seen it in years and years. The widening of 17 has made an enormous difference. I've had no issues since they've completed the work.

I think our town police and fire department are fantastic. I once had a fire at my house. The fire department was there with three trucks in less than two minutes. Thanks to them, the damage was minimal and they saved everything I owned. They were incredibly professional, kind, and completely competent. I couldn't have asked for better.

My only experience with the police was when my husband had some tools stolen from his unlocked truck (yes, I know - I told him he was silly to leave it unlocked!). I wasn't going to file a report because my husband felt it was his fault, so I just tweeted them about it. They insisted on coming out, talking to us, etc. and ended up finding the culprit (kids). In exchange for an apology, the return of the tools, and the police scaring the bejeezus out of those kids, we did not press charges. I felt the whole thing was handled well. Once again, the police were so very nice and so responsive. I genuinely felt like they cared even though my 'case' would be considered small potatoes by anyone's measure.

Even though we're planning on moving out to the country because I crave going back to a farm, we can't regret even one minute we've lived here in Mt Pleasant. We did it because we wanted my daughter to go to an excellent school and have plenty of friends. We got everything we wanted out of the area plus some.

If I have to pay a few more taxes, I'm game. I would much rather pay more taxes to my local municipality than pay more to federal and/or state where I cannot even begin to rationalize the value for my dollar.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to southbel again
What she said.. well except for the urban center part. I think we can properly balance big block stores and white collar business without becoming an urban center. But.. I completely agree with being willing to pay more taxes in Mt P because I feel, as a whole, they've been good shepherds of the money to date. There are some directions I would prefer to go.. but over all I'm very happy.

I really don't have an issue with the drivers or traffic on 17 except the section between 41 to Long Point and the roads in Park West (they really need the 4 lanes originally planned through Dunes West Blvd). I drive 17 and Coleman daily.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Is there some news source covering this (aside from meeting minutes in the 1st post)? It seems like the sort of thing the media would jump on before long and the lack of news indicates maybe it's not such a big deal.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Is there some news source covering this (aside from meeting minutes in the 1st post)? It seems like the sort of thing the media would jump on before long and the lack of news indicates maybe it's not such a big deal.
I've seen it covered a few times but it's not quite as dire as the OP is making it out to be.

In Mount Pleasant, a big bill coming due – The Post and Courier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area