Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times

Advertisements

Saltwater Cowboys -- best views on Shem Creek!
Ribs, eh, OK. Will go back for drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
I need a vote guys/gals: Who currently holds the title for best Ramen House in the tri-county area? I'm desperate for a good bowl of ramen...

Old 09-20-2018, 12:36 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Saltwater Cowboys -- best views on Shem Creek!
Ribs, eh, OK. Will go back for drinks.
We went to Saltwater Cowboys on Sunday. The Storm had passed and we had the windows virtually to ourselves. There was an absolutely beautiful view of the Creek. The view rivals or surpasses Vickery's. Those Rooftop Seats would be nice place to catch an Autumn Breeze. DW declared the Shrimp & Grits to be excellent, Mine were good too.

Did that place used to be something else ?? JB's ??

Old 09-20-2018, 01:02 PM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
We went to Saltwater Cowboys on Sunday. The Storm had passed and we had the windows virtually to ourselves. There was an absolutely beautiful view of the Creek. The view rivals or surpasses Vickery's. Those Rooftop Seats would be nice place to catch an Autumn Breeze. DW declared the Shrimp & Grits to be excellent, Mine were good too.

I just checked out their online menu and it started making me rub my tummy.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Shrimp and Grits. Order it in 10 restaurants and it can come 15 different ways. Yes, even in the same restaurant depending on who is cooking that night.

Dear old friend, 5 generation Charlestonian, black lady, well educated, well travelled, lived in NYC and Chicago, ate is some of the best restaurants the US has to offer, said Justine' s Kitchen had Shrimp and Grits that were most like the ones her Great Grandmother and her Grandmother made than any other place in Charleston. She said, to use her words, to many place like to "Foo-Foo" (fancy) them up and it is a basic, cheap meal.

Same with She Crab soup. Cannot be done as originally done because crab eggs cannot be harvested.

Same as Turtle Soup as Turtles cannot be used.

Same with Scrod or Schrod but another story.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post

RB's is next door, so to speak. SC was a wedding venue called The Cottage.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Shrimp and Grits. Order it in 10 restaurants and it can come 15 different ways. Yes, even in the same restaurant depending on who is cooking that night.

Dear old friend, 5 generation Charlestonian, black lady, well educated, well travelled, lived in NYC and Chicago, ate is some of the best restaurants the US has to offer, said Justine' s Kitchen had Shrimp and Grits that were most like the ones her Great Grandmother and her Grandmother made than any other place in Charleston. She said, to use her words, to many place like to "Foo-Foo" (fancy) them up and it is a basic, cheap meal.

Same with She Crab soup. Cannot be done as originally done because crab eggs cannot be harvested.

Same as Turtle Soup as Turtles cannot be used.

Same with Scrod or Schrod but another story.

Have S&G cooked by 10 different grandmothers and it can come 15 different ways too. My ex is from Baton Rouge and cooked S&G with a roux which was the first way I'd ever had it. Now that's what I expect and all others seem inferior to me. The restaurants seem to all use large shrimp too but I think the small shrimp are better. Easier to cook all the way through without turning them into rubber...

Old 09-21-2018, 11:27 AM

36 posts, read 28,288 times
Finally got to Parcel 32 on Upper King, formerly home of Fish. Everything was really superb. Chilled Cucumber Soup, Half Rib and Banana Beignets were all outstanding. Highly Recommend!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
I am no expert, or an executive Chef, I am a person that has eaten around the world. I think Chefs have the hardest jobs in the world. They have to please us, people , with different taste buds..
Credit to all who cook for us, including spouses.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:45 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,164 times
Since moving from DC about five years ago, one of the things I miss the most is a Peruvian chicken restaurant in Arlington called El Pollo Rico. It is hands down my favorite chicken in the world, and along with Pho 75, almost stopped me from moving away.

So when I heard that a Peruvian chicken place called Mario's Peruvian Chicken was opening in MP, I was both excited and apprehensive, as it seemed like a perfect recipe for expectations related disappointment.

I just came back and I have to say I loved it. It wasn't Pollo Rico but it was 95% there, which makes it amazingly delicious. The french fries and coleslaw were also good but who cares?! I loooooooooooooove their chicken!!!

Seriously, I highly recommend it ... and who knows, you might even see me there as I plan to live on site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area