U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-09-2008, 04:34 AM

482 posts, read 181,953 times
Default That's Mr. Circus to you....

Six weeks after arriving here in Charleston I can say most of my fears were unfounded. People are for the most part polite and either blind or could really care less, or would just not say so, vis-a vis two middle-aged men cohabiting and doing the daily stuff couples do...although I will say many of our neighbors are chilly but most are at least polite.

Love love love James Island - such a great location with so many beautifull trees and the beach and we are downtown in 10 or so minutes!

P.S. I have only stepped into Walmart once - the first day we got here and realized there were no lights in the bedrooms or living room...glad that the Super Walmart was blocked for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 11,027 times
Default Gay-friendly Charleston

Hello new Charlestonian!

I'm glad you and your partner decided to move here, because hey, the more the merrier. I currently live on James Island too, though I also grew up here. I'm glad you and your partner have found it nice. I suspect your neighbors may be chilly if you are in one of the newer developments--true locals rarely shun new neighbors from my experience.

I love many aspects of this town, and though I am not appointed the official gay welcome committee, I do run a group for young gay men (18-30) so I talk to newcomers all the time.

If you were looking for gay things to do--AFFA (Alliance For Full Acceptance) has its base here and has a get-together of some sort once every month or two. Also, Vickerie's downtown has tons of gays eating there, and the Blue Rose cafe in West Ashley is gay-owned/operated. So are Park Circle Coffee and Cream (North Charleston) and Chart (next door to Park Circle C &C). As for churches: Unitarian Church of Charleston downtown, St. Stephen's Episcopal (downtown), Circular Congregational (downtown), MCC (North Charleston), and Open Door Christian Church (West Ashley).

Hey! If you enjoy Folly during the daytime, there ought to be tons of nice gays (couples and non, gay and lesbian and straight and everyone in between) at Big Gay Beach Day 5.0. It will be Saturday, July 19th, 11 AM- 5 PM. Go down to the stoplight on Folly Island, turn left and drive exactly 2.2 miles. You should see an empty lot on your right--find parking and cross over the dunes and come find us by the flags!
Make sure tires are off the pavement, car facing with the flow of traffic. Alcohol permitted, no open containers (bring a koozie), no glass. No pets (sorry, Folly rules). CHAMP (my group) is putting it on--we would love it if you could swing by!

Stoo

PS: Don't worry about finding a larger community here--it's really what you make of it! Also, gay people tend hit Folly Beach on the weekends at the far end (near Lighthouse). Just park near the last public access on that end and follow the dirt path (not the cement one beyond the barrier) to find some. Friendly bunch of gays and lesbians!

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM

543 posts, read 1,449,123 times
To get off the redneck issue....(yes, i am a full blooded southerner myself)
I am wondering how gay couples make everything legal. Since common law marriage does not exist anymore in this state, do gay couples have to have paperwork drawn up by an attorney? Also, does the immediate family (not the partner) of the person who is ill or deceased have the ability to challenge the will or legal paperwork of the partner? Does probate handle these types of things differently?

***Trying to ask this because the original poster started it***

I love my gay friends but I do not have a single clue as to how the legal aspects of being in a gay relationship work. It is my honest opinion that gay marriage will never be legal in this state, so something has to be done to protect the interest of the partner.

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:48 PM

4,466 posts, read 7,343,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
To get off the redneck issue....(yes, i am a full blooded southerner myself)
I am wondering how gay couples make everything legal. Since common law marriage does not exist anymore in this state, do gay couples have to have paperwork drawn up by an attorney? Also, does the immediate family (not the partner) of the person who is ill or deceased have the ability to challenge the will or legal paperwork of the partner? Does probate handle these types of things differently?

***Trying to ask this because the original poster started it***

I love my gay friends but I do not have a single clue as to how the legal aspects of being in a gay relationship work. It is my honest opinion that gay marriage will never be legal in this state, so something has to be done to protect the interest of the partner.
It is impossible to match the legal benefits of being married with legal documents, but some aspects can be duplicated. I know couples that have had health care powers of attorney written up and have very specific wills, but these still don't duplicate all of the legal rights that married couples have. I'm an optimist, though, and I fully expect to be able to marry in South Carolina at some point in my life, even if it isn't until I'm 80. The change will probably come at the federal level and include those states that are behind the curve, so to speak.

Unread 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,442,813 times
You'd need an SC attorney to answer the probate, tax, insurance, medical right questions. With regard to property deeds, however, joint tenants with right of survivorship would provide all the necessary protection of homeownership, since upon one owners death, his/her interest in the property immediately vests in the other person without going through probate, even if the will declares otherwise.

Unread 06-26-2008, 08:07 PM

96 posts, read 274,969 times
man , Folly has really turned gay . not that theres anything wrong with that .oh for the days of yore .

Unread 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM

23 posts, read 41,125 times
As a gay CofC student living downtown, I agree with the comments said here about the Charleston area in general. The Circular Church on meeting street is one of the most accepting I've seen. I also agree with the comment on Vickeries, I've gone there numerous times and there is a large gay staff. They are great!

Unread 06-29-2008, 08:51 AM

354 posts, read 584,859 times
wow, you write very well and are a very effective speaker! I am married/straight woman and my uncle is gay, lives in HA, and comes here fairly often to visit and always thoroughly enjoys going out to the nightlife (I believe there is a big gay nightclub scene) and never feels alienated (although he too, like you, is not "overtly" obvious). I think attitudes have changed a lot over the years, I don't ever hear of ANY "gay bashing" around here...I also think racism has lessened over the years as well. Personally, I dislike very public PDA's from gay or straight. I live in Mount Pleasant, and honestly - I do not see nor hear of many gay men but I do see a lot of lesbians here, I think that Folly and James Island is more of a liberal, young, artsy, surfing like area than homogenous MtP. So, I think you'll be totally fine.

Unread 10-12-2008, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 32,202 times
Hi Echobeach,
Just reading this thread because we are thinking of moving to that area in about a year. I am straight, female, married, in my 50s with adult children and grandkids, Christian and yes, for the most part, conservative. You sound like a really nice guy and someone I would love to have as a neighbor. I am the kind of neighbor that would probably just wave to you in passing, but would be there for you if you needed me. We don't socialize really with our neighbors, just have a chat in the yard from time to time. Just that we are so busy with family, jobs, school (I work FT and am finishing my masters - whew!). Anyway, we are looking at the James Island area among others, and now that I read this thread, am more inclined to continue looking there. I have a cousin (much younger than I) from the deep south, who got married, no kids, and revealed to me a couple of years ago that he was gay. Nothing shocks me in life anymore, I just told him how much I loved him and that God loved him and nothing, repeat, nothing could stop that love. I just felt so bad for him because most of his life, he lived with this and fought it and got counseling, etc, etc, and finally just accepted it. He is now divorced. I am sorry for all the pain he has had to endure and you know what? At the end of the day, I just want him to know how much I love him. Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying your new home and hope that everything is going well for you and your partner and if we ever become neighbors - I would love to get to know you - if it is one thing I have learned in life - cherish those good people in your life because, darn it , life is hard and we only get one chance at it! Take care and God Bless!

Unread 11-02-2008, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 10,198 times
Default Greetings...

My partner and I recently relocated to Charleston from Raleigh, NC. Thanks for the info on area churches that are gay friendly. We would really like to find a gay friendly Baptist church, if there is such a thing. Maybe that's the official definition of an oxymoron. (LOL)

Also, knowing Charleston is a smaller community, we'd enjoy learning more about some of the gay/gay friendly get-togethers in the area. (In addition to those mentioned earlier in this post.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area