Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 16,731 times

Advertisements

Gay guy here, I can't say that the Charleston area has a specifically gay friendly reputation. There's not a lot of rainbow visibility here, though there's a pride march and festival downtown every August

The closest to a gayborhood would be Park Circle in North Charleston, I view it as stereotypically hipster more than anything else though.

By SC standards it's generally live and let live. Mt P definitely has no gayborhoods, though the vibe is culturally tolerant because of the huge influx of transplants from more liberal states ( esp in N Mt P around Carolina Park). I know gay couples living throughout Mt. Pleasant and they have never had any problems related to homophobia.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 03:14 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,308,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester123 View Post
Mt P definitely has no gayborhoods, though the vibe is culturally tolerant because of the huge influx of transplants from more liberal states ( esp in N Mt P around Carolina Park).
This would indicate that non transplants are incapable of being tolerant? How about it's less about being transplants and more about being a largely more Libertarian leaning...

Old 07-19-2016, 03:47 PM

It's simply a fact that SC was one of the last states that had to be dragged kicking and screaming by the Supreme Court into approving marriage equality.

The majority of the state does not like gays having the same rights as heterosexuals.

That said, sure some natives are supportive and not all transplants are, but the polls clearly show that SC statewide ranks among the lowest in approval of homosexuality.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:37 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,308,776 times
There can be a difference between approval of homosexuality and acceptance that people need to able to live their lives. Personally I'm pretty ambivalent. I know SC natives that are pretty religious and view homosexuality as a sin, but also believe everyone sins and its not their job to judge.

I hear what you're saying, but different areas of the state have always had different voting demographics. Funny thing is many of the transplants around me are far more conservative than i am.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,275,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
There can be a difference between approval of homosexuality and acceptance that people need to able to live their lives. ... different areas of the state have always had different voting demographics. Funny thing is many of the transplants around me are far more conservative than i am.
So much truth here.
But going beyond "that people need to able to live their lives" is being welcomed to the neighborhood.
I'm not going to stand on the side of the road with a sign saying "Gay newcomers, please move here," but when I have new neighbors, I welcome them. And then, over time, we decide if we'll be friends.

Sorry, don't know of specific gay-friendly neighborhoods. But I believe there are many friendly neighborhoods across Charleston.

Last edited by joyeaux; 07-19-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 08:46 PM

I definitely agree that it's easy to generalize and I'm surely guilty of it.

I really don't want to drag this thread OT.

So, I think these folks would be happy down here, as long as they are not expecting or need Provincetown levels of gay life. If that's the case Ft Lauderdale, Key West are a much better fit.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:17 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,839,254 times
Quote:
It's simply a fact that SC was one of the last states that had to be dragged kicking and screaming by the Supreme Court into approving marriage equality.

The majority of the state does not like gays having the same rights as heterosexuals.

That said, sure some natives are supportive and not all transplants are, but the polls clearly show that SC statewide ranks among the lowest in approval of homosexuality.
Who cares about state. Charlestown area has a good bit of gays. If you don't think then you need to open your eyes. 3 different ones stay on my street and are the friendliest people I know. You will be fine

Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,730,633 times
Quote:
Gay guy here, I can't say that the Charleston area has a specifically gay friendly reputation. There's not a lot of rainbow visibility here, though there's a pride march and festival downtown every August

The closest to a gayborhood would be Park Circle in North Charleston, I view it as stereotypically hipster more than anything else though.

By SC standards it's generally live and let live. Mt P definitely has no gayborhoods, though the vibe is culturally tolerant because of the huge influx of transplants from more liberal states ( esp in N Mt P around Carolina Park). I know gay couples living throughout Mt. Pleasant and they have never had any problems related to homophobia.

Good Luck!
Would be nice if one of the nearby ones became a gayborhood. They're always kept up well - never a bad area. 29407, please!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:50 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,145,548 times
Avondale is the de facto gayborhood. I openly joke with a neighbor about a bigoted guy who moved 4 houses down and massively over-remodeled (1300 sf to about 3100 sf with single lesbian and a lesbian couple on either side and two doors down from a gay guy. There are 4 other gay/lesbian households on the street as well.

That said Charleston still does not have much in the way for someone wanting an out & proud lifestyle. Columbia supposedly has a much more vibrant gay community.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,959,683 times
One of my good friends and her wife live in Shell Ring on Daniel Island (really it's St. Thomas area). They ended up buying there because a few of her gay married friends lived over there. Small neighborhood and of the gay population there, it's mostly gay married folks and several with children. It's another option if looking to be near other gay couples and families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area