Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 PM

99 posts, read 354,889 times

Advertisements

Wherever you choose, check the blue laws first!!!! Rules about alcohol vary widely here and are the reason some areas will never have a anything but diners and fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCJoe View Post
One's opinion of whether an area is "upscale" is certainly subjective. However, according to Money Magazine the medium family income of Mt. Pleasant is $80,167, the medium home price is $419.027 and the percentage of adult residents with some college education is 80.2% Not bad for a southern town and I would think favoring an "upscale casual restaurant."
with all due respect you'd be lucky if MtP's medium income is 1/4 of that in reality... they obviously only polled certain neighborhoods and avg'd them alone...

many of the upscale neighborhoods around MtP are exactly that, around MtP and not in it... many very poor neighborhoods are in it's heart

Old 12-20-2007, 09:17 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,973 times
Well, to be honest, if I have to travel out of Summerville for a good restaurant then I'm heading right into Charleston to dine at my favorites.

So selfishly I will choose Summerville, but it might be a bit riskier of a market from a business point of view.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:27 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,950 times
I was surprised by the figure of $80,167 as being the medium income to some degree, although even if you leave out the Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island and Daniel Island, I think Mt. Pleasant would have the highest average family income in the immediate area. The 2000 census lists a per capita income for the town of Mt. Pleasant as $30,823, so the estimated medium family income of $80,167 may not be too far off. Much of the growth in Mt. Pleasant in recent years has been attributed to relatively well off families from out of state moving into the town, bringing with them a rather high annual family income. With the average home price in Mt. Pleasant being $405,607 in 2005 according to the Mt. Pleasant 2005 Special Census, I would think that it would take a substantial family income to qualify to purchase the homes in the Mt. pleasant that have been sold to new residents. If Mt. Pleasants medium family income were 1/4 of figure I mentioned there certainly would be few if any homes sold in the town.There are some low income ares in the town but they certainly make up a very small percentage of the population.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The 2000 census lists a per capita income for the town of Mt. Pleasant as $30,823, so the estimated medium family income of $80,167 may not be too far off.
spoken like a true salesman

last time I check people making 30K and those making 80K lived quite different lives, there's is no comparison so how that "may not be far off" I'm not sure

and although areas outside of MtP have grown, inside MtP doesn't have a lot of room for growth... land isn't something that grows as you build

I've got to hand it to you realtors, you've really marketed MtP into something it wasn't/isn't...

Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,950 times
A good Realtor should certainly try to be objective in their evaluation of a home, neighborhood and community. Per capita income is the income of one person. [SIZE=-1]Median family income reflects the income level at which half of all families earn more, and half earn less, so that is why I commented about the $80,000 not being too far off. If half the families in Mt. Pleasant in 2000 had a combined family income of over $80,000, there are certainly a large number of households in Mt. Pleasant who can afford to eat out at an upscale restaurant.
With regards to growth in Mt. Pleasant. Much of Mt. Pleasant has been built out. However, according to the town of Mt. Pleasant, there are about 6000 housing units planned,under construction or available in existing subdivisions. This translates into quite a large number of additional residents moving into Mt. Pleasant in the coming years.
I and I would think other Mt. Pleasant residents and forum members who have visited the town of Mt. Pleasant would like to learn how the town has been marketed into something it wasn't/isn't. The majority of the complimentary remarks about the town of Mt. Pleasant, Summerville and other Charleston area seem to have come from non Realtor forum members.
[/SIZE]

Old 12-26-2007, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 164,811 times
Default Not bad at all for a bunch of REDNECKS

I still wouldn't call it upscale but mayb that is from being raised differently in upscale communities. Some will only survive where the rednecks roam.
you are using incorrect data but ya right ok maybe San Fran, Glendale, san Diego isn't as upscale as your redneck home........At least Jacsonville, FL is much nicer

Quote:
One's opinion of whether an area is "upscale" is certainly subjective. However, according to Money Magazine the medium family income of Mt. Pleasant is $80,167, the medium home price is $419.027 and the percentage of adult residents with some college education is 80.2% Not bad for a southern town and I would think favoring an "upscale casual restaurant."

Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM

25 posts, read 104,390 times
I have clients in Goose Creek who say they desperately need a good restaurant. Lots of growth going on in that area too -- Del Webb and developments up highway 52 with a paucity of restaurants plus Google coming in too.

I live in Mt P and don't make the median but eat out a lot and would vote for Mt P for my own selfish reasons.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,893 times
Yes GC needs a few good restaurants.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Yes GC needs a few good restaurants.
they have them... Alex's, Lil' Pappy's and Citgo hot dogs

juzzzzz kiddin', they do need to widen their horizon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area