Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

I am an MBA from USC - Columbia and I have been trying for many months to get a job with MUSC in a business or administrative position. I feel that I am definitely qualified for the positions for which I have applied, but cannot really get any sort of feedback. I feel that my online applications are just kind of going into a black hole. Does anyone have any advice or can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
It can take a while. You can call the HR department to find out if your application met the minimum requirements. That way you know at least it's being put in front of a manager. One of the hardest things about getting a position at a hospital is the whole prior medical experience part. Most jobs that don't require prior medical experience are entry level positions.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
I'm going be honest with you. My wife works in the Neuroscience department and once they have an opening, well over 100+ applicants apply. Make sure you attach everything required (cover letter, resume, references) because they will automatically delete your application if something is missing. As for the HR hiring process, it's split into 3 parts.

1. Making sure the application is complete, and requirements are met (1st week after closed application date)
2. Location of applicant, experience, references (2nd week)
3. Interview (3rd week)

Make sure you have a great cover letter, sometimes it's more important than the resume itself.
If you don't hear back within 3 weeks of the closing date.. They probably hired someone else

Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM

66 posts, read 91,171 times
Keep trying. I know if a lady who applied for an admin position in the university and the process took months. She interviewed and was then told the position was closed due to budget, then weeks later, they called her with an offer.

My experience- I also applied to many positions with no luck. Finally, I got a call, did manager & peer interviews the next day & was made an offer that day. This was after almost 6 months of applying to jobs.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Looking for a job is tough even in a good market. You have to anticipate that at least hundreds of others are applying. Don't get discouraged -- keep plugging away. I would follow up with a phone call or e-mail if you can get a contact name. You might get someone that can give you some more insight. It never hurts to try.

Good Luck and don't get discouraged. That is often the biggest wall to finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area