Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 03:51 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Which one is the new hospital? The big gray one? I can't get "good-looking" out of that one no matter how I look at it. It looks like it was meant to be a bland backdrop for the other mess around it. That whole area does nothing for Charleston aesthetically IMO. It could have been as beautiful for a modern section as the historic district is for an old section. They missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Which one is the new hospital? The big gray one? I can't get "good-looking" out of that one no matter how I look at it. It looks like it was meant to be a bland backdrop for the other mess around it. That whole area does nothing for Charleston aesthetically IMO. It could have been as beautiful for a modern section as the historic district is for an old section. They missed.
That's because if you want something to pass in Charleston it has to be boring and bland. The Ashley River Tower (ART) at MUSC is one of the most modern buildings we have and it took a lot of pushing to get the city to accept it. The new Children and Women's Center will mirror the architectural design of ART.

Art is the large curved grey and glass building.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Not into that look as a prominent fixture.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Just back from a two week visit...one of the funniest things heard as we Americans toured a Medieval city......."It's pretty but boy do they let the buildings get run down."......We all have our own opinion as to where beauty lies.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Yep, a living historic city also needs new buildings as long as they blind in. And I think those hospitals will look great on the water front as well as the planned buildings going up on Lockwood and Spring Streets.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:46 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
I honestly feel like alot of people here are just picky, but I do have to pick on one building. I have to ask...who the heck ever approved this????:

If I could pick a building to demolish, this would be #1. Yes even above Jasper. Looks like a pink prison/Medieval castle.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I honestly feel like alot of people here are just picky, but I do have to pick on one building. I have to ask...who the heck ever approved this????:

If I could pick a building to demolish, this would be #1. Yes even above Jasper. Looks like a pink prison/Medieval castle.
Those are definitely prison windows or castle loopholes. It's just a matter of whether it was designed to keep the enemies inside or out. Lol.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Ahhh yes, Harborview Towers.. peeling stucco and all. It's an eyesore, but I believe MUSC is planning on offloading it in the West Edge development process. Not sure about the parking garage.

Now, where all the displaced IT, HR, Communications, Finance and other support staff will go is an unknown.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Yep. that's pretty bad. I remember when this was designed. I don't think the BAR had any say in this part of town at that time, but it's first inception had balconies around the front and sides on all floors. 10 story motel look. Crap if you ever saw it.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,954,991 times
The Beach Co released the new Sgt. Jasper plans
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area