Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 PM

268 posts, read 281,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Speaking of Red Robin, I dont understand how the Tanger area is getting built out non-stop, yet the two commercial lots in the Tanger parking lot still wont sell.
It's is very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:37 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
It's is very odd.
I imagine it's an issue with lack of parking. Tanger is already always packed throwing 2 more restaurants in the mix would be a bad idea. They need a garage over there.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM

105 posts, read 95,478 times
Quote:
I love seeing construction at every corner I turn, whether it be downtonwn, Mt P, or Summerville.
Anything that gives the area more urban appeal is an upgrade. Charleston just isn't built for the amount of people here. Either people to stop moving here (decay) or we need to grow our urban area (growth). I'm simplifying of course, but those are pretty much our options.

What I find hilarious is everyone is cool with a sprawling subdivision being built in Mt. P or Cainhoy where everyone would drive their car a long commute to work downtown but a condo building gets proposed near downtown where people would have to drive much less and could even bike or take the bus to work and everyone freaks out about traffic.

For all the emphasis on keeping Charleston a human size city we really like building stuff dependent on cars.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:05 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs9000 View Post
Anything that gives the area more urban appeal is an upgrade. Charleston just isn't built for the amount of people here. Either people to stop moving here (decay) or we need to grow our urban area (growth). I'm simplifying of course, but those are pretty much our options.

What I find hilarious is everyone is cool with a sprawling subdivision being built in Mt. P or Cainhoy where everyone would drive their car a long commute to work downtown but a condo building gets proposed near downtown where people would have to drive much less and could even bike or take the bus to work and everyone freaks out about traffic.

For all the emphasis on keeping Charleston a human size city we really like building stuff dependent on cars.
The only building i've seen heavy complaints about downtown is the jasper project which is because they like looking at an eyesore everyday i guess. Mt. Pleasant is where most of the nimbys focus their efforts. And even then it's mostly in the area between I-526 and the water.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:37 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Quote:
Like I said, I'm sorry you feel that way. I love seeing construction at every corner I turn, whether it be downtonwn, Mt P, or Summerville.
Again, people are flocking here for the charm and beauty. And it's being covered every day.

When everyone is done growing the area, I fear what will be left. I'm sure if many newcomers had their way, there'd be skyscrapers on the Battery.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs9000 View Post

Agreed and this is why I find proposed developments like Magnolia, Laurel Island and WestEdge much more appealing. So many smaller in-fill opportunities too.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 PM

268 posts, read 281,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
I imagine it's an issue with lack of parking. Tanger is already always packed throwing 2 more restaurants in the mix would be a bad idea. They need a garage over there.
That's my guess. Those gravel lots are pretty much parking lots all day.

Yes a parking garage would be huge out there, I doubt it's gonna happen though. Unless that "new downtown" area that was being proposed a few months ago goes thru, part of the development was parking garages.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Again, people are flocking here for the charm and beauty. And it's being covered every day.

When everyone is done growing the area, I fear what will be left. I'm sure if many newcomers had their way, there'd be skyscrapers on the Battery.
I havent noticed much loss in charm. I have noticed much needed rehab in some places. The last sentence is a joke.

To each his own. I like the growth, you dont, okay.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
If they can stomach a parking garage at the rear of Town Center in Mt P I imagine finagling one into Tanger will be much easier. North Charleston really does what it can to increase tax base and those retail areas pay the bills up there.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
I've never had a problem parking at Tanger outlets. Who knew?

Seriously sometimes I read stuff on these boards and think I live in a completely different city---lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area