Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 01:04 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,848,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know, thats what we need to fix.
A lot of road projects are slow because there's too many levels of government funding it. It's great to not have to shoulder interstate expansions 100% at the local level, however getting funding from the city, county, state, and Feds means that many more layers of bureaucracy. The Feds require years of environmental studies before most projects can move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,038,286 times
Courier Square, by Charleston standards, is a really big building. Not height-wise but a big footprint.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,924,255 times
I'm honestly surprised the Northwoods Sears is closing but the Citadel one is staying
Sears to close Northwoods Mall store in North Charleston | Business | postandcourier.com

Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,376,429 times
Yeah I'm surprised too that they dont go ahead and cut it. I guess they're not ready to get out of the Charleston market completely.

It'll be interesting to see what takes over. Columbiana lost Sears and Dave and Busters moved into part of the space I believe.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:00 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,924,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yeah I'm surprised too that they dont go ahead and cut it. I guess they're not ready to get out of the Charleston market completely.

It'll be interesting to see what takes over. Columbiana lost Sears and Dave and Busters moved into part of the space I believe.
I doubt D&B would be allowed considering the curfew. Maybe we'll finally get Cabella.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,376,429 times
I don't think D&B would go there anyway, I don't think it's central enough. Just saying Sears is definitely not gonna sit empty. One or a few stores will divide it up. Malls may be dead, but don't tell Northwoods that.

As for D&B, I think it'll come to Citadel once that gets redeveloped. If that takes too long then I could see Tanger.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,555,081 times
Do they own the ground at Northwoods? I think they may be holding onto the Citadel store because they figure the ground is worth holding onto. As I understand it, their property holdings are the most valuable thing Sears/Kmart has to offer anymore.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:48 AM

301 posts, read 247,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Do they own the ground at Northwoods? I think they may be holding onto the Citadel store because they figure the ground is worth holding onto. As I understand it, their property holdings are the most valuable thing Sears/Kmart has to offer anymore.
The Northwoods Sears is owned by Seritage, the REIT that Sears formed a few years ago. They terminated Sears' lease on the property. Presumably because they have a new tenant lined up. I've heard rumblings that new tenant is Burlington Coat Factory.

The Citadel Sears is owned by Sears corporate. And from what I understand, while it may not be doing well, they aren't willing to sell the property for a bargain. They seem to be quite proud of it...or they know it would be valuable for a redevelopment project.

I also hear the Citadel JCP which is slated to close this summer is in negotiations with a national company to sell their parcel, although it will be "nothing earth shattering", so I am reasonably sure we're not getting our Macy's or Nordstrom...I just have zero idea who it could be. Burlington is right down the street at Ashley Landing, and they typically don't own stores or operate on more than one floor.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:12 AM

3,856 posts, read 4,555,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
The Northwoods Sears is owned by Seritage, the REIT that Sears formed a few years ago. They terminated Sears' lease on the property. Presumably because they have a new tenant lined up. I've heard rumblings that new tenant is Burlington Coat Factory.

The Citadel Sears is owned by Sears corporate. And from what I understand, while it may not be doing well, they aren't willing to sell the property for a bargain. They seem to be quite proud of it...or they know it would be valuable for a redevelopment project.

I also hear the Citadel JCP which is slated to close this summer is in negotiations with a national company to sell their parcel, although it will be "nothing earth shattering", so I am reasonably sure we're not getting our Macy's or Nordstrom...I just have zero idea who it could be. Burlington is right down the street at Ashley Landing, and they typically don't own stores or operate on more than one floor.
So Sears does recognize the value of their citadel parcel. I'm a little surprised that JCP is choosing this time to vacate there. It seems on the cusp of a turnaround and I'm sure they must recognize that.

I wouldn't want to see Burlington in there. Mainly based on my experience in their West Ashley store, I think of them as a sort of "seedy" establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area