Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
I don't think that store was underperforming. I think someone made JCP an offer they couldn't refuse. No idea who. This is just speculation on may part...

I know the husband of one of the operations managers. They closed it because it met the criteria for whatever percentage of stores they are cutting. It was not a one location decision. I'm not sure if it was based on total sales numbers, profits, projected growth or some other factor. But it was not a real estate decision. They offered some of the folks a choice between a severance package and being transferred to other location that would remain open- North Charleston and Myrtle Beach were the two mentioned.

And I'll weigh in on Cheesecake Factory- I really do not see the need. I've been two or three times and basically left sick from the volume of food I consumed. And I am not a dainty eater. I really did not find the food all that special. I'd say Atlanta Bread's cheesecake is as good. Kaminskis, Saffron, the dessert bar in Avondale and a couple of local bakeries all have good desserts. If they really want a local location I think Tanger would actually be a good spot for one since its pretty much the center of the metro area with access to the two biggest highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:42 PM

310 posts, read 258,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I know the husband of one of the operations managers. They closed it because it met the criteria for whatever percentage of stores they are cutting. It was not a one location decision. I'm not sure if it was based on total sales numbers, profits, projected growth or some other factor. But it was not a real estate decision. They offered some of the folks a choice between a severance package and being transferred to other location that would remain open- North Charleston and Myrtle Beach were the two mentioned.
That really surprises me. But I will admit my speculation may be very very wrong. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:51 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Took 'em long enough
CARTA has final $2 million to complete new train and bus station in North Charleston | News | postandcourier.com

Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Yeah, just too bad it's not at the Montague Ave. site.
The present site is bad news, to far from the airport not next to the intrastate and a smaller site.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:48 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
That is a horrible location. Not exactly the best tourist welcome to the city for train riders.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
That picture of the current station looks worse than what I saw in former Soviet client states. Yikes.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times

Warm fuzzy, huh? Especially the barbed wire.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:41 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,865,834 times
It really makes more above to put it near the airport.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Ehhhhh the location they have currently is as close as they can really get. The location that they were looking at using just doesn't have enough space for an amtrak station.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:41 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Ehhhhh the location they have currently is as close as they can really get. The location that they were looking at using just doesn't have enough space for an amtrak station.
Not only does the Montague site have more space, it's next to I-526.
Only problem was that they were going to have to build a spur, and space to do it was going to be a problem. But hey, get the money and things can be done. After all this station and site would be there for years to come so I think it would be worth it to anti up the dough.
The pluses:
1. On I-526
2. Larger site
3. Close to airport
4. More attractive area
5. Retaining pond with fountain has already been built on site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area