Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2022, 03:11 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Link is not working for me either I guess the article is about a new apartment complex planned for Cainhoy.

Another apartment complex is being proposed for 1142 Morrison Drive. 7 floors, 424 units.

Also, a cool looking pump station/park is being proposed for 900 King St.

Both of these projects go before the BAR on 3/23.

https://charleston-sc.gov/AgendaCent..._03232022-7324
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 09:09 PM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
(Originally posted in the wrong thread. Oops.)

West Ashley retail rumor dump. It seems like things are starting to pick back up again:

I'm hearing rumblings again that Bessinger's on Savannah Highway will be closing. I know the owners have been wanting to retire for awhile and that their clientele and business have steadily been tapering off. There was a rumor pre-pandemic that Trader Joe's had been eyeing this site for a new store. Not sure whether that's still on the table as I've heard that Trader Joe's has slowed the opening of new stores.

Citadel Mall Redevelopment is still going to happen. They are making verrrrrry slow but steady progress in creating a drainage plan for the property. I don't know of an estimated timeframe. I can say that the future of the mall is not likely to be exclusively retail. Last I heard, the anchor stores were meeting expectations.

The Limehouse property at the corner of Savannah Highway and Wappoo Rd. is working on a land swap and annexation deal with the City. The entrance to the Bikeway is owned by the City. The rest of the property is in the county. There are talks happening about relocating the Bikeway entrance to reconfigure the property, but I wouldn't say that a redevelopment is imminent at this point.

Doscher's will be closing this summer. It appears they will be demolishing it and replacing it with a strip center. Tenants include: Hand and Stone spa, Another Broken Egg cafe (with a patio), a relocated Hollywood Feed, Sunshine Liquor, Pacific Dental, and Nikita Hair Salon. Part of this redevelopment includes demolishing Berryl and Flynn and replacing that with more shops. Other announcements are forthcoming.

Long term, there's talk of a new Publix near West Ashley Circle. This would be in addition to the Publix near Bees Ferry and Savannah Highway.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:15 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Looks like they’re starting construction on widening Glenn McConnell.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Looks like they’re starting construction on widening Glenn McConnell.
Way over due; this has been in the making for seven years.
Wonder if street lights will be added when complete. I've complained about this for years. The mayor told me he hadn't noticed, traffic and transportation said they didn't have the money, yet Bees Ferry is blinding.
actually, the barrels that are in place right now for construction maybe better than street lights. Maybe we can ask them to remain permanently.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:27 AM

Looks like new construction projects have slowed a bit with the high cost of everything now, but saw where there is a proposed apartment building planned for the old site where Moluf's used to be on Easy Bay Street. It covers most of the block between East Bay, Charlotte, Washington and Chapel Streets,

Old 06-06-2022, 07:21 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Also, a 50-room boutique hotel is proposed to replace Scotchman at State and Cumberland. So, that corner will match up with the corner of the proposed building directly across the street, the way buildings in a city are supposed to relate to each other. A bar open to the public will be included on the ground floor.

Old 06-10-2022, 03:22 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
An Atlanta developer has inked a deal for an early 2024 start state for a project at Magnolia.

“‘a game-changer for Charleston’” - he said

‘“Having completed the physical environmental remediation of the site in 2021,…’”

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...1cef2ea6f.html

Last edited by Charlestondata; 06-10-2022 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-23-2022, 07:47 AM

Joseph Floyd Manor to be torn down while new affordable apartments are being built one block away on Meeting Street and Morrison Drive. So this was probably planned ahead won't you think?

Old 06-23-2022, 11:40 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
(Originally posted in the wrong thread. Oops.)
I'm hearing rumblings again that Bessinger's on Savannah Highway will be closing. I know the owners have been wanting to retire for awhile and that their clientele and business have steadily been tapering off. There was a rumor pre-pandemic that Trader Joe's had been eyeing this site for a new store. Not sure whether that's still on the table as I've heard that Trader Joe's has slowed the opening of new stores.

Citadel Mall Redevelopment is still going to happen. They are making verrrrrry slow but steady progress in creating a drainage plan for the property. I don't know of an estimated timeframe. I can say that the future of the mall is not likely to be exclusively retail. Last I heard, the anchor stores were meeting expectations.
I'm shocked anything retail at Citadel Mall is doing well aside from Target. Dillards seems OK but the Belk has less items than the typical small town Belk you see from one end of SC to other. Is Sears officially McBride's studios now?

Bessinger's has been on a decline. I actually drive the extra 5 minutes to Melvin's on James Island.

Word is someone is trying to shop the entire Ryans/Foodlion/strip mall site adjacent to Avondale. I thought they were proceeding with the apartment building in place of Ryans but that must have cooled.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:21 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Joseph Floyd Manor to be torn down while new affordable apartments are being built one block away on Meeting Street and Morrison Drive. So this was probably planned ahead won't you think?
1. Plan to immediately tear down project, and rebuild nicer, newer project "in the future."
2. Move poor people out, relocate them to some other city.
3. Tear down project.
4. Declare that for some reason they're unable to build the new housing in that location.
5. Sell land to developers.
6. If anyone complains, shrug shoulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area