Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

There is a Food Lion further up the Peninsula. I'm not really sure something the size of a grocery store will fit on that site & still allow room for other uses. We have gotten so used to large stores that I doubt people would use a smaller store with the resulting limited selections. Right now their is a Harris Teeter and a Publix within 5 minutes of that site give or take traffic.

One funny thing about Charleston is that so few restaurants have a view of the water & that site has the potential for that if the restaurant were slightly elevated. In the end I imagine parking counts will play an inordinate part of what gets proposed for the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,210 times
"The city, Wednesday at a meeting at the International Longshoremen’s Association Local 1422 unveiled a plan to create a special zoning district for a portion of the upper eastern side of the peninsula. The district would allow property owners to build taller buildings and denser developments in exchange for them including community amenities, such as affordable housing, stormwater improvements and parks and plazas."

Here comes the high rises.....

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...y-improvements

Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
"The city, Wednesday at a meeting at the International Longshoremen’s Association Local 1422 unveiled a plan to create a special zoning district for a portion of the upper eastern side of the peninsula. The district would allow property owners to build taller buildings and denser developments in exchange for them including community amenities, such as affordable housing, stormwater improvements and parks and plazas."

City’s upper peninsula plan: Developers could build higher if they make community improvements - Post and Courier
Still prolly gonna take 15 20 years before they even think about building something there

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Still prolly gonna take 15 20 years before they even think about building something there
Based on how fast things are pushing north, it wouldn't surprise me if something gets drafted this summer and they start building next fall. The planning commission is pushing for dense urban living, I just hope they can add some more retail to the area. (Ex: Electronics store: Best Buy, discount clothing store: Ross)

Both of those types of stores are needed for downtown and would benefit residents living in that area + the students.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Those types of stores are typical of suburban areas not downtown urban areas though.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
There is a Food Lion further up the Peninsula. I'm not really sure something the size of a grocery store will fit on that site & still allow room for other uses. We have gotten so used to large stores that I doubt people would use a smaller store with the resulting limited selections. Right now their is a Harris Teeter and a Publix within 5 minutes of that site give or take traffic.

One funny thing about Charleston is that so few restaurants have a view of the water & that site has the potential for that if the restaurant were slightly elevated. In the end I imagine parking counts will play an inordinate part of what gets proposed for the site.

Looking at Google Maps, I think a Publix or something could fit. Maybe something a little smaller, but grocery would kill in that area, and I know theres Publix and HT right across the water, but the drawing point here is: you dont need your car.

Thats a good idea about the restaurant though. Like how Atlanta how a restaurant in their Westin, over 700 feet high. The view is AMAZING. Obviously Charleston sont be getting that high, 150 feet is probably even too high for some of you people, but it'd be nice to high a restaurnat at thhe top with a 360 view, thatd make mad money.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Based on how fast things are pushing north, it wouldn't surprise me if something gets drafted this summer and they start building next fall. The planning commission is pushing for dense urban living, I just hope they can add some more retail to the area. (Ex: Electronics store: Best Buy, discount clothing store: Ross)

Both of those types of stores are needed for downtown and would benefit residents living in that area + the students.
IMO Best Buy would never come downtown. Something like City Target would work though, or Walmart Market. But if big box were to come downtown, I think Horizon would be where theyd go, all clustered in one spot.

Another option would be that project on the neck with the old, polluted open land. After they clean up the pollution they should be able to start building and big box could fit there, but thats a ways away and the area imo doesnt have the demographics. Downtown does need more retail though, I just dont see where. And I could see alot of people whining and complaining.

Edit: I read the article and saw Milford Street is apart of that "old, polluted, open land." Man, that area is such a blight, I'm so glad the city is trying to improve it for everyone, and I'm glad theyre keeping residents in mind. Retail definitely could fit there. I don't care about building height, it's not like Charleston is going to follow the path of Charlotte and Atlanta, but having some moderately tall buildings would be nice. Don't see the problem, 10 stories isnt even skyscraper worthy, and this isn't the historic part of the peninsula, its the outer unhistoric industrial park, don't see the issue. Hope this all gets fast tracked. It's not a prime area now, but could quickly become one.

On another note, they HAVE to fix I-26. I'm not exactly sure how you add another lane to an overpass, but that part of I-26 is terrible and needs it. The exits are terrible and too old too. I think theyre rebuilding exit 218, but if this "Charleston will have 200,000 people in 15 years etc" then they have to do something. The neck/peninsula part of 26 is one of the most poorly maintained parts in the state.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 02-04-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 08:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Looking at Google Maps, I think a Publix or something could fit. Maybe something a little smaller, but grocery would kill in that area, and I know theres Publix and HT right across the water, but the drawing point here is: you dont need your car.

Thats a good idea about the restaurant though. Like how Atlanta how a restaurant in their Westin, over 700 feet high. The view is AMAZING. Obviously Charleston sont be getting that high, 150 feet is probably even too high for some of you people, but it'd be nice to high a restaurnat at thhe top with a 360 view, thatd make mad money.
Isn't the Top Floor of the Holiday Inn across the river a restaurant? Mind you there is no chance that The Beach Company would tear down the apartments to put in a grocery store......

Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:

City’s upper peninsula plan: Developers could build higher if they make community improvements - Post and Courier
60-70k in 15 years seem like extremely conservative estimates..... Hell the Peninsula alone is expected to have what 60k by the early 2020's?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Isn't the Top Floor of the Holiday Inn across the river a restaurant? Mind you there is no chance that The Beach Company would tear down the apartments to put in a grocery store......
I was saying as apart of the development...they could do something sort of like Greenville's McBee Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
60-70k in 15 years seem like extremely conservative estimates..... Hell the Peninsula alone is expected to have what 60k by the early 2020's?
Agreed. That article said the cities population is now 134,000. That's an increase of 7,000 over last years estimates. And that's just for Charleston proper. If it stays flat lined, that's 21,000 in just 3 years, but I see growth getting faster not flat lining.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 02-04-2015 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area