Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 03:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times

Advertisements

I vote Charleston. I live in Charleston.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
I vote Charleston. I live in Charleston.
+1.

You gotta be proud of where you live. At least that's how I view things.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:22 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftaway123 View Post
While both are Southern and historical they have very different personalities.

Charleston is preppy artsy and more conservative.

Savannah is hippie artsy and more liberal.

Appreciate that there are more indie stores than chains in their downtown
than ours. But that will change as the rents rise.

Our beaches,dining,scenery is better no contest.

Also wish we had more Savannahs funkiness in our core.

We have a "bigger city" vibe which I like but could see myself
living happily in Savannah.
That's actually a very fair assessment.

When mrs soulsea and I were looking for a place to move we considered both. The only thing I would add is that although both towns (neither is big enough to really be considered a city) are empirically about the same size population wise, Savannah felt a lot smaller to us. That's because the Charleston metro area is about twice the size of that of Savannah even though the town itself is lightly less populated. For whatever it's worth it also felt a lot less safe to us, and we were also told this by several people who are familiar with both towns. Please do not take these comments as fact, they are simply our impressions.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
This would be impossible for me to decide! Having moved to SC from WI, I am enamored of both Charleston and Savannah. They're both incredible cities. Hey, way to be wishy washy, huh? I seriously couldn't choose one over the other at this point. Maybe after I visit them both a few hundred more times.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
For me it's beaches and restaurants, that's two biggies that Charleston has the advantage with. Although, my favorite burger joint is in Savannah, B&D Burgers. Oh NO! Now I'm craving B&D, grrrr, I'll be back, gotta drive to Savannah real quick...

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 04-03-2014 at 05:14 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'll be back, gotta drive to Savannah real quick...
That's really the key here ... they are close enough to each other that a person can pick the one that moves them the most to live in, and still enjoy the other sporadically and with relative ease.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:12 PM

The Twin Sisters!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 20,870 times
Although Charleston may be a bit more grand, Savannah is where my heart is, and I had some of the happiest moments of my life there. It has a love of eccentricity and a debauched charm all its own. I prefer it, although logically I don't know why-- once it gets into your blood, good luck living anywhere else ( I have been trying for a while, but it is hard!)

I lived in Savannah for quite a few years, and also had the opportunity to work in Charleston During the week (and go back to Savannah on the weekends) for several months. I was lucky enough to stay on the peninsula in Charleston, and I have lived in the historic district , Victorian district, and near Thunderbolt in Savannah.

I think what others have said is true-- Savannah is "funkier" and also a bit more warm and fuzzy-- although I may be biased. There is a small town feel. Both cities have historic districts that are fantastically pedestrian friendly. As a woman who has enjoyed many an evening walk, I have to admit that the historic district of Charleston felt much safer than comparable areas of Savannah. Charleston is not only an older city, but that its preservation efforts began much earlier...And it shows. There is also a natural isolation of the historic district on 3 sides, being on the peninsula, whereas Savannah's is directly bordered by struggling neighborhoods. I think in 10 or so years, Savannah will be a bit more upscale, and more similar to Charleston, for good or ill.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM

S.C.A.D. certainly adds to Savannah's downtown funkiness!

Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 AM

259 posts, read 454,177 times
^ Beat me to the SCAD mention!

Having a prominent art school with a large footprint in their core has done wonders there. Its close
to RISDs rep nationally.

I grew up nearby on Hilton Head in the 90s and svh and scad sure has come a long way since then!

Broughton St was boarded up tumbleweed territory for yrs, scad radicals were bombing campus in protest.

These days Broughton is gaining on King and SCAD gets celeb designer visits.

+ they have a Marc by Marc Jacobs thx to SCAD.

Coffeehouse habitue here and while I love our scene, still jealous of svh stronger cafe society.

Sentient Bean,Foxy Loxy,Gallery Espresso etc all offer plentiful outside options.

I love Kudu but they have the only big courtyard downtown, and when they get packed other options
are limited.

Happy to report that Kudu is expanding their outside space this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area