Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times

Advertisements

I think Charleston is the greatest city in the world! I'm basing this on many personal factors, Savannah, to me comes in around 10th. They are not quite the same, although very comparable in the historical districts, when relocating to one or the other, I think it's a no-brainer which one offers more, it's Charleston.

My #2 city FIY, if you've never been, put it on the bucket list... Austin, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 PM

26 posts, read 107,990 times
Talking Great Comparison of both cities

After living in Savannah for the past 3 years this time (5 years total), and now living in Charleston, I could not agree more with the fair comparison of both cities. This thread has been a pleasure to read!

Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
3 reasons why

Charleston - Voted Top City in US 2013 - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 02:08 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveLovedtheStars View Post
Charleston's preservation efforts began much earlier...And it shows. There is also a natural isolation of the historic district on 3 sides, being on the peninsula, whereas Savannah's is directly bordered by struggling neighborhoods. I think in 10 or so years, Savannah will be a bit more upscale, and more similar to Charleston, for good or ill.
Actually, Charleston's preservation efforts are almost a century older (right after the Civil War). Savannah's really didn't start till the 1950s. That's quite a head start for Charleston, and credit is due to Savannah for becoming more of a tourist "rival" in a relatively short period. I grew up in Savannah, so my bias is assured, but Charleston is a great town and I love it. Yes, Savannah's struggling neighborhoods are gentrifying because rents downtown are skyrocketing, even in the (for me) rather unsafe Victorian District. Once Savannah's Broughton Street, Canal District and East River Street renewals (that's three) are completed, Charleston might actually find itself eclipsed by Savannah as a tourist magnet. Time will tell.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM

72 posts, read 76,592 times
It seems to me that Savannah finds itself a setting in movies more often than Charleston. It seems to have more of a New Orleans type of lore about it than Charleston does.

It also appeared to have more trees in the downtown area. Those squares in Savannah are interesting, don't think Charleston has anyting like that.

I went to Savnnah for St. Patricks day back in 1998 and I was passed by a taxi on a one way street....he clipped the front of my car as he got in front of me. He then stopped, checked out the damaged on his car, then jumped back into his taxi and took off without talking to me about the damage on my car. lol

Old 04-06-2014, 02:54 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Actually, Charleston's preservation efforts are almost a century older (right after the Civil War). Savannah's really didn't start till the 1950s. That's quite a head start for Charleston, and credit is due to Savannah for becoming more of a tourist "rival" in a relatively short period. I grew up in Savannah, so my bias is assured, but Charleston is a great town and I love it. Yes, Savannah's struggling neighborhoods are gentrifying because rents downtown are skyrocketing, even in the (for me) rather unsafe Victorian District. Once Savannah's Broughton Street, Canal District and East River Street renewals (that's three) are completed, Charleston might actually find itself eclipsed by Savannah as a tourist magnet. Time will tell.
I know a few contactors in Savannah that are doing their part to revitalize the city. Sure it seems that 85% of "Downtown" Savannah is being rebuilt to house SCAD students, but still, in the past 20 years, there have been some major improvements to their bustling downtown areas. I just wish they could scrap the St. Patty's fiasco. It's a black eye for Savannah. Last few times I went, I saw nothing but alcohol poisoning and fist fights. It was terrible. Something you could never take a family to... If I lived there, I would petition the local government to really crack down on the alcohol consumption that takes places during that holiday.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Once Savannah's Broughton Street, Canal District and East River Street renewals (that's three) are completed, Charleston might actually find itself eclipsed by Savannah as a tourist magnet. Time will tell.
That's if Charleston stands still--which it's not. Upper King is seeing a ton of investment, including massive developments like Midtown and Courier Square. There's also the Horizon District that's a game-changer as well. I think over time we'll see the same trends in place pick up speed, namely Savannah attracting more tourists while Charleston sees a greater financial impact from tourism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I know a few contactors in Savannah that are doing their part to revitalize the city. Sure it seems that 85% of "Downtown" Savannah is being rebuilt to house SCAD students, but still, in the past 20 years, there have been some major improvements to their bustling downtown areas. I just wish they could scrap the St. Patty's fiasco. It's a black eye for Savannah. Last few times I went, I saw nothing but alcohol poisoning and fist fights. It was terrible. Something you could never take a family to... If I lived there, I would petition the local government to really crack down on the alcohol consumption that takes places during that holiday.
St. Patrick's Day is Savannah's signature event, akin to Charleston's Spoleto festival. No way in the world it's going anywhere.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I think Charleston is the greatest city in the world! I'm basing this on many personal factors, Savannah, to me comes in around 10th. They are not quite the same, although very comparable in the historical districts, when relocating to one or the other, I think it's a no-brainer which one offers more, it's Charleston.

My #2 city FIY, if you've never been, put it on the bucket list... Austin, TX.
Austin is awesome...the only city in Texas worthwhile...

Portland, OR is one of my favorite cities too...actually in larger scales, I look at the difference between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR to be similar to the differences between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA...Savannah is definitely more funky as is Portland...Charleston has the better architecture, and restaurant scene (as does Seattle, except Portland of course has many more microbreweries)...Seattle is on the open water (Puget Sound) like Charleston is (Charleston Harbor)...Portland is on a river (Columbia and Willamette) just like Savannah is (Savannah).

I do like Charleston better because of the better beaches, restaurants, and seemingly more diverse economy. I dont' think it should really mean much if Savannah surpasses Charleston in tourism...because first off, it's not like Charleston's going to start losing tourists and lets face it, tourism related jobs are low wage jobs...I'd rather see Charleston keep diversifying and bring higher paying jobs in.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's if Charleston stands still--which it's not. Upper King is seeing a ton of investment, including massive developments like Midtown and Courier Square. There's also the Horizon District that's a game-changer as well. I think over time we'll see the same trends in place pick up speed, namely Savannah attracting more tourists while Charleston sees a greater financial impact from tourism.

St. Patrick's Day is Savannah's signature event, akin to Charleston's Spoleto festival. No way in the world it's going anywhere.

I'd compare it more to Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
I live in Charleston, visit Savannah. Its crazy just how similar, yet different, they are.

Charleston is right on the ocean for one, while Savannah is a bit more inland.

Savannah has a much more laid back downtown scene, which fits me better. Charleston's downtown can be a bit on the uppity side. Not in a bad way, just different. I'd feel 100% comfortable going most anywhere in Savannah on a Friday night in jeans and a tee. In Charleston, I'd have to rule out half the places for lack of proper dress.

Savannah's vibe is cool. Almost a spooky feel at night, like I'm just waiting to see pirate ghosts walking down River Street haha! Charlestons is also great, just different. Hard to describe.

Savannah feels more compartmental downtown. The squares and each part of the downtown felt unique. Like you can carve out your own little world, unseen by the rest of downtown.

Charleston feels like you're in it with everyone else on the peninsula. Come one come all, and that too is great.

Truly like siblings. So much alike, but so different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area