Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 PM

37 posts, read 81,042 times

Advertisements

Yep, I meant Crawford Plantation. Haha. I'm a newbie! Anywhere off Patriot Blvd., Palmetto Commerce Pkwy, Westcott Blvd. There is shopping, parks, schools, golf course, rec. Centers, walking, jogging, biking path. Traffic isn't horrible. I love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
We are a family moving from Asheville, NC to Charleston. We want to trade these mountains for beaches! We will be relocating our carpet and upholstery cleaning and restoration business and I have some other work-from-home things going. From what I have read so far, it seems John's Island might be where we should look. I know nothing about the school districts there, and that is a huge deciding factor for us. Thanks!

1. BudgetLooking to rent until we are sure where we want to buy, so no more than $1,200 a month we hope.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Preferably a home, but townhome would work, too.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) We will be bringing our carpet, upholstery cleaning and restoration business with us.
4. Children(public school vs. private) 2 kids- one will be in Kindergarten next year and 1 infant
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) Would like to be as close to the coast as possible- no more than a 30 minute drive. Prefer suburban over rural.
6. Amenities preferred or must-haves
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood We'd like to be around other families with children.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slear View Post
We are a family moving from Asheville, NC to Charleston. We want to trade these mountains for beaches! We will be relocating our carpet and upholstery cleaning and restoration business and I have some other work-from-home things going. From what I have read so far, it seems John's Island might be where we should look. I know nothing about the school districts there, and that is a huge deciding factor for us. Thanks!

1. BudgetLooking to rent until we are sure where we want to buy, so no more than $1,200 a month we hope.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) We will be bringing our carpet, upholstery cleaning and restoration business with us.
4. Children(public school vs. private) 2 kids- one will be in Kindergarten next year and 1 infant
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural) Would like to be as close to the coast as possible- no more than a 30 minute drive. Prefer suburban over rural.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood We'd like to be around other families with children.
First off congrats on your move, Craigslist will become your new best friend as they generally have the best selection for rentals around here. Also, try Apartment Rentals | Apartments for rent | Homes for sale

I would think you'd want to focus around James Island and West Ashley for that $1200 price range with still wanting to be close to the beach. You could probably find some West Ashley condos for $1200 per month and at least 3 bed rooms. Try looking at the Heron Reserve. If you could get by with only 2 bedrooms I would say take a look at Tanner Plantation as there's a couple of homes there in your price range and Tanner is close to everything.

Another idea is to google property management companies, there's plenty of them in town and they specialize in rentals.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,598,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slear View Post

If you're firm on the 30 minutes to the beach parameter, then West Ashley, James Island or Johns Island near Kiawah is about your only option that will still hit the $1200 mark. James Island would be tough on that budget but maybe not impossible and it will be closest to the beach. Most of James Island is suburban. What size house are you looking for?

Look on GreatSchools.org for ratings on schools. You'll see that James Island has some highly rated schools. As a Realtor, I can't say much more than that.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstngChc210 View Post
I just accepted a job promotion and eventually will be relocating to the Charleston, Sc area. My husband and I currently live in Sumter, SC and have a 10 month old daughter. We want to buy a house, but need to sell the one we have here in Sumter first. I really would like to just go ahead and buy in Charleston instead of renting (we rented for a year and hated it, would prefer our money to go towards something we can call our own). Our budget really can't be over 900 a month and am wondering where I should try and go. Looks like Summerville seems to have the cheaper houses and we aren't all that concerned with being near the beach or downtown. I will be working in N. Charleston and just want to live comfortably like we do here. I hope someone can give me some insight. I am very nervous about this move and afraid we won't be able to afford it :/
With rents as high as they are, it only makes sense to buy a home if you can. Depending on your down payment capability, I'm guessing you might be able to afford a $150,000 house? (a lot depends on whether you'll need pmi, flood insurance, etc) You can find that in the previously mentioned communities and more. You'll get more house for your money in Summerville, Goose Creek, North Charleston but you could also get closer in to things if a fixer-upper works for you.

If you need to move by a certain date due to your job, there is a type of loan called a "bridge loan" in which a lender will allow a loan to buy one house before the other sells with the stipulation that the other is sold with in a specific time frame (6 months or so). I'm not sure how easy it is to get a bridge loan with the new banking regulations but ask your lender about that. There is also some risk to this type of loan if the home doesn't sell within the allotted time frame but again, your lender can make that clear.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM

17 posts, read 28,548 times
Hi,

My husband and my family are looking to move to summerville as well. We reside in NJ and cannot wait to get out of it. He just visited there and really loves it. he also said that Ridgeville is beautiful as well for families which is right next door to summerville. Good luck to you.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,201 times
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, we actually looked at a house in Wescott Plantation yesterday and loved it! We will be looking at more houses in the coming weeks, I am thinking our budget is about $175K, but probably won't be able to go over that. We drove a round a lot of different areas yesterday and saw a lot of nice homes in nice neighborhoods. I def wanted a neighborhood that had access to community pool and playground for kids. I was told West Ashley is not a bad area as well, so we might look into that, but we are liking Summerville so far

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
Quote:
I just accepted a job promotion and eventually will be relocating to the Charleston, Sc area. My husband and I currently live in Sumter, SC and have a 10 month old daughter. We want to buy a house, but need to sell the one we have here in Sumter first. I really would like to just go ahead and buy in Charleston instead of renting (we rented for a year and hated it, would prefer our money to go towards something we can call our own). Our budget really can't be over 900 a month and am wondering where I should try and go. Looks like Summerville seems to have the cheaper houses and we aren't all that concerned with being near the beach or downtown. I will be working in N. Charleston and just want to live comfortably like we do here. I hope someone can give me some insight. I am very nervous about this move and afraid we won't be able to afford it :/
In your price range and working in N Charleston, I would say look at Tanner Hall area in Hanahan off North Rhett.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, we actually looked at a house in Wescott Plantation yesterday and loved it! We will be looking at more houses in the coming weeks, I am thinking our budget is about $175K, but probably won't be able to go over that. We drove a round a lot of different areas yesterday and saw a lot of nice homes in nice neighborhoods. I def wanted a neighborhood that had access to community pool and playground for kids. I was told West Ashley is not a bad area as well, so we might look into that, but we are liking Summerville so far
With a $175k budget you should have no problem finding a decent place in Summerville. Wescott is just one place to look and there are others that you would like as well. The amenities vary from community to community but a pool and playground aren't too hard to find.
Look through some of the posts to find opinions on the school districts in Summerville.

West Ashley is nice too but the newer construction out there is pricier than Summerville.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Hi and welcome to our wonderful Charelston thread!

For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Charleston Trident area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood

If anything else is important, please add to the list above.

I feel if we can keep this in one thread it will hopefully be a good resource for our Charleston relocation folks!

Talked to Yac, Hopefully he will make this a sticky so we can keep our little thread organized!

Ok, so my wife and I are relocating to Charleston. She accepted a position at MUSC and we are looking for a place to live. We would ideally like to buy a place as we have been renting for a while and want a place that we can call "our own"

1. Budget
- around $250k for buying a house, $1,500/month for rent

2. House/Condo/Townhome
- Prefereably a house, currently live in a townhome and want a yard for the dog

3. Employment
- wife is at MUSC, I can work from home for a certain amount of time, but I will be looking in Charleston for a financial type position.

4. Children
- None...yet

5. Suburban, Coastal, Urban
- my wife likes the idea of living near the water, I would lean more towards a suburban feel

6. Amenities
- I would love to have a fenced in yard for our dog.

7. Preferred Neighborhood
- This is where the help is needed. We like James Island because it is closer to where she works. I am ok with about anywhere as I don't mind driving to wherever I end up working. My biggest fear, I know these things are out there, is related to the likelihood spiders being a problem, snakes in the yard for the dog, and/or the rare possibility of a gator on the property.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: