Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdonovan2 View Post
I'm certain the winters will be much better than those we have here!! He will be working at the bulk mail plant in North Charleston, on Cross County Rd.

A couple properties have piqued my interest. Any input on the Mixon Community? 1150 Aruba Circle, James Island, Ashley Grove, Abberly Crossing, Daniels island? What is the significance of being inside of Mark Clark?
Park Circle area would probably be the most convenient to work and beaches. All three beaches would be less than 30min in normal traffic. I agree with Wise about the other locations including being wary of the Ashley Grove area. The Islands on James Island (Aruba Cir) is decent, I think. I have a friend who lived there and liked it. Closer to Folly but farther from work.

One thing about Park Circle, it's a nice hipster kind of place but you don't go too far out of it before you're in some not-so-nice areas. I'd drive around a bit and get a feel for it if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 AM

37 posts, read 81,044 times
Thanks Local Hero, and Wise Man. I really appreciate you all's input.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM

Another bit of advice needed, if you could continue to be so kind. I have not rented in over 30 years so I am totally unsure of how to budget and what service suppliers to use. Let's say we end up in west Ashley, North Charleston, Hanahan, Daniels Island or by chance Mt. Pleasant. I'm guessing each rental community will have their own policy on what, if any utilities are included in rent. Same for HOA fees? Is there room to negotiate monthly rent or fees or is it this is the rent for the unit you want, take it or leave it?

If we choose our own cable, internet and cell phone providers, do you have any recommendations? We currently have Sprint, Fiancé will not use Verizon ( I loved them), we have Direct TV or Dish? And some horrible internet company (Clear?).

Roughly how much might renter's insurance cost? Is it still just a matter of obtaining a policy to cover your own belongings? We are with State Farm here. Would you recommend using a State Farm there and bundling renter's, auto and any other insurance product we might need? I believe they have reciprocity and would give us credit for the time we have been loyal customers.

We are going to replace my vehicle as it is well over 160,000 miles and starting to need a lot of maintenance. Any input on buying here and transferring vs. Buying once we move down. How are license plates handled in South Carolina. Ohio abandoned the farce that was called echeck a few years ago. Does South Carolina have a vehicle emissions testing mandate?

With my health issues good Drs. are very important to me. We will need an Internist to manage general healthcare, a dentist, ophthalmologist, Cardiologist and sleep dr. And I may need a gastric surgeon, neurologist, urologist, and rheumatologist. Ugh! I hate the thought of finding all new Drs.! I have Humana Medicare Advantage Plan and he has the HMO the postal service offers. Is Humana Medicare widely accepted?

Any other advice on items I need to budget for as a renter? Or as a South Carolinian? Hope that's appropriate

Old 04-06-2014, 08:50 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
Another bit of advice needed, if you could continue to be so kind. I have not rented in over 30 years so I am totally unsure of how to budget and what service suppliers to use. Let's say we end up in west Ashley, North Charleston, Hanahan, Daniels Island or by chance Mt. Pleasant. I'm guessing each rental community will have their own policy on what, if any utilities are included in rent. Same for HOA fees? Is there room to negotiate monthly rent or fees or is it this is the rent for the unit you want, take it or leave it?

I've not seen any rental communities or individual landlords include HOA fees as a separate line item but it could happen. Utilities are always a possibility. You just need to make sure the terms of the rental are spelled out clearly and that you know what they are. As for negotiation, you can always try but the rental market is strong right now and landlords are less likely to want/need to negotiate.

If we choose our own cable, internet and cell phone providers, do you have any recommendations? We currently have Sprint, Fiancé will not use Verizon ( I loved them), we have Direct TV or Dish? And some horrible internet company (Clear?).

For cell phone I use Page Plus which is a prepaid that runs on the Verizon system. I don't know if there's a cheaper option but PP is way cheaper than Verizon, Sprint, etc. Kitty wireless is who I signed up with and if you just contact them directly it is the easiest way. I pay <$40 and have unlimited talk, text and 500mg of 3g data. Selectel is another prepaid that runs on Verizon and may be as good. I don't know them though. There has been earlier discussion on these boards on this subject too.For cable, I use Comcast and have a good experience with them. A lot of people don't. I only use high speed internet though. No tv so maybe that makes a difference.

Roughly how much might renter's insurance cost? Is it still just a matter of obtaining a policy to cover your own belongings? We are with State Farm here. Would you recommend using a State Farm there and bundling renter's, auto and any other insurance product we might need? I believe they have reciprocity and would give us credit for the time we have been loyal customers.

Shop around. I don't know renter's ins costs but any insurance should be shopped.

We are going to replace my vehicle as it is well over 160,000 miles and starting to need a lot of maintenance. Any input on buying here and transferring vs. Buying once we move down. How are license plates handled in South Carolina. Ohio abandoned the farce that was called echeck a few years ago. Does South Carolina have a vehicle emissions testing mandate?

I don't think it's hard to transfer title to SC but it's been a long time since I've done that. SC doesn't even have annual inspections...

With my health issues good Drs. are very important to me. We will need an Internist to manage general healthcare, a dentist, ophthalmologist, Cardiologist and sleep dr. And I may need a gastric surgeon, neurologist, urologist, and rheumatologist. Ugh! I hate the thought of finding all new Drs.! I have Humana Medicare Advantage Plan and he has the HMO the postal service offers. Is Humana Medicare widely accepted?

Maybe someone else who knows can chime in? Medical services are excellent down here but not sure about Humana.

Any other advice on items I need to budget for as a renter? Or as a South Carolinian? Hope that's appropriate

Heat bills will be lower than you're used to but AC higher.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks so much Local Hero. I do spend hours researching EVERYTHING, but you can never get info. Better than local consumers IMHO. Plus I have to get this whole house packed up, floors refinished, walls reprinted, bathrooms spruced up and then yard work to get it on the market. Very little advanced notice. I'm kind of overwhelmed and I wouldn't mind a couple hrs. Of sleep at night either (haha).

Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM

Or maybe I should re paint the walls huh?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Hehe! Just to chime in, our medical services will be on par with anywhere else in the nation. We have a great college here, where I go lots of times to save a dollar, in the MUSC. Being self employed and with no insurance really to speak of, I have found that letting college students with the help of their doctor instructor is a perfectly fine way to save a buck. They do a great job of teaching the future doctors of America down there.

As far as the areas you mentioned above as places to live, you won't have any trouble in any of those areas in finding medical attention to suit your needs.

As far as Humana goes, that's a question for Obama Care isn't it? May want to call their 1-800 number for advice on plans offered in SC?

Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM

One of the big reasons we chose South Carolina over Florida is because I just got to experience the poor healthcare Floridians ( namely my sister) receive. I don't think I'd let them touch me with a ten foot pole.

I live right down the street from an excellent hospital and The University of Cincinnati Medical Center is 20 mins. Away. I am a former nurse who gave excellent patient care under the direction of my instructors, so I am all about teaching hospitals. I also know you get the most conscientious care from a student who is trying to prove his or herself. Nothing like extra pampering by the students. I'm not sure about calling Obama, I think I'll just check in with Humana (haha).thank you so much for taking your valuable time to give these wonderful insights to a future neighbor.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
You're welcome, and welcome to the greatest city in the USA! As you get closer, keep in touch, we will be happy to guide you to questions you have that come up. It's my way of sharing how much I love my hometown. And everyone here on the forums will be happy to help.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:15 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,049 times
I'll chime in with MUSC's medical care. I go there and see several doctors, one of them being a neurologist. They are top notch and the best doctors I have ever seen in my life. If you choose to be seen there, you'll be very pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: