Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 59,424 times

Advertisements

Most of the postings on this forum are related to people moving here from other states. I will say that the CHS metro area is not as "southern" as other cities in SC. I moved to Greenville SC from NY and what a shock that was. I spent 8 years there and I grew an appreciation for the state.

I left NY when my company wanted me to help open a large office in Gville. I never loved NY but when you grow up there that is all you know. When I saw how beautiful Gville was I jumped on it. I embraced it and wanted to adapt. I didn't complain about bagels and pizza. I mean I didn't eat grits at first either but i really tried to become invested in the area. I volunteered and traveled the state and really wanted to get to know the area. If I had moved right to Mt. P first, I don't think I would have understood the culture here in SC.

Anyway, here is my topic. I see people coming here to Charleston from all over. Do you feel it's southern here in Charleston or is it just an escape from traffic and beach access you love?

There is so much to this beautiful state and I totally feel it's underrated but i feel people that move here from other areas are not involved in politics, schools, etc. do other transplants care about the SC infrastructure or just the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM

21 posts, read 63,048 times
It used to be what you call "southern". Before all the transplants showed up, that is.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
So what was "more Southern" about Greenville?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 PM

Just to clarify, I am not a hater of any kind. I have a vested interest in SC and I know if everyone that moved here took an interest in the state we could help change whatever is going on in Columbia.

Sorry but the government in this state is something else. We are always the lowest on every ranking that comes out. In NY, I always knew that people in Harlem, or Newburgh, or Rochester were poor, but do people in SC know about Marion county, or even N. Charleston? Does anyone care?

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It's the type of southern really, on the Peninsula you will find the old southern aristocracy while in Greenville you will find a more country climate.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
I'm Southern born and raised. I feel it's pretty Southern around here but then again, almost everyone we are friends with, etc are either natives or Southern born folks. I guess it's a matter of who you associate with and how you see something. Now, in all fairness, it's not like the very small town I grew up in Georgia because it's a lot bigger but I don't think it's a Southern or non-Southern difference for me but rather a more urban versus very rural thing.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

Greenville was like 90% local born and raised SC. Out here In Mt. P. One out of every 15 is from SC.

When I moved to Greenville in 05, I was the outsider. When I moved to Mt. P, I was too local.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM

882 posts, read 1,462,723 times
My step-brother is from NYC and has lived in the mountains in Erwin TN the last 20yrs. He thinks that people from Greenville (or anyone who lives closer than a mile away from his neighbors) are city slickers who fail to appreciate the true beauty of the South. I've heard many people from Charleston and Savannah refer to Atlanta with a similar sentiment. It's just the way relativity/perspective works.

The 'South' isn't just one thing ... beyond the surface lay many complex layers and subtleties making it the place it is, and like most of the world it is always changing.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Peninsular Charleston is very southern. Locals are mostly socially conservative, everywhere it's yes/no ma'am or sir, every get together I have been too there is fresh sweet tea and boiled peanuts, big sense of community to help eachother out.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
But you're an outsider the more you act like you're from another region. I say hello to whomever I can, have conversations with whomever I can, and let in cars I'd never dream of before (for example). No offense, but if you're an a**hole from Wherever, USA, then you're still an a**hole.

I am 100% against regionalism. There are those that judge based on where you are from and there are those that judge based on who you are. I kind of believe that most people judge you on who you are. If you want to seem like less of an outsider? My first instinct is to tell you to stop acting like an a**hole.

ALL Southerners I have met are wonderful folk. And this is my logical conclusion. We all have our quirks, but the thing that differentiates "those that live down here" and "those that live up there" is the fact that those that live down here actually stop and think of the other person by default. And I, for one, am much appreciative.

I haven't had the privilege to visit Greenville quite yet, but I feel I'm not far off on my assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area