Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:15 AM

3,837 posts, read 3,055,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Has anyone been around long enough to have been to a Charleston Rainbows game? lol, back when their stadium was down by the Citadel... Jeez that seems like forever ago.
I remember the Charleston Pirates that pre-date the Rainbows. That would be back in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM

59 posts, read 69,771 times
Awesome! Thanks everyone, this is just adding to my excitement!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,959,119 times
Never remember going to any Pirate's games, I was born in 72 so they were probably the Rainbows before I gained any interest in baseball. I never really went to many Rainbow's games. One of the last times I went, my friend and I were talking and he got creamed by a line drive right in the shin. You could hear the crunch and I was like, yup, that's it for my baseball games... Didn't go back for years, the Riverdogs have a really nice stadium and I love the way it's set up. Their management team does a wonderful job of keeping their customers happy as well. Very classy and family friendly place to enjoy a day!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM

3,837 posts, read 3,055,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Never remember going to any Pirate's games, I was born in 72 so they were probably the Rainbows before I gained any interest in baseball.
Here ya go - history of Charleston minor league baseball:

Charleston, South Carolina Minor League History - Baseball-Reference.com

Pirates final year was 1978. I do not remember the Charleston Patriots but I do now recall the Royals.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:38 AM

469 posts, read 888,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
the stingrays did have a much larger fan base in the past but that was when they were the only hockey team in the state of SC. Once teams were added in Florence, Greenville and Columbia (all of which have disappeared, although a different franchise in back in Greenville now) attendance began to fall off. Add to that a number of their rivals who used to draw big crowds (such as Charlotte and Hampton Roads) have moved or folded due to AHL teams moving into those markets and the fact that the ECHL has become more of a true developmental league with limits on the numbers of "veterans" that can play on a team (so you no longer have a core group of players who have played for the same team for a number of years like the Stingrays once had) and a number of fans have lost interest.

The Charlotte Checkers draws bigger crowds than ever, but you're right - the Hurricane affiliated AHL River Rats moved from Albany to Charlotte - took on the Checkers name and ran with it. The move made a lot of sense because now the Checkers is just down the road from the Hurricanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area