Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:33 PM

59 posts, read 69,948 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'm planning a move to Charleston from Boston, MA. I've posted on the Charleston boards a few times and everyone has been so helpful! Anyway, I know that Charleston does not have any professional major sports teams, so I'm just wondering what sports/teams people follow as a community? The one thing I know I'm going to miss about Boston is the camaraderie around our teams and how the entire city bands together when our teams are in playoffs and win championships. Do people get behind the minor league baseball and hockey teams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
Our Hockey team (Charleston Stingrays) are a Boston Bruins affiliate

I think IMO, College sports are bigger around here. Especially College football (Gamecock/ Tigers)

Last edited by Chs2014; 04-07-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,463 times
I'd say yes ... the local population DEFINITELY supports its minor league teams .... everyone always has fun at Riverdogs and Stingrays games

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,815 times
The RiverDogs are VERY popular. They average around 3,000-3,500 a game on weekdays, but for Thirsty Thursdays and weekend games they usually get north of 5,000. When A-Rod rehabbed here last year, they had almost 8,000 for two games.

The RiverDogs play at Riley Park in downtown Charleston. The Stingrays aren't as popular as the Dogs, but they still have their core of season ticket holders. They're a perennial winner, and have only missed the playoffs once in last 20 years.

The main college teams here in town are Citadel football and College of Charleston basketball. South Carolina plays about 1:45 north in Columbia, while Clemson is about 4 hours away.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:46 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
We've only been three times to the Riverdogs baseball games, but each time turn out was so-so. The big thing, as in most southern states, is college sports with football leading the way. If you're looking for camaraderie, pick either the Gamecocks or the Tigers... they'll be plenty of supporters on either side to hang with.

Aww shucks... GO GAMECOCKS (actually that's not what we say but the board filters won't let me drop the 'Game' part)

Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM

21 posts, read 63,065 times
It seems when the riverdogs were the Rainbows, and when the Stingrays were in their infancy the turnouts used to be larger, of course that was over 20 years ago. But yes college football is King down here. And while the majority pick sides between Clemson/Carolina, there are a good number of us UGA fans here as well, SIC EM DAWGS!!!!! Oh and we also have our fair share of obnoxious Pats fans that live down here that may make your transition a little easier hahahahah

Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM

243 posts, read 282,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothinToSeeHere View Post
It seems when the riverdogs were the Rainbows, and when the Stingrays were in their infancy the turnouts used to be larger, of course that was over 20 years ago. But yes college football is King down here. And while the majority pick sides between Clemson/Carolina, there are a good number of us UGA fans here as well, SIC EM DAWGS!!!!! Oh and we also have our fair share of obnoxious Pats fans that live down here that may make your transition a little easier hahahahah
the stingrays did have a much larger fan base in the past but that was when they were the only hockey team in the state of SC. Once teams were added in Florence, Greenville and Columbia (all of which have disappeared, although a different franchise in back in Greenville now) attendance began to fall off. Add to that a number of their rivals who used to draw big crowds (such as Charlotte and Hampton Roads) have moved or folded due to AHL teams moving into those markets and the fact that the ECHL has become more of a true developmental league with limits on the numbers of "veterans" that can play on a team (so you no longer have a core group of players who have played for the same team for a number of years like the Stingrays once had) and a number of fans have lost interest.

As far as the Riverdogs go, personally I have no interest in the "team" and likely won't as long as they are a Yankees affiliate. I may still go to a game from time to time but it will be just to watch some baseball, won't have any concern what so ever with the outcome.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Has anyone been around long enough to have been to a Charleston Rainbows game? lol, back when their stadium was down by the Citadel... Jeez that seems like forever ago.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,025 times
Alomar Bros were playing and how about the "Buyout nights" where tickets were bought up by places and people went to games for free lol I still have a hat somewhere in the garage

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 PM

243 posts, read 282,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Has anyone been around long enough to have been to a Charleston Rainbows game? lol, back when their stadium was down by the Citadel... Jeez that seems like forever ago.
I have, granted I was really young at the time but I remember spending a number of nights at College Park. While Riley Park certainly is nicer, it still isn't the same. It is a shame the way it is left as just a shell of what once was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area