Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM

27 posts, read 56,706 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

We are hoping to move to Summerville, Dorchester 2 schools, ideally next summer. However, we aren't going to pass up a job opportunity because that would just be dumb. We have 3 kids, 2 of which are in 4th grade now. Has anyone moved during the school year, from NY? What is the curriculum like? Changes? Ahead or behind?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 12:58 PM

37 posts, read 54,623 times
Very curious about this as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,294,797 times
I'm not personally sure about the curriculum changes but what I can share is the research on moving as it relates to the psych of children.

Research has shown that children changing schools during natural transitions to yield better results than those moving in unnatural transitions. Natural transitions are elementary school to middle school or middle school to high school. It's not a problem that is insurmountable, but please give extra care and attention to your children during unnatural transitions such as the one you describe. There are two major factors when it comes to poor outcomes for children: parental monitoring and social acceptance. Moving outside of a natural transition upsets the social acceptance variable and can be borderline traumatic. Think of it as you are erasing everything your child has done to develop an identity.

Again, it's not insurmountable, but PLEASE, give your child(ren) special care and attention around the transition.

- I studied child psych extensively in undergrad and graduate school and specialized in transition periods in graduate school.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,187 times
Please do your research, compare schools in DD2 to your childrens current school. Many schools in the DD2 are over crowded and currently either using Common Core Curriculum or considering it.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 PM

21 posts, read 28,183 times
I wouldn't move kids before the end of the school year. You didn't say who was up for getting the job, but, if it were possible, I'd have the person accepting the job go ahead and rent an apartment or something and the other parent stay with the kids until the end of the school year. It's hard to be a new kid at school, even with a new school year. But to start with 2 months left in the year? I just wouldn't.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:51 AM

27 posts, read 56,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrun View Post
Please do your research, compare schools in DD2 to your childrens current school. Many schools in the DD2 are over crowded and currently either using Common Core Curriculum or considering it.
We are trying to keep our move to the summer months. Here in NY CC is the curriculum and it basically sucks. I am not a fan by any means, and quite frankly, neither are their teachers. But, thy are doing good so I guess that's all that matters. Thank you everyone for the input.

Anyone on here from NY and had kids in school up here and moved south? Differences in education? CC was mentioned and I believe that is a federal program that states can adopt, right?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 AM

363 posts, read 436,356 times
CC is designed, for better or worse, to deliver basic core classes in common with all of the other, say, fourth grades who adopt it. So in theory, it could make transitions easier academically, if not socially. We moved around a lot when I was a child and moving in summer, from my experience, stunk. It only increased my social anxiety by forcing me to anticipate what my new school (my job as a kid) was going to be like, where I would fit in, who l was going to hang out with, etc. Until the new school year started. It might also be a lonely time for your kids. I think it might be better to be the new kids for a couple of months or a few weeks before school let out, just so they could meet some of the other kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: