Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Pink + Purple + Light Green = horrendous. That's like half their store. I'm talking about the combination, not the colors by themselves.
There's still a lot of "normal" patterns, mostly towards the back of the store. They would be smart to come up with a "locals" card, where you received 25% off or something like that, then I would be more enticed to shop there. Jos. Bank always has like 60% off of everything. Although this is just a perception (I still pay $80 for a shirt at Jos. Bank's but they tell you it's a $175 shirt and you're getting a deal lol) I still like the level of service at Jos. Banks. They cater to you, help you find items and select appropriate accessories. Dumas has a more hands off approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:16 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville is the largest city of the Upstate, a region of 1.3 million people (the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA). Of course it makes sense that it has so much more going for it in terms of retail.
Well obviously it makes sense. I didn't know that many people lived there. I highly doubt Myrtle Beach surpasses us in size but retailers may think to go there because of the tourists.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:31 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
I always liked Dumas but I admit I never bought suits there. I always bought sportswear and I thought the prices were fair. Not cheap, but fair for the quality.

Polo shirts. $10 at Walmart, $35 at Dumas, $60 at Lacoste

Old 04-10-2014, 06:36 AM

259 posts, read 454,177 times
There was much gnashing of teeth and
handwringing from the higher end when Saks on King shut down
years ago.

Gwynns is pretty much the only option for a primarily upscale dept store.

Although its kind of small for that designation.

I agree that our metro market has not reached the mass needed
for a big city mall.

In the future it will be a mixed use indoor/outdoor hybrid.

Citadel and Nwoods are relics of the past.

Both have acres of mostly empty parking that could be infilled and repurposed.

The former being in more dire need than the latter.

But they are both pretty sorry lookin.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:05 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Pink + Purple + Light Green = horrendous. That's like half their store. I'm talking about the combination, not the colors by themselves.
That's known as... spring. I have shirts in all those pastel colors and wear them during spring and summer with linen slacks and a light silk sport coat. I have a nice light blue sportcoat that does well with khaki slacks and a white shirt or a light green shirt and stone slacks. Dumas has much more vibrant colored Charleston style clothes than Jos..

These colors certainly don't make up half their store.. what a gross exaggeration. 90% of their store is traditional grey, blacks, browns, navy blue business suits.

Maybe it's not the store but your sense of style...

They have shirts on sale for $55 now... I tend to prefer the tailored fit Traveler series. Less extra material on the sides and they do a real good job of wash and wear without needing to send them to the cleaners. Since they come in exact sleeve lengths, I can get a much better fit for my 34 arm than a 34/35. Buy 2 for $99 and get free shipping.

JoS. A. Banks Clothiers - Tailored Fit Dress Shirts

If you know your measurements, you can try one of these online more 'custom' shops..

Blank Label | Men's Dress Shirts, Custom Dress Shirts, Tailored Shirts
Custom Suits, Men's Tailored Shirt, Bespoke & Custom Made Clothes By MyTailor.com
Custom Shirts, Tailored Shirts, Dress Shirts | Modern Tailor Custom Tailored Suits and Shirts

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go To Girl View Post
Does Charleston have Men's Warehouse? If anyone liked S&K, this store would be similar
Yeah there's a pretty big one over by Citadel Mall.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
VOMIT

Most of my dress shirts or work shirts are from JCPenney. I've shopped around and just been happier with the basic class that they have. But that was working at a particular place that ate that stuff up. Perhaps if I worked for a big Charleston name here, things would be different. Honestly, I'm more of a, wear shorts and flip flops to work if I can, kind of guy.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Honestly, I'm more of a, wear shorts and flip flops to work if I can, kind of guy.
Now that's a style I think we can all agree on.. well except maybe my CIO.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Well obviously it makes sense. I didn't know that many people lived there. I highly doubt Myrtle Beach surpasses us in size but retailers may think to go there because of the tourists.
Myrtle Beach is a little over half the size of Charleston but it gets almost three times as many tourists so that probably explains it.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,855 times
I am confused by this thread......outside of some very highend stores, what do you not have in Charleston that is wanted? Don't get me wrong, I like to see out of town shoppers in Charlotte, just saw an Ashley Hall car at Southpark, but I thought King St had a lot of retail that is more than adequate for Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area