Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,958,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Chains will always struggle in Charleston as the local restaurants bring a much higher quality product with plenty of diversity.

Eh...I believe local places struggle much more than chains...that's anywhere, including Charleston.

It's rare to see chains go under. Not so much with locally owned restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Belk isn't bad...I try to get linen pants and shorts and Belk had some last year. Hoping to find a place with a great selection of men's linen somewhere.
Billy Reid, Dumas, Ben Silver, Berlins, Glynns... even Steinmart

Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 AM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Eh...I believe local places struggle much more than chains...that's anywhere, including Charleston.

Good Ol' Alex's had amazing breakfast but waiting 2 hours for drinks when you are the only person in the restaurant is never fun. That was the one in Mt. Pleasant the Goose Creek one is decent.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Dining could be better, at least chain-wise. These are all chains but these are all restaurants that should be in Charleston considering the regions size, growth, and locations elsewhere in SC. I'd love to see these

Red Robin (Tanger), more Krispy Kreme (Rivers/Dtown), Cheddars, Melting Pot, Backyard Burgers, Cheesecake Factory (Dtown/MtP), TGI Fridays (Tanger), California Pizza Kitchen, Cheddars, Checkers, Dave and Busters (Tanger), Bojangles (near or in dtown), Fuddruckers (Tanger), Smokey Bones (Tanger/proximity to dtown), Boston Market, Margaritaville (dtown)

And downtown needs better options for us Cofc, Citadel, MUSC, and AI students. A Mcdonalds or something similar (with breakfast) would be nice downtown near CofC. Very cheap compared to Moes and 5 Fives.
McDonald's, Hardees, and Wendy's are all pretty close to MUSC and The Citadel. Bruegger's Bagels is out there too.

Downtown had a Margaritaville at one point, but it wasn't a bar or restaurant. It just sold souvenirs... kinda weird. It was the only Margaritaville I've ever seen without margaritas sold there (don't really understand this...). Charleston also had Fuddruckers many years ago when I was a kid. It was downtown but I don't remember where.

The only chain restaurant we don't have that I'd really go for is a Red Robin. I live in West Ashley and would love to see any of those restaurants open here, even if I'm not a big fan. Other people would like eating there .

Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post

Well that may be true to an extent. You tend not to see the demand at a chain restaurants that you see at the local alternatives. I question the ability for the local chain restaurants to return a profit. I believe the problem with locally owned restaurants is there are so many good ones that you may have a good meal there once, but may not be back again for a year or more as you're out trying all the other choices.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Quote:
Well that may be true to an extent. You tend not to see the demand at a chain restaurants that you see at the local alternatives. I question the ability for the local chain restaurants to return a profit. I believe the problem with locally owned restaurants is there are so many good ones that you may have a good meal there once, but may not be back again for a year or more as you're out trying all the other choices.
Every time I pass chain row at MPTC, they are packed.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,353,565 times
If you say so. I don't know anyone locally that eats at chain restaurants. I often meet people on business or new to the area that will eat at Applebees or some other chain because it's a 'known', but no one I know that's been here longer than a year.

How many chains do you see in the 'Where did you eat' thread?

Old 06-20-2014, 12:15 PM

2,310 posts, read 2,957,926 times
Quote:
If you say so. I don't know anyone locally that eats at chain restaurants. I often meet people on business or new to the area that will eat at Applebees or some other chain because it's a 'known', but no one I know that's been here longer than a year.

Outback is always good..... Applebee's, or at least the one in West Ashley, should burn to the ground and be made into something that has decent service. Waiting 45 min to be seated, 30min to have our order taken, and then 1 hour for the food to get there is annoying when the food is cold by the time you get it.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:46 PM

120 posts, read 153,199 times
Quote:
+1

Why in the world would you want some pre-packeged chain stuff when you can have local farm to table choices? Chains will always struggle in Charleston as the local restaurants bring a much higher quality product with plenty of diversity.
While I completely agree with you I still have to laugh a little bit because when I read your comment I immediately thought of this video clip that I saw recently:

the good part starts about 20 seconds into it

Portlandia - In the restaurant - YouTube

Old 06-20-2014, 02:55 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,126 times
Quote:

Not many because it asks for local and anyone that mentions a chain gets virtual ***** slap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area