Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM

167 posts, read 315,478 times

Advertisements

Overall I feel very safe in the Charleston area, but the savagery of some of random killings just shocks me sometimes . . . like the Marley Lion case or the CofC kid who was murdered trying to sell his pickup. It's like life is so cheap to some of these animals around here.

Like others have said just be observant and don't look for trouble. And if you end up on James Island get with the dude who offered advice on where to live -- after delivering pizza there for a year when I first moved to the area I agree there are parts of JI you want to stay the heck away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,248 times
Most areas of James Isl are ok but yes, there are some areas I wouldn't want to be delivering pizzas after dark!

Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,551 times
As per he FBI stats ... some of which you can get on this site ... The city of Charlestons violent crime rate is about half the national average...at times the stats will include some of the close by cities ... ie.. North Charleston.. which is a separate city and changes the numbers dramatically. Since the local media cover those areas as well .. reading the paper or watching the news without knowing that would have you believe that the crime rate is high ... for Charleston city... its not.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:29 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This may help OP: http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2013...LowtoHigh).pdf

Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM

363 posts, read 439,311 times
i have an amazing, true story to tell. My daughter's bike was stolen from her place of work downtown on East Bay. The bike lock she used was probably inferior (she has a better one now), and it sounds like she didn't put it on the bike correctly...now, this bike was pretty expensive and fairly unique. Still, Chas is a big city, so bye-bye bike, right? But, my daughter wouldn't accept that, so she posted pictures offering a reward, and gave pics to local police. Lo and behold, they found her bike abandoned at Market Street within the week, with only one bad scratch on it, which probably happened when it was stolen and yanked free. I am still amazed that the bike was recovered, even though from the very first day, they said it was probably stolen by someone from the projects. I know it's not on the same level of crime as mugging, robbery, rape, etc. but still!! I am grateful that the police took the time, when clearly they have many other priorities!!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That report refers to the OMBs Charleston-North Charleston Metro Statistical Area, which is all of Charleston, Dorchester and Berkeley counties. And while it does put our area in the context of national crime rates, there's quite a bit of variance in violent crime between cities within the MSA.

The SC Law Enforcement Division puts out an annual report on crime which breaks down crime by city (near the end). Unfortunately the most current year available right now is 2011. I could have sworn we had the 2012 report already. Maybe someone else can find it. I'm away from my computer at the moment.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,261 times
Crime Stats Charleston County
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston's reputation for crime vs the stats??-stats.png  

Old 08-17-2014, 04:24 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
That report refers to the OMBs Charleston-North Charleston Metro Statistical Area, which is all of Charleston, Dorchester and Berkeley counties. And while it does put our area in the context of national crime rates, there's quite a bit of variance in violent crime between cities within the MSA.

The SC Law Enforcement Division puts out an annual report on crime which breaks down crime by city (near the end). Unfortunately the most current year available right now is 2011. I could have sworn we had the 2012 report already. Maybe someone else can find it. I'm away from my computer at the moment.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
Yes, but it is tough to compare just cities, as many aren't able to annex unincorporated areas due to everything being incorporated in other regions. So, using metro areas is as fair as it gets in terms of a comparison.

Also, North Charleston is the city with the higher rate out of the two metro city centers.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:48 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Even Mt Pleasant has crime but it's less than say North Chuck or parts of Goose Creek.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Even Mt Pleasant has crime but it's less than say North Chuck or parts of Goose Creek.
Mt P. doesn't have much violent crime though, that's why the murder the other day caused such a stir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area